Boston Globe Bruce Cassidy interview about line combos

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I saw no indication in thy article that Backes would be on the 4th line.. unless I missed something.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
It sounds like you have made up your mind on Bjork. We'll find out soon enough as he is going to get a long look this year. Even if he hits a few speed bumps...last year was his first pro year. He has only played 39 professional games and has produced respectable numbers.

Besides the stats, Bjork offers something the Bruins can use. He's an aggressive, creative, skilled two-way player who can skate like the wind. He has the tools and toolbox. The only question is whether he can settle down and put it all together. He was buzzing around a bit too aimlessly last year leading up to the injury. He could stand to simplify his game a bit. If he lines up next to Bergeron and Marchand, he is going to face top line talent night in and night out. That is a big ask. It will be a great challenge.

I am rooting for him.

Fenian basically slept through Bjork's first 15 games where he looked good. He conveniently awoke for when he got hurt, and seems to have made up his mind from that point on.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Fenian basically slept through Bjork's first 15 games where he looked good. He conveniently awoke for when he got hurt, and seems to have made up his mind from that point on.

Meh, I actually understand and agree with some of Fenian's concerns. Bjork looked underweight last year. He needs to get stronger if he is going to be effective for a full season. While he did look good for a stretch, even Cassidy admitted that he hit a wall early on. With a bit of extra strength, even on his down days, Bjork will be an effective checker and penalty killer thanks to his speed. Look at Jonathan Drouin. Loads of speed and skill. But he plays a light game. Bjork is more aggressive than Drouin. But he needs to add muscle. That is pretty much it, though.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Meh, I actually understand and agree with some of Fenian's concerns. Bjork looked underweight last year. He needs to get stronger if he is going to be effective for a full season. While he did look good for a stretch, even Cassidy admitted that he hit a wall early on. With a bit of extra strength, even on his down days, Bjork will be an effective checker and penalty killer thanks to his speed. Look at Jonathan Drouin. Loads of speed and skill. But he plays a light game. Bjork is more aggressive than Drouin. But he needs to add muscle. That is pretty much it, though.

I agree with everything you're saying. He definitely needs to add some weight and in game, he will have to play with his head up. Fenian just seems to be down on most of the Bruins prospects, and it seems to stem from people being high on them, and also those players not playing the style of game he likes. He did the same thing with Heinen.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
It sounds like you have made up your mind on Bjork. We'll find out soon enough as he is going to get a long look this year. Even if he hits a few speed bumps...last year was his first pro year. He has only played 39 professional games and has produced respectable numbers.

Besides the stats, Bjork offers something the Bruins can use. He's an aggressive, creative, skilled two-way player who can skate like the wind. He has the tools and toolbox. The only question is whether he can settle down and put it all together. He was buzzing around a bit too aimlessly last year leading up to the injury. He could stand to simplify his game a bit. If he lines up next to Bergeron and Marchand, he is going to face top line talent night in and night out. That is a big ask. It will be a great challenge.

I am rooting for him.
I'm not rooting against him, I just don't know many contending teams putting a player with less than half a pro season on their top line and also not having an answer for their third line center. Relying just on prospects is a bad plan. Period. If you are in a rebuild fine but I don't want to hear how great this team is or how they had 112 points last year when they have so many holes that are expected to be filled by rookies with virtually no pro experience (Studinka, Frederic and Bjork).

I hope Frederic comes in and is a young David Backes and learns from him how to be a great, physical two way center, I would feel much better with a veteran with experience in place if he fails, I hope Bjork scores 25/30 with Bergeron and Marchand, if he isn't ready Pastrnak has to move back to that line and you still have a hole on line 2, or are you willing to throw away a season for these players development while Bergeron, Chara, Krecji and Rask all get older?

If going the rookie route at least go with players who have some pro time, DeBrusk benefitted from his year in Providence I'm sure Studincka would be fine with another year of juniors and Frederic with a year in Providence. Bjork could step in but ideally not on a top line, it's counting too much on unknowns.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
I'm not rooting against him, I just don't know many contending teams putting a player with less than half a pro season on their top line and also not having an answer for their third line center. Relying just on prospects is a bad plan. Period. If you are in a rebuild fine but I don't want to hear how great this team is or how they had 112 points last year when they have so many holes that are expected to be filled by rookies with virtually no pro experience (Studinka, Frederic and Bjork).

I hope Frederic comes in and is a young David Backes and learns from him how to be a great, physical two way center, I would feel much better with a veteran with experience in place if he fails, I hope Bjork scores 25/30 with Bergeron and Marchand, if he isn't ready Pastrnak has to move back to that line and you still have a hole on line 2, or are you willing to throw away a season for these players development while Bergeron, Chara, Krecji and Rask all get older?

If going the rookie route at least go with players who have some pro time, DeBrusk benefitted from his year in Providence I'm sure Studincka would be fine with another year of juniors and Frederic with a year in Providence. Bjork could step in but ideally not on a top line, it's counting too much on unknowns.

These are all valid concerns! One of the things that I keep an eye on, with regards to Bjork, is that he is actually a little bit older than DeBrusk. While DeBrusk certainly benefited from the year in Providence, and Bjork might need some time in Providence this year...I don't think he is that far off and if he isn't ready to start the season in the NHL, he could be quite ready a few months in. He's 22.

As for the 3C role, I love the idea of Frederic playing on a line with Backes as a mentor. That being said, I don't force it if he isn't ready this year. While JFK didn't exactly light the world on fire in his 1 NHL game, he was a key player for Providence and plays a game similar to Riley Nash (albeit with a bit more skill and creativity). JFK turns 22 in October as well. Frederic is still quite young...but who knows, when your ready, your ready!

Lastly, I also refuse to ignore a player like Ryan Fitzgerald, who embodies the modern NHL 3C (as long as he can win draws)...and turns 24 at the start of the season.

We'll see though. There are options aside from those mentioned by Cassidy in his interview. Camp will be interesting.

Reactions: Fenian24

Son of Donegal

Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com

Also - speaking of contending teams...the two most dominant teams in each conference are loaded with youth.

Two of Tampa's top 9 centers are 22 or younger (Point, Cirelli) and both were drafted out of the top 2 rounds. Point was arguably Tampa's best forward in the playoffs.
Winnipeg has Conner, Laine, Roslovic, and Ehlers all 22 or under. Granted, they are all marquis picks, but these are essentially rookies or 2nd year players in the top line or two.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Bruins having 22 year old wingers in their top two lines, especially when they are playing next to guys like Bergeron, Marchad, or Krejci.

Reactions: Fenian24

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
I would keep Pasta with Bergy and Marchand but I can see why Cassidy would explore if a skilled rookie there would give him two top lines.

What I don’t want is for Kuraly to be the 3C. He’s not a creative C. Just like Wagner and Acciari. Keep them all on line 4 or press box and give that 3C spot to someone who can create offense.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Also - speaking of contending teams...the two most dominant teams in each conference are loaded with youth.

Two of Tampa's top 9 centers are 22 or younger (Point, Cirelli) and both were drafted out of the top 2 rounds. Point was arguably Tampa's best forward in the playoffs.
Winnipeg has Conner, Laine, Roslovic, and Ehlers all 22 or under. Granted, they are all marquis picks, but these are essentially rookies or 2nd year players in the top line or two.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Bruins having 22 year old wingers in their top two lines, especially when they are playing next to guys like Bergeron, Marchad, or Krejci.

Boston's 2008-09 team was pretty impressive too with guys like Krejci, Wheeler, Kessel, Lucic and Hunwick all 22 or under (Bergeron, 23; Stuart, 24).

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Since there was some Krejci talk in here, I'm going to leave this right here.
Great research.

I actually gave up defending Krejci here years ago as it is an exercise in futility. He's not much of a "hustler" and is instead a very cerebral player and (I believe) that makes him a constant target for the less cerebral hockey fans in Bruins nation.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I know Bjork needs to bulk up a bit but the injury he sustained was him trying to duck out of a hit. That was not smart and he just learned not to come across the middle with speed when guys like Martin are around. Some time in the AHL would be good for him. He has the skill, speed and brains to be a good player, just needs some seasoning. Donato on the top line to learn from the best, then go to Heinen if Donato cannot handle it. Pasta has aged a bit and will not go offside with Krech like he used to. He has learned how to temper his game.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I know Bjork needs to bulk up a bit but the injury he sustained was him trying to duck out of a hit. That was not smart and he just learned not to come across the middle with speed when guys like Martin are around. Some time in the AHL would be good for him. He has the skill, speed and brains to be a good player, just needs some seasoning. Donato on the top line to learn from the best, then go to Heinen if Donato cannot handle it. Pasta has aged a bit and will not go offside with Krech like he used to. He has learned how to temper his game.
This 100% inaccurate. Bjork's shoulder injury happened when Beauchemin cross checked him in the upper arm and he dislocated his shoulder. There was no hit to duck out of.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
6 million dollar Callahan helped Tampa beat us on the 4th line. it can work

It also doesn’t matter what line he is on. He’s here and it’s unlikely he goes anywhere so I see little to no point in crying about it. Same thing with Krejci and his supposed “only cares during the playoffs” and “should be able to produce regardless of linemates” stuff. He’s also unlikely to play for another team.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Since there was some Krejci talk in here, I'm going to leave this right here.

I was DK’s biggest fan...and then became an advocate of possibly trading him for youth/picks when the team began its downward spiral in the final Julien years.

At this point, however, I don’t see how any return could outpace his value given his age. I wish we still had 25 year old David Krejci, but we don’t. And that’s just the way it goes. As this data shows, he’s a great center for Jake DeBrusk who is, rather obviously, going to be a very good top 6 player.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
This 100% inaccurate. Bjork's shoulder injury happened when Beauchemin cross checked him in the upper arm and he dislocated his shoulder. There was no hit to duck out of.
Don’t remember exactly but wasn’t he concussed on the Martin hit? Skating with with his head down in traffic. Bad habit he’s hopefully grown out of

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Ya the cross check I remember. Seemed like a nothing play at the time.

The Martin one I don’t remember the outcome. Definitely got caught in the tracks though lol

Martin actually got injured as well on the collision with Bjork, which is fairly impressive considering the weight difference. I like Bjork quite a bit, and while Cassidy mentions him, I am still wondering about the timetable on his rehab. IIRC, he wasn't going to be recovered until early August according to the reports.

If that's the case, then I would not be penciling him into any lineups. Offseason training programs are essential for success in the NHL these days and if Bjork was unable to train until August, he will be behind the 8 ball for most of the year. At the very least, he will need to start his season in PRO and work himself into playing shape.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Martin actually got injured as well on the collision with Bjork, which is fairly impressive considering the weight difference. I like Bjork quite a bit, and while Cassidy mentions him, I am still wondering about the timetable on his rehab. IIRC, he wasn't going to be recovered until early August according to the reports.

If that's the case, then I would not be penciling him into any lineups. Offseason training programs are essential for success in the NHL these days and if Bjork was unable to train until August, he will be behind the 8 ball for most of the year. At the very least, he will need to start his season in PRO and work himself into playing shape.
I wondered about that too. If he hasn’t rained all summer forget about seeing him until December.

I still think Donato ends up in that first line spot. Pastrnak drops to line 2. Heinen on line 3.
Sometime during the year there will be injuries. I’d guess Bjork will be the first call up if he’s healthy enough to go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad