News Article: Brooklyn/Belmont Arena Discussion (Islanders to play 20 games at NVMC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Why?

He is the one posting useless info. I'm sorry, he is reaching out to reporters, etc. Keeps bumping this for views. People need personal responsibility
I think Steve read the letter to the editor by Larry Penner about the LIRR in “The Island Now” and got triggered again.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Along with what happened last weekend

Signal problems can happen any time. But as far as the operation the LIRR has to run on Belmont Stakes Day, that would be different than what would occur if the spur were upgraded for full time service and had regularly scheduled trains going in and out of there during the course of a day. It really is comparing apples to oranges. Not just the handling of 90,000 people who all leave within a 2 hour window, but where the 9 empty trains have to be stored to accommodate that, scheduled to go west, etc. Will be much different for 18,000 people who will not all be taking a westbound train.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Yup, that's a horse of a different color.

I admit that I got carried away from last weekend's circus at Belmont Park LIRR. But I think a station between Bellerose and Queens Village on the main line (east of the triangle) may be a more realistic compromise, with shuttle trains running between Belmont North and Belmont Park LIRRs on event days, along with regular service between NYC and Belmont Park LIRR

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
I admit that I got carried away from last weekend's circus at Belmont Park LIRR. But I think a station between Bellerose and Queens Village on the main line (east of the triangle) may be a more realistic compromise, with shuttle trains running between Belmont North and Belmont Park LIRRs on event days, along with regular service between NYC and Belmont Park LIRR

Lol

My wife/in laws are from Bellerose. I'm extremely familiar with the station.

I'm begging, please please please stop.

Reactions: Eberzal

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A

So you're saying that Ronkonkoma is the best spot for the team?

Reactions: Eberzal

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So you're going to have people walk from the station on the main line, around the parking lot behind the backstretch, past the track, past Hempstead Turnpike, to the retail district which will be in the current south parking lot. Have people shop there, then carry their purchases back to the LIRR station on the main line, a 15-20 minute walk each way? You're not going to make the folks at NYAP (especially Value Retail) very happy.

Maybe one day you'll visit the area and actually see that what you are now suggesting makes no sense.

Steve55

Aug 21, 2005
Burnaby, BC, Canada
So you're going to have people walk from the station on the main line, around the parking lot behind the backstretch, past the track, past Hempstead Turnpike, to the retail district which will be in the current south parking lot. Have people shop there, then carry their purchases back to the LIRR station on the main line, a 15-20 minute walk each way? You're not going to make the folks at NYAP (especially Value Retail) very happy.

Maybe one day you'll visit the area and actually see that what you are now suggesting makes no sense.

Thanks for giving me the Value Retail angle. Now I have a better understanding as to why NYAP want Belmont LIRR to become full time.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Listen Steve, I'm not sure if you have ever lived out here but let me tell you something. Out here in New York you simply cannot just decide you want to build an arena at Willet's Point. Nothing just gets built here, massive donations and knowing the right people are needed like what happened at Belmont.

You do realize this is why they have been searching for a new arena since the 90's right? Belmont is their ONLY chance at staying here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad