Brown or Matthews - What's more impressive?

What's more impressive? Brown's goal streak or Matthews' goal total?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
[Connor, presumably] Brown’s streak is cool and I hope it goes on for some time, but the Sens are 2-5-1 over it and he’s not exactly fighting for something.

Matthews, on the other hand, has basically already secured the Rocket and is pacing for 67 goals in an 82 game season.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
In a vacuum, this is easily Matthews.

What is nice about Brown are the names he beat out for the record like Alfie and Spezza as a middling winger.

I think more people would be surprised about Brown’s feat than Matthews’, but that doesn’t make it more impressive.

Reactions: WillyNy

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Oh, I got no player in this. I just love all the Matthews threads in this part of the forum and wanted to make one myself.
LOL.
So I answered correctly then. :laugh:

I love Brown and quite honestly, what he did is actually more impressive. Longest goal streak in over 20 years.
And, for someone who's not a goal scorer.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

What is nice about Brown are the names he beat out for the record like Alfie and Spezza as a middling winger.

I think more people would be surprised about Brown’s feat than Matthews’, but that doesn’t make it more impressive.
Let me ask you this, if I had asked at the start of an 82 game season, which you thought was more likely.

Matthews winning the Rocket with over 60 goals or Brown scoring in 8 straight.

This is Browns vote, imo.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Let me ask you this, if I had asked at the start of an 82 game season, which you thought was more likely.

Matthews winning the Rocket with over 60 goals or Brown scoring in 8 straight.

This is Browns vote, imo.

Let me reply with this:

After Gretzky scored 200 points, I still think him scoring 200 points again is more impressive than Bernie Nicholls scoring 150 points.

Likelihood doesn't factor in to "impressiveness" IMO. As I put it, it's more surprising for sure.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan

Wait a second.
As a Sens fan, the names you come up with relating to a goal scoring record are: Alfredsson and Spezza?

Heatley
Hossa

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Wait a second.
As a Sens fan, the names you come up with relating to a goal scoring record are: Alfredsson and Spezza?

Heatley
Hossa

Well, those were the two guys that held the record of 6 games among others (like Batherson this year) until Connor Brown broke it.

I didn't just make them up.

EDIT: Heatley WAS one of them though.

EyqicgfXIAYP6yz.jpg

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Also:

(tied with 10 others)

Eyz-7lyWgAIy5zD.jpg

This is the best argument for Brown, since those are some pretty good contemporaries

Still, Matthews is much more impressive IMO - streaks can be fluky while totals are hard to argue

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I guess if you consider the fact that it's Connor Brown of all people who's on that streak you can say that one's more impressive. But say the two are the same player, Matthews' goal total is more impressive without much of a question.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Well, those were the two guys that held the record of 6 games among others (like Batherson this year) until Connor Brown broke it.

I didn't just make them up.

EDIT: Heatley WAS one of them though.

EyqicgfXIAYP6yz.jpg

I've never looked at Spezza and thought "now there's a goal scorer".
That's surprising.

Alfie, less surprising.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I've never looked at Spezza and thought "now there's a goal scorer".
That's surprising.

Sens fans were always very disappointed that he spent a great deal of time not shooting and instead looking to pass to Heatley (and others).

He had a laser beam for a wrist shot (kind of like Matthews only obviously not as lethal or accurate) but he just didn't use it all that much.

The Pizza Line was at its best when all three guys were equally disposed to pass or shoot, because opposing players didn't know what they'd do. But eventually Heatley would go back to cruising around with his stick in the air waiting for Spezza to dish it.

Spezza did score over 30 goals 5 times in his career, including 34 in 67 games.

But occasionally Spezza would go to extreme lengths to pass (including his infamous drop pass in the high part of the zone) when better shooting opportunities were available.

Last edited:

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Brown easily. What Matthews is doing isn't very impressive. He plays in such a crap division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad