Brooks: Goodenow out

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Sources have told The Post that a meeting is planned today in Manhattan that is expected to include NHL Board members Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux, league VP Bill Daly, NHLPA president Trevor Linden, VP Bill Guerin and senior director Ted Saskin, with at least some of the participants having met here yesterday and last night in an effort to establish a framework to achieve a peace-with-honor hard-cap $45M deal that would perhaps be phased in over the next two years.

Gretz and Mario are on the NHL Board of Governors? Whaaaat?

The Post learned late last night that union chief Bob Goodenow has been excused from the negotiating process by the NHLPA after a week of union confusion.

Not only has ESPN made it clear that it may exercise its freedom of choice not to televise the league next year, not only have a significant number of mid- and large-market teams urged the commissioner to get on with the victory lap, but The Post has learned of warnings from a major advertiser that it will move its money elsewhere if a deal is not completed in timely fashion.

Still, with so many reputations now on the line on both sides - The Great Gretzky did not come here to fail - it appears as if a grave situation is about to be resolved.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
mudcrutch79 said:
Gretz and Mario are on the NHL Board of Governors? Whaaaat?

in the end money is going to make the deal...

but not the NHL's.

ESPN and advertisers are telling the NHL and the PA to "Put Up, AND Shut Up"

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
X8oD said:
in the end money is going to make the deal...

but not the NHL's.

ESPN and advertisers are telling the NHL and the PA to "Put Up, AND Shut Up"
Good! Someone obviously needs to give both sides a reality check on just where their place is in the landscape of sports today. They want to wield some power again, they are going to have earn it. Right now, shut up and put a product on the ice or your done!!!

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
This would be great if true and I don't doubt Goodenow is on the verge of being overthrown. I'm still skeptical of the source though.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
If an agreement is indeed consummated, a well-placed source has told The Post, a 28-game schedule is likely to be played beginning March 3, followed by the traditional four-round playoff format.

Well-placed? This guy(or gal) better be hanging from Lemieux's bullocks for me to believe Brooks.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
gobuds said:
Brooks is a PA guy- if he is writing it, as much as I hate him, I have to believe it is true.

I'd have to beleive that too.

I would think Ted Saskin would be at the top of the list to replace him. He seems to be in it for the players more than Goodenow ever was.

X0ssbar

go kim johnsson said:
I'd have to beleive that too.

I would think Ted Saskin would be at the top of the list to replace him. He seems to be in it for the players more than Goodenow ever was.

I kind of like the idea of former players leading both the NHLPA and the league. They can put some key "business types" in key roles below them but if there are leadership changes I hope both sides consider former players.

So with that said I like the idea of Mike Gartner as the head of the NHLPA.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Top Shelf said:
I kind of like the idea of former players leading both the NHLPA and the league. They can put some key "business types" in key roles below them but if there are leadership changes I hope both sides consider former players.

Technically, a current player (Linden) leads the NHLPA. Goodenow is simply its administrator, something he seems to have forgotten over the past few months.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Top Shelf said:

Thats the way it should be. Bob Goodenow has addressed NO issues involved with player well being. Instigator Rule, Poor ice quality, Inconsistencies of Referees, Visors, and the Icing debacle which have led to an increase of unnecessary injuries.

He's simply a CBA lawyer. Get rid of him you stupid players

Grandpabuzz

Oct 13, 2003
Dallas, Texas
The deal with ESPN along with Mario and Wayne are the final mediators for the purpose of the monospoly and union conflict and defintly should result in a deal.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Grandpabuzz said:
The deal with ESPN along with Mario and Wayne are the final mediators for the purpose of the monospoly and union conflict and defintly should result in a deal.
wayne and mario won't let these talks die.

Plus, they act as the link between players and owners. This war wasnt over until they got involved.

MrMackey

Aug 7, 2003
cgy
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
If anyone's less of a hockey guy than Gary Bettman, Saskin's gotta be close.

That said, I have to agree with you. Saskin's been there for the players this whole time. For Christ sakes, when you're negotiating a CBA when your mother dies, you've got to be pretty committed to the cause.

Goodenow just seemed like he has been in it to look like a genius again.

futurcorerock said:
Thats the way it should be. Bob Goodenow has addressed NO issues involved with player well being. Instigator Rule, Poor ice quality, Inconsistencies of Referees, Visors, and the Icing debacle which have led to an increase of unnecessary injuries.

He's simply a CBA lawyer. Get rid of him you stupid players

The comment about the players is pretty unwarranted, especially considering that Bettman is exactly what you accuse Goodenow of being. He is hardly a hockey guy...

NYFAN

Jul 8, 2004
Long Island
I really don't think thats the case at all. He took a position he felt was best for the players, but foolishly, he refused to include a fall back position in his thinking. He chose a live by the sword die by the sword mentality, with no room for serious negotiation. His whole position was based on the owners lying and not being united. When they showed unity, his whole argument fell apart. Also, his whole argument was hurt by not bringing someone in to review the Leavit report. That is what actually killed his credibility!

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
dolfanar said:
The comment about the players is pretty unwarranted, especially considering that Bettman is exactly what you accuse Goodenow of being. He is hardly a hockey guy...

but hes representing owners. Owners arent really hockey guys either. He just needs to know how to run the business end, and he obviously knows that.

OntCanuck

Feb 18, 2005
Simcoe, Ontario
For Bob it's probably quite easy to continue fighting for the best deal possible. The time frame doesn't affect him, he still makes his money. Those lawyers again, it's like getting a divorce they are still filling paperwork right up until you no longer have any money to fight different issues.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
dolfanar said:

don't make this players vs. owners.

Bob Goodenow hasnt been gung-ho for his players with issues on the ice, but rather a connossieur of deals when it comes down to dollars.

Last edited:
X8oD said:
but hes representing owners. Owners arent really hockey guys either. He just needs to know how to run the business end, and he obviously knows that.

Pardon? The Commish doesn't need to know the hockey end of it? Ever think that that's exactly the reason the game has degenrerated into a clutch and grab fest with 20% of games ending in a tie?

I would argue that the commish needs to be far more of ahockey person than the head of the NHLPA. THe NHLPA has ONE concern, the CBA, it is a Union, the Commish of hockey needs to govern every aspect of the game from CBA to marketing, rule enforcement and on-ice entertainment.

Bettman has failed in almost every aspect. This CBA negotiation is pretty much his first big win in his tenure so far...

handtrick

Sep 18, 2004
Chattanooga, TN
In reality the commisioner's office needs to be revamped. There needs to be a real hockey guy that can work above the fray of the owners and the players and have some relative independence of both [ala Gretzky]; but there still needs to be a role of COO that is more lawyerly that a person like Bettman fills, thats represent the owner's interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad