News Article: Brooks speaks with Dolan.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Sure, and I'm not saying we shouldn't address it. I just don't wanna be stupid and make the team worse for the sake of character.

Taking Andersson over BPA and trading McDonagh because of leadership indicates to me that that ship already sailed.

Dolan only mentioning the captaincy as an explanation for the McDonagh trade is a massive red flag.

1) BPA and highest ceiling are not the same thing. I don’t think Lias had the highest ceiling. But he might have been the guy most likely to eventually be an impact player in the NHL.

2) Its just my opinion but I don’t the McDonagh trade had anything to do with leadership. I think it had to do with McDonagh being 30 next summer and potentially getting a contract that the team regrets sooner rather than later. McDonagh isn’t the sturdiest player in his 20s. I can’t see that trending in a good direction. The rest is just fluff. Talking points for the media and ownership. They traded Callahan for the same reason and he’s the kind of captain that people who hated McDonagh as captain probably adored.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
People still complaining about where these players were drafted are ridiculous. The draft has been over for almost a year now, all that matters from this point forward is how these players continue to develop, and Lias has had a very promising D+1 year. Let's see where his development progresses

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
Stick to discussing the article and not each other or you'll be removed from the thread and then some.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If a player is BPA on one team's draft board and not there on anyone elses the one team is probably wrong.

Nope. It is hard to see it at the top of the first round but it’s clearly pronounced in later rounds - one team’s draft board (in terms of ability to make the right selection instead of following consensus) is what separates a successful franchise from not so.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Drafts have been shown to be almost entirely random and over the long term, in all sports, there's roughly zero teams that have shown any consistency in being good at it. All they really show is the teams with the best success are just the teams that accumulate the most picks.

If the Rangers though Lundqvist was this super prospect why did they draft 7 players (including one goalie) ahead of him in the same draft? Why did Dallas take four guys before Jamie Benn? Why did the Flames take 3 guys before Gaudreau? They don't have any secrets that lets them find these hidden guys nobody knows about if they thought that way they would take them way earlier instead of risking someone else gets them first. It's just a numbers/luck game at this level. An NHL team would destroy mein a draft since I'm not a prospects expert but you're looking at a pool of 30 teams of experts that all have similar information.

Here's one article about the NFL - https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/no-team-can-beat-the-draft/

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Drafts have been shown to be almost entirely random and over the long term, in all sports, there's roughly zero teams that have shown any consistency in being good at it. All they really show is the teams with the best success are just the teams that accumulate the most picks.

If the Rangers though Lundqvist was this super prospect why did they draft 7 players (including one goalie) ahead of him in the same draft? Why did Dallas take four guys before Jamie Benn? Why did the Flames take 3 guys before Gaudreau? They don't have any secrets that lets them find these hidden guys nobody knows about if they thought that way they would take them way earlier instead of risking someone else gets them first. It's just a numbers/luck game at this level. An NHL team would destroy mein a draft since I'm not a prospects expert but you're looking at a pool of 30 teams of experts that all have similar information.

Here's one article about the NFL - https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/no-team-can-beat-the-draft/

Although not a guarantee, the precision of picks over time does increase substantially the higher you pick.

It gets into this accuracy vs. precision issue.

Let's say a team O picks in the top 5 for a decade. It's possible they could pick all duds, but if you amalgamated the picks of all teams picking in the top 3, picking studs over duds in the tops 5 would be overwhelmingly precise even if team O [fine okay the Oilers] were incredibly inaccurate with their top 3 picks.

I still wish the Rangers tanked a few more games to increase our lottery chances.

Last edited:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Although not a guarantee, the precision of picks over time does increase substantially the higher you pick.

It gets into this accuracy vs. precision issue.

Let's say a team O picks in the top 5 for a decade. It's possible they could pick all duds, but if you amalgamated the picks of all teams picking in the top 3, picking studs over duds in the tops 5 would be overwhelmingly precise even if team O [fine okay the Oilers] were incredibly in accurate with their top 3 picks.

I still wish the Rangers tanked a few more games to increase our lottery chances.

Yes of course, that's not the point though. Obviously teams with higher picks do better. And teams with more picks do better. But if every team somehow had the 10th pick (Imagine picks 1-9 went in some order and then all 31 teams say who they would like to take at pick 10) and you ran that year after year that is basically entirely random. Team's aren't significantly better at scouting the others although they all believe they are.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Yes of course, that's not the point though. Obviously teams with higher picks do better. And teams with more picks do better. But if every team somehow had the 10th pick (Imagine picks 1-9 went in some order and then all 31 teams say who they would like to take at pick 10) and you ran that year after year that is basically entirely random. Team's aren't significantly better at scouting the others although they all believe they are.

I'm saying there would be exponentially less variance in "who would they choose" if you polled the top 3 picks had all teams had an equal chance over the last 30 years.

I'm using the Russian example because prior to the end of the Cold War, some elite of the elite soviet players DID get picked in gonzo picks because teams weren't sure those players would ever be allowed to join the NHL. Example: Pittsburgh lucking out again getting Jagr at 6th right when the iron curtain fell. Bure and Fedorov were also at some absurd picks considering their KNOWN talents.

Let's say that for some really weird reason, no one picked Malkin or Ovechkin with the first 9 picks in 2004 because of some political reasons in the war, and then just after the 9th pick, there was peace on Earth, the chances that the other 20 teams who could have picked Ovechkin or Malin at 10 and 11 would just hit under 99.999999% if they had that chance.

The later picks become more iffy because the sure shit is gone.

I still wish they shaved a few more games off.

Last edited:

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Not for nothing but that is some very dialed in stuff from Mr Dolan who I think has been a tremendous owner for us and doesn’t get enough credit. He knows his team but he lets the hockey guys make the decisions. But everything he said there is spot on and would only be communicated by a guy who knows his hockey club.

He’s spot on with Mcdonagh too. Was not a good captain. The C hurt him badly. Stepan should have been the guy to get it quite frankly.
Agree with mostly all of this. Girardi should have been awarded the C.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
You’re responding to a comment I never made. Read what I said. I said “giving up assets” for him makes no sense, not “Erik Karlsson makes no sense for the Rangers”.

No. I was explaining why trading assets for EK would make sense. How many of our assets equal 1 of the best Dmen in the league? I’d be hard pressed not to make that deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad