Signing(s): Browns hire Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski as head coach

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Thought they would go for a big fish TBH, someone like Meyer, Harbaugh or Rielly (if they could scoop him away).

Does Stefanski have that great of a track record? & who is even making these decisions with Dorsey gone? Thats a big question on its own.

BergyTime37

Jun 17, 2015
10 points with Diggs, Thielen, Cook, Rudolph, and Kirk Cousins. I haven't like many of the Browns hires in the past, this one I can say for certain I despise it. You just gave the keys to a guy who had no experience, and it was a disaster. This time you turn around and do the exact same thing?

It should have always been McCarthy, who has had previous sustained success as a Head Coach. Good luck Kevin, I'm sure you're different from the other 17 :baghead:.

Reactions: Voight

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's the Browns and these things always end poorly with them so it'll be tough to overcome that but Stefanski is a good coach. I think he'll help Baker quite a bit and put him in a position to succeed. The only question I'd have with him is how much was the Vikings offensive success him and how much was it Kubiak? If he brings Kubiak with him to Cleveland, which would really suck for the Vikings, then it doesn't matter but it's worth wondering if he doesn't.

I also think it's a bit ridiculous to complain about him and say he shouldn't be hired based on what happened yesterday. It's only one game and the Vikings OL got completely dominated so I'm not sure how much play calling was at fault. If the Browns made this decision after the Saints game this wouldn't even be a conversation and that was literally one game ago.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The thing with Stefanski is hes relatively unknown. By that I mean when Shanahan was hired, we heard about his work with the Falcons offence, Pederson with the Chiefs, Reich with the Eagles etc. Even this year, I have been hearing Greg Romans name a fair bit. (also remember hearing it a lot when he was the 49ers OC).

Time will tell but I think a veteran / experienced coach at either the NFL or NCAA level would have been a much better choice. You need a guy like that with all the young players Cleveland has. Someone to lay down the law and not let the inmates run the asylum.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Im havin sex w u rn
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
It's the Browns and these things always end poorly with them so it'll be tough to overcome that but Stefanski is a good coach. I think he'll help Baker quite a bit and put him in a position to succeed. The only question I'd have with him is how much was the Vikings offensive success him and how much was it Kubiak? If he brings Kubiak with him to Cleveland, which would really suck for the Vikings, then it doesn't matter but it's worth wondering if he doesn't.

I also think it's a bit ridiculous to complain about him and say he shouldn't be hired based on what happened yesterday. It's only one game and the Vikings OL got completely dominated so I'm not sure how much play calling was at fault. If the Browns made this decision after the Saints game this wouldn't even be a conversation and that was literally one game ago.
Good point about his OL being destroyed yesterday.

There’s not much you can call when your line can’t block.

Reactions: Avs_19

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Another ? hiring for the Browns. The team needs a superstar coach to turn them around, this guy isn't it.

Reactions: Voight

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The Browns need a guy who can keep all of the big personalities in line, help Mayfield progress versus regress, get disciplined performance out of the whole team (cut out the dumb procedural penalties), and put together and execute a quality offensive game plan.

Is this guy the one to do it? No idea.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Good point about his OL being destroyed yesterday.

There’s not much you can call when your line can’t block.
And the Browns need to improve the OL as well. Almost a carbon copy of the Vikings talent wise on O in the skill positions. But all comes down to the OL. They can run block fairly well with Chubb. Pass protection needs work.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Browns need a guy who can keep all of the big personalities in line, help Mayfield progress versus regress, get disciplined performance out of the whole team (cut out the dumb procedural penalties), and put together and execute a quality offensive game plan.

Is this guy the one to do it? No idea.

Thats why I think they would have been better off with a veteran, hard liner type of coach. Someone to whip them into shape.

Anyways, I guess we'll revisit this in a year.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Don't understand what other teams see so much out of Vikings' OCs that one of them gets at HC job every other year. Stefanski is okay but nothing I have seen from him looks like he's another McVay, Shanahan, or Pederson just waiting to breakout.

The Vikings offense (arguably top 5 talent overall at the RB/WR/TE positions) under-performed with him at the helm.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Don't understand what other teams see so much out of Vikings' OCs that one of them gets at HC job every other year. Stefanski is okay but nothing I have seen from him looks like he's another McVay, Shanahan, or Pederson just waiting to breakout.

The Vikings offense (arguably top 5 talent overall at the RB/WR/TE positions) under-performed with him at the helm.
In his defense, he’s been coaching Kirk Cousins the past two seasons.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I don’t think they would even get an interview with rules like that. The coach essentially has 0 say, which is why a first timer like Stefanski was OK with it.
But they also interviewed seven or eight candidates. The only one to turn them down was Rhule. The only guy they interviewed who took another job was McCarthy, be it also looks like that was worked out weeks ago.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
Browns needed to go the direction the Redskins went in. A culture changing no nonsense leader of men.

I personally think Rhule was the best hire of the offseason but it wouldnt work with the redskins or brown at this point.

I do think the redskins nailed the hire, Browns missed, Panthers took a home run swing and think it was a great choice, Cowboys are a ? just depends if McCarthy and Nolan learned theyre lessons from the past (mccarthy with making changes when needed, and Nolan not calling a vanilla defense), and the giants no clue who judge is maybe they found the next Harbaugh

BergyTime37

Jun 17, 2015
Is having Baker Mayfield really a step up from that though?

Right now probably not, Cousins is better than Mayfield. He certainly had a better year, made the playoffs, won a road game down in NO, puts up pretty good numbers, etc.

I do think with proper coaching Mayfields ceiling can be a bit higher than Cousins. Hopefully Stefanski brings in a QB coach, he's was so much better in 2018 with Ken Zampese as his QB coach.

member 157595

This explains a lot. No chance they were getting a elite/veteran coach with stipulations such as this. :facepalm:

Browns gonna Browns

Turn in game plans to the owner? :laugh:

Look in the mirror, Haslam. THAT'S the reason the Browns are a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad