Boston Globe Bruce Cassidy interview about line combos

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Martin actually got injured as well on the collision with Bjork, which is fairly impressive considering the weight difference. I like Bjork quite a bit, and while Cassidy mentions him, I am still wondering about the timetable on his rehab. IIRC, he wasn't going to be recovered until early August according to the reports.

If that's the case, then I would not be penciling him into any lineups. Offseason training programs are essential for success in the NHL these days and if Bjork was unable to train until August, he will be behind the 8 ball for most of the year. At the very least, he will need to start his season in PRO and work himself into playing shape.
I thought Kalman wrote an article saying the plan was for Bjork to play 2 out of 3 games at the Buffalo tournament ?

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
This isn't just gifting players rosters spots that don't deserve them. These three centers (JFK, Frederic and Studnicka) are players they have drafted and developed along at their own pace and have made pleasant progress. At some point you have to take the training wheels off and let them compete for spots. The Bruins have not made a habit of putting players in too early or playing players that don't deserve the ice time. Even Heinen got demoted early last year when he wasn't giving enough and managed to bounce back.

If the team goes from having FOUR rookies (McAvoy, DeBrusk, Heinen and Grzelcyk) in important roles playing big minutes to only having two (lets say Bjork and JFK) then I see that as a nice step forward. If they feel the center prospects are ready to contribute then I'm willing to give them a chance. I mean a guy like Riley Nash was basically a career 4th liner until last year and he managed to be a great fit with Backes and Heinen.

The real issue will be if the depth at the center position gets tested with injuries. That is where it will be important to see how guys like Fitzgerald fair as far as camp goes. Apart for JFK he's on of the only other guys with real pro experience and if I recall correctly he played a lot of wing for Providence last season (someone correct me if I have this backwards)

Worst comes to worst and the team has to make a trade for a borderline 3rd line center...how expensive is that really going to cost?

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I thought Kalman wrote an article saying the plan was for Bjork to play 2 out of 3 games at the Buffalo tournament ?

Maybe? I haven't seen much of anything on him for the last two-three months.

Edit, just saw this:

Bruins' Anders Bjork: Will make appearance in charity game

That's good news and they say he will be "ready" for Camp. Personally, I still would not be surprised if he's a little behind and ends up starting the year in PRO.

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Cassidy was way too stubborn with his lines last year, especially in the playoffs where he absolutely needed to juggle them. This, in my opinion, shows his lack of experience.

He needs to be willing to put Pastrnak with Debrusk & Krejci, and try either someone like Bjork or Donato with Marchand & Bergeron.

*Of course, things would change if they can add a top 6 winger

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Marchand-Bergeron-Pasta
DeBrusk-Krejci-Heinen
Donato-JFK/Stud/Frederic-Backes
Bjork-Kuraly-Wagner
Acciari-Nordstrom

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Moore-Miller
Griz-McQuaid

Rask-Halak

Can’t wait for the season to start.

This team is among top contenders for 1st in the East.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad