Bruce Boudreau

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
sure. its a legit concern about the playoffs. you can't judge the playoffs til the playoffs. right? its hard for him to be any better as a coach this season than where they are. first place. last time I checked he has the best winning percentage of any coach all time.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Every fanbase does it, which is why it's pointless to complain about it. May as well carp about the weather.

So yeah, BB was probably unfairly judged as underachieving, but in DC at least it was based in part on the expectation of going deep in the playoffs with a team that had been marketed as something much more than a first round flameout. The upward trend with the Young Guns was part of the "building the nations hockey capital" or whatever and the waves peeled back from the Prez Trophy peak.

If BB were given 15+ years to make the playoffs over and over he might have eventually broken through, but IMO a lot of that would depend on the locker room dynamic. I do think he lost the room toward the end and maybe it was the country club environment or maybe it was BB losing effectiveness from having essentially two volumes...chatty and pissed.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
All I remember is some of the worst stretch of hockey I've seen this team play. Weren't we on a 6 or so game losing streak when he was axed? Certainly looked like the team wasn't responding to Bruce. I don't think anyone disagreed that Bruce needed to be gone at that point.

As for Selanne... to me it sounded like he was more pissed off about Bruce not properly communicating with him. Which goes back to what I said about Bruce, that he is a terrible manager of players. We want all the players to be pros and understand everything, but athletes, in every sport, are fickle and need to be talked to like human beings.

One thing I like about Trotz, which I saw during the road to WC, was the fact that he is constantly talking to the players. The segment about how difficult it was to tell Chimmers that Trotz was gonna scratch him was a good one, then we see him actually taking the time to talk it out with him. Things like that matter to players.

A couple points:

1. We were on a 5 game losing streak. But again up to that point, even in those 5 games, our advanced stats weren't bad. We had a similar 8 game losing streak the year before too.

2. RE: Communication - Scotty Bowman, perhaps the greatest coach ever, was an abysmal communicator. His wannabe twin Keenan was much the same. There were stories about Bowman:

In one instance he was on the elevator with Dino and Dino tried to talk to him and Bowman didn't say a word. Bowman hated Dino. He hated Coffey. Barely talked to either.

Once Bowman asked Dave Barr (or maybe it was Sean Burr?) what he thought of him. The player responded something like "Your an idiot who likes to play with toy trains" or something to that effect.

Point being is that there are far worse communciators than BB. Hunter never even talked to Knuble or Erskine to tell them why they weren't playing. Same with Halpern.

I don't think this is a legit concern here. Selanne was obviously sucking.

Every fanbase does it, which is why it's pointless to complain about it. May as well carp about the weather.

So yeah, BB was probably unfairly judged as underachieving, but in DC at least it was based in part on the expectation of going deep in the playoffs with a team that had been marketed as something much more than a first round flameout. The upward trend with the Young Guns was part of the "building the nations hockey capital" or whatever and the waves peeled back from the Prez Trophy peak.

If BB were given 15+ years to make the playoffs over and over he might have eventually broken through, but IMO a lot of that would depend on the locker room dynamic. I do think he lost the room toward the end and maybe it was the country club environment or maybe it was BB losing effectiveness from having essentially two volumes...chatty and pissed.

IMO..again just me...it wasn't a country club atmospher that sunk him.

It was the trash D GMGM always gave him. No vet stabalizing force. Half promising youngsters and half AHL fodder.

GMGM also always gave him a fresh faced 20 year old goalie as his best option too. Theodore was a castoff. Vokoun wasn't much better and BB didn't even have a full year with him.

When a GM gives a coach a crappy D and young goalies the results aren't going to be pretty. BB made them so and thus was a victim of his own doing...making a roster look better than it actually is.

I think he is doing the same in Anaheim.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
My personal feelings on BB is that the guy is a terrible manager of players. He doesn't know the right things to say. It is why his message wore thin here, and why the guys tuned him out. He lost Ovi partly because I think he had absolutely no idea how to handle a star of his caliber. Eventually he lost the locker room. I think there is something to what I'm saying because Selanne came out and said similar things about Bruce last year. I wish Bruce well and I was hoping he would improve that aspect of coaching but everything I have read so far makes me think he's still the same old Bruce.

I think this couldn't be further from the truth. A terrible manager of players doesn't get career years out of nearly everyone that played for him.

Bruce was sunk by McPhee's inability to get him a defense or consistent goaltending.

The team started losing because the young guns stopped producing, and that continued post-Bruce pretty much until this season.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
It was the trash D GMGM always gave him.

Yeah IMO Boudreau's problem in DC was that he made the team look a whole lot better than they really were in the regular season but when they got to the playoffs the defense was just not up to the task.

2 of their top 4 then, guys who should be in their prime now, Morrisonn and Schultz, are not even in the league anymore. That says a ton IMO.

Isn't that what you want from a coach, to make the team more than the sum of its parts? And he definitely did that in DC. But that lack of talent on the backend always caught up with them in the playoffs and for whatever reason many Caps fans have vilified him for it when that was on McPhee.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah IMO Boudreau's problem in DC was that he made the team look a whole lot better than they really were in the regular season but when they got to the playoffs the defense was just not up to the task.

2 of their top 4 then, guys who should be in their prime now, Morrisonn and Schultz, are not even in the league anymore. That says a ton IMO.

Isn't that what you want from a coach, to make the team more than the sum of its parts? And he definitely did that in DC. But that lack of talent on the backend always caught up with them in the playoffs and for whatever reason many Caps fans have vilified him for it when that was on McPhee.

He was an offense-first coach and the offense dried up. We may look at the defense and add it to our long-standing complaints about GMGM's roster building philosophies but what got BB fired was his failure to re-ignite the scoring. I think he's said he regrets not sticking to his guns and going more conservative and defensive to compensate.

And to many, the "rock star" environment contributed to the eventual decline of the offensive players. Olie may have said something about the rock star thing at the time, iirc, so it wasn't just a snarky fan reaction.

For that you can probably spread the blame around, including Bruce "I'm gonna need a Cup holder THIS big" Boudreau (haven't seen Trotz, Oates or Hunter in any local TV commercials....)

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
when he became a defense first coach the caps just about led the league in gaa after a mid season change. he prefers offense first.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
He was an offense-first coach and the offense dried up. We may look at the defense and add it to our long-standing complaints about GMGM's roster building philosophies but what got BB fired was his failure to re-ignite the scoring. I think he's said he regrets not sticking to his guns and going more conservative and defensive to compensate.

And to many, the "rock star" environment contributed to the eventual decline of the offensive players. Olie may have said something about the rock star thing at the time, iirc, so it wasn't just a snarky fan reaction.

For that you can probably spread the blame around, including Bruce "I'm gonna need a Cup holder THIS big" Boudreau (haven't seen Trotz, Oates or Hunter in any local TV commercials....)

Well in 2010-11 we were 4th in GAA by seasons end and won the East despite the 8 game losing streak and being in 8th place around New Years.

Also...you really going by Kolzig's word? He, like Selanne, had no love for Boudreau. If you recall Kolzig was violently angry during 07-08 after we acquired Huet. His last game for us we lost 5-0 in Chicago and he didn't exactly play good.

Kolzig felt he should have been put in at game 5 of the playoffs vs the Flyers that year.

When the season ended he ripped his name tag off and stormed out of there. So I guess you could say he was a bit bitter at Boudreau. Boudreaus offensive system put alot of stress on the D and goalie..but it was highly effective for the team. For Kolzig personally? Not so much.

Kolzig, like Selanne, is a proud athelete. Its hard for them to realize they no longer have it. When they get embarrassed they lash out at the authority figure who forsaken them.

Under Boudreau the Caps were brash and feared. They had a swagger about them and were relentless on offense and always pushed the attack. Turtling was not an option for our glory years.

He did all that with the likes of Shamo, Jurcina, Pothier, Erskine, Schultz etc playing significant minutes on the back end.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Kolzig was not the only one, but nice character assassination attempt. LOL

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002

He was a coach that got the most out of a very limited roster by playing to the talent he did have's strengths. That is what a good coach should be doing. Forcing a defensive system on a team with little defensive acumen like Hanlon did with the exact same roster is not likely to bring any kind of results. Again, how much time do you want to be spending in your own zone when your top 4 is Green, Poti, Morrisonn, and Schultz?

And yes he did bend to McPhee's will after the Habs loss and toned the attacking down a bit and then when the offense dried up went trap and succeeded at that for a while but that team was never good enough personnel wise defensively to succeed in the playoffs that way outside of getting out of this world goaltending to go with it.

Boudreau's chief failing was making everyone believe that team was a heck of a lot better than it really was IMO. But when the playoffs come around and you see the same team over and over again and the game planning goes up considerably the massive holes he was able to camoflauge in the regular season were fairly easily exposed.

Sure you can put some of it on how he handled his players but that is only a minute portion of the problem compared to who many of those players actually were IMO. Again, Morrisonn and Schultz are out of the league when they should be in their prime. That isn't on Boudreau, that is on them not being all that good hockey players.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Kolzig was not the only one, but nice character assassination attempt. LOL

Really? I thought it was well known at the time that Kolzig had alot of resentment for how he was treated at the end. Am I wrong?

Fact is we all kinda saw it...he was losing it. Bad knees, slower reaction time...

I don't think I meant to destroy Kolzigs character. He's a great guy by all accounts. But a proud athelete mixed with human nature can skew his perception of BB.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Expect the backup goalie to be starting in what will be your one and only game 7 this year ;)

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Expect the backup goalie to be starting in what will be your one and only game 7 this year ;)

BB does seem to get dealt lots of young goalies however.

Going to Varlamov in 09 was absolutely the right call IMO. Takes guts for a coach to make a call like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad