GDT: Bronze U18: Czechs vs Finns

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kemell's played much stronger the last 2 periods. Wish he played like this the whole tournament.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Finland was the favourite in this one.

Top 4 is great result for czechs, welcome back?
Not really... Of the now big 4 we played USA, USA, Canada and Finland. We won 1 out of 4. No Russia, Belarus and Slovakia and Nolan Baumgartner may have more to do with us in bronze match.

Reactions: AppalachianFinn13

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Very weak Czechia at chasing the game. Finland somehow had better offensive chances despite not even trying to attack.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Great job Finland. No complaints.. clean victory. Well deserved medal for sure to add to your growing colleciton of well deserved medals. Kemmel is a great pick and your 16 year old Dmen is going to be Top 5 too in 2 drafts. Keep it up!

Really enjoyed this Czech team. If nothing else, this probably got Kulich into the first round and moved Hamara up. Also introduced the world to Eduard Sale who may be in the Top 5 talk next year. Curious if it moves the needle and gets Bares some attention! Also curious where Sapo ends up going.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think this was the best game Finland has played in this tournament. Shame its not the final.
Best game easily, although Czechia didn't really challenge Finland much at any point.

Perhaps they didn't really care about a bronze or something, I was expecting more.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Best game easily, although Czechia didn't really challenge Finland much at any point.

Perhaps they didn't really care about a bronze or something, I was expecting more.
And you keep going... wow.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
And you keep going... wow.
Do you disagree with something I said? If you do, go ahead and point it out and I can elaborate. I'm just giving my honest opinion. I've had crushing criticism for Team Finland's play when they've played poorly, as well.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
I didn't see all the Czech matches, but Kulich or Sale were not seen at all at 5vs5. Cooley, Howard or Lekkerimäki pulled their team in a balanced number on the ice, these Czech players collected points only in overtime games. That is not enough for a medal, which is why Finland deserves to take bronze today. Leinonen held his team today and returned what he had ruined yesterday. If the Czechs did not have an unusually high use of powerlifting, in fact, it would not differ in any way from their classic approach to QF. Being a fan of the Czech team, I would be dissatisfied and disappointed, it is not enough just for power medals to play medals.

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Do you disagree with something I said? If you do, go ahead and point it out and I can elaborate. I'm just giving my honest opinion. I've had crushing criticism for Team Finland's play when they've played poorly, as well.
It's not about being right or wrong, there's time and place for everything. Czechs hoped for their team to have better effort, no need to rub it in and downplay their team.

You have good views and points but you often overanalyze things imo. For example, after one or two games into this tournament you say that it's a miracle if Team Finland is going to semis. First two games means literally jack in my opinion. Sweden U-20 team had some crazy record of most consecutive preliminary rounds won and yet they have one U-20 gold in like 30 years.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's not about being right or wrong, there's time and place for everything. Czechs hoped for their team to have better effort, no need to rub it in and downplay their team.

You have good views and points but you often overanalyze things imo. For example, after one or two games into this tournament you say that it's a miracle if Team Finland is going to semis. First two games means literally jack in my opinion. Sweden U-20 team had some crazy record of most consecutive preliminary rounds won and yet they have one U-20 gold in like 30 years.
I don't downplay them, I was expressing my disappointment because I expected much more out of their team - they defeated Canada and I was expecting them to be more difficult than Canada as an opponent as well.

The time and place is right after the match. What do you expect me to do, wait a week and then come here to resurrect this old thread and go "hey by the way, the Czech team was disappointingly bad"? I probably wouldn't even remember what I thought of the team at the time, nor would I care to talk about it either. You just have to realize I'm not trash talking, I'm just expressing my opinion.

Next, a lesson on pessimism. For the human brain, it likes two things very much: When you predict things correctly, and when you receive a "positive surprise". More than anything, it dislikes a "negative surprise". So if I assume Finland does poorly, I'll either: 1. feel good for guessing right, or 2. feel even better for receiving a positive surprise. On the other hand, if I was optimistic instead, I'd either: 1. Feel good for guessing right or 2. feel terrible for receiving a negative surprise. Pessimism just makes you feel better regardless of the result, so it's the way to go.

The quarters against Canada were not good by Finland, and Finland essentially won due to how bad Canada's PK was, and how willing the refs were to call penalties against Canada. With different refs, the game might have gone very differently. Hence, I'd say my estimation wasn't that far off - Finland played better in semis and the bronze match, but getting to semis was a struggle, although it's true it doesn't exactly qualify as a miracle.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Also In the end, Finlands highest rated forward (Kemell) delivered and Czech highest rated forward (Sapovilav) did not. One player can change an outlook, Kemell was amazing this tournament.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Just another disappointment. The Finns deservedly won. Stupid mistakes, bad skating compared to the opponent.
So maybe in a year. That team is definitely better.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Great job Finland. No complaints.. clean victory. Well deserved medal for sure to add to your growing colleciton of well deserved medals. Kemmel is a great pick and your 16 year old Dmen is going to be Top 5 too in 2 drafts. Keep it up!

The way they are hyping him, sounds more like top-1 pick but I'm not sure about that one yet. Could he be a bigger talent than Miro Heiskanen even? I'm talking about the talent level only. Not what has happened today in Heiskanen's career, because it is a very big step for any defender to get that far when they haven't even been drafted yet.

Reactions: Czechboy

Nowotny

Dec 29, 2021
East Valley,AZ

Really enjoyed this Czech team. If nothing else, this probably got Kulich into the first round and moved Hamara up. Also introduced the world to Eduard Sale who may be in the Top 5 talk next year. Curious if it moves the needle and gets Bares some attention! Also curious where Sapo ends up going.
I think Kulich was in the (late) first round already.With his performance and "Russian situation"(given the uncertainty I think most of the teams will be reluctant to use high picks on Russian players) he will go in mid first round

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think Kulich was in the (late) first round already.With his performance and "Russian situation"(given the uncertainty I think most of the teams will be reluctant to use high picks on Russian players) he will go in mid first round
I posted it during tourney.. Kulich was everywhere before the tourney. From 18 to 65 between all the big rankings.

Now I think he is going to be between 20 and 30 on all of them when they get released. Just hope it wasn't a 'heater' and he actually cracks the NHL (other sure things for me were Kaut, Lauko and Jenik and I don't see them in the NHL full time yet).

Hope Hamara moves up too!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad