Broken ankle

A2HockeyDad

Nov 2, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
That's great news, jwitz! So only 3 weeks from when you got the cast off, right? That is excellent!

I get mine off (finally!) this Thursday - so I am hoping to perhaps be on the ice again by the end of the month! Our Spring league starts up again at the beginning of April, and even though I know I won't be close to 100% and be able to play in the first couple of games, I am hoping to play a big chunk - you're timing has me inspired!

Thanks for your continued updates, man!

Cheers,
Kev

jwitz04

Jan 18, 2011
Yep, 3 weeks after I got my cast off. Only been skating very little bit recently (roller hockey in my basement..), but today I actually played at the roller rink with a friend and tried pushing it(played 1v1), I was able to but not for very long before my ankle started hurting like a fu*&er. My ankle was pretty worn after playing for about 30-35 mins when I had to stop playing. Not bad for just having surgery 2.5 months ago though, and hopefully it'll become longer each time before pain starts to set in then hopefully one day (maybe a year?) when it will not affect me at all! I'm gonna be skating every now that I'm back at school. I'll let you know how I feel in a week!

A2HockeyDad

Nov 2, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Well. finally - my cast came off today!

Unfortunately, the doctor wants me to wear the removable boot thing for about a week or so still. The smaller splint/brace after that. I made my PT appointment for next Friday - I want to get moving and back on skates again! It didn't really hurt at all - I am allowed to walk on it as long as I use the boot, so I am off crutches for good. I actually went out and shoveled the snow my wife couldn't get last week off the drive. It was the first aerobic thing I could do since I got injured at the beginning of January! Felt good though.

I'll keep updating progress, but I'm hoping to be able to golf when in Flordia visiting the in-laws in a month, and be able to join my team at some point during the Spring season!

Cheers,
Kev

MeltingPlastic

Jul 1, 2010
Outside Philly
Congrats on the cast coming off.. feels great right! IDK if you'll have the sensation like i did but i still remember the first few mornings of not needing crutches reaching next to my bed for the crutches that weren't there, but that may be due to needing them for as long as i did haha

The boot isn't TOO bad.. bulky yes but prevents you from overextending the ankle. Good luck with the PT. You never realize how much balance comes from your ankle until you start doing exercises there

pshort

Mar 6, 2012
What do you use in your boot?

We all deserve the "Broken Bone" Badge of Hockey Honor. That's for sure! ;)

I was wondering though, anybody found a way to help with the boot of the skate rubbing against their plate? Seems like the screwheads are pinching the skin when skating... not fun. I have used parts of a gel insole, wrap it and suck up the pain.

Today was only the third time back out on the ice :D

I must say though, I am so happy to be skating again. I can't run...YET. But I can skate :vhappy:

MeltingPlastic

Jul 1, 2010
Outside Philly

I was wondering though, anybody found a way to help with the boot of the skate rubbing against their plate? Seems like the screwheads are pinching the skin when skating... not fun. I have used parts of a gel insole, wrap it and suck up the pain.

I must say though, I am so happy to be skating again. I can't run...YET. But I can skate :vhappy:

What i did was buy some doctor schol's foot bed liners that you can put into your shoe to replace worn out inserts and cut it into like a U shape. Then i tape that around my scar/screws/plate so that it protects it from rubbing etc. Works pretty well. My only issue is that my scar by one of the screws keeps opening so i need to go have the hardware removed but I dont want to be off the ice again so i'm waiting til the summer to talk to a doctor to see what he things

pshort

Mar 6, 2012
What i did was buy some doctor schol's foot bed liners that you can put into your shoe to replace worn out inserts and cut it into like a U shape. Then i tape that around my scar/screws/plate so that it protects it from rubbing etc. Works pretty well. My only issue is that my scar by one of the screws keeps opening so i need to go have the hardware removed but I dont want to be off the ice again so i'm waiting til the summer to talk to a doctor to see what he things

Thanks. I never thought to put it around the plate/screws.... I have been cutting the pads so that the soft "massaging" part goes on top of the screws. Thought that it might fill in the gaps between the screws - looks like a washboard down there! I will definately try your method.

Yeah, sounds like you need the hardware out! I know I am. Of course, I have to wait till I am all built back up again and living a "normal" hockey existence and then get them taken out. I have heard that it only takes approx 6 weeks to heal once you get them taken out and should be able to walk on the day of surgery. It is supposed to give you more movement as well.

Sounds like you have been through a HUGE ordeal for a while! Is it sore on a daily basis? My ankles are always soooo stiff in the a.m. and take a while to get them warmed up with a few painful exercises. At what point did you get used to your superhero powers of weather prediction?

Good luck on the hardware removal! If yours goes well, it'll give everyone else hope!

MeltingPlastic

Jul 1, 2010
Outside Philly
Thanks. I never thought to put it around the plate/screws.... I have been cutting the pads so that the soft "massaging" part goes on top of the screws. Thought that it might fill in the gaps between the screws - looks like a washboard down there! I will definately try your method.

Yeah, sounds like you need the hardware out! I know I am. Of course, I have to wait till I am all built back up again and living a "normal" hockey existence and then get them taken out. I have heard that it only takes approx 6 weeks to heal once you get them taken out and should be able to walk on the day of surgery. It is supposed to give you more movement as well.

Sounds like you have been through a HUGE ordeal for a while! Is it sore on a daily basis? My ankles are always soooo stiff in the a.m. and take a while to get them warmed up with a few painful exercises. At what point did you get used to your superhero powers of weather prediction?

Good luck on the hardware removal! If yours goes well, it'll give everyone else hope!
Honestly the pain has been quite minimal after the first 6 months. aside from what i mentioned of the scar opening, i feel no pain really.

My ankle was hurting a few weeks back unexpectedly and it was during a time when i had a 2 week break between games so i know i didnt over stress it. Not sure what caused it but the ankle feels great again.

About a year after surgery i would wake up stiff some mornings but i haven't felt any of that since. Maybe in a blue moon itll just feel "weird" but nothing like i can tell if there's going to be rain or anything. I am scared about the arthritis i will develop in a few years and i've been told flat out i will need an ankle replacement or have mine fused, but that is when i finally stop playing. I'm not even supposed to be able to play hockey so the doctor was amazed at how well my ankle has held up!

Nov 12, 2010
I know exactly how this feels. Slid into the boards in peewee, left blade caught, my fibula was fractured. The worst part was some kid came blazing around the net at full speed before seeing me, hit me halfway between the knee and the ankle. The way my leg looked was the closes thing to a perpendicular angle I have ever seen in nature. Has to be a record for the longest cast ever made.

Thank god for oxy.

pshort

Mar 6, 2012
Yeah, definitely a loss when you break an ankle.

I saw the doctor today and my ankle healed up well... I am going to get my hardware out in May!!! Bye bye bionic! Hopefully, he can clean out some of this scar tissue. Thought I could be able to play competitively in June so I guess now, it'll have to be July. :yo:

@ Melting Plastic: We'll have to exchange stories. Please let me know how it goes if you get yours done before mine. :)

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com

I broke the interior bone of my ankle completely off 4-5 years ago. 2 screws were used to repair the damage. It was a full 8 months til i was able to play a real game again. I could always feel the screws rubbing against the skin and it took a year or more to not notice it anymore. Good news it will go away. just not fast.

emgsa85

Aug 10, 2011
You'd be surprised how "weight bearing" your shoulder feels after a dislocation. I had chronic dislocations (around 15) from summer '07 til summer '11... last one was while playing hockey and it didn't pop itself back in that time. had surgery in october and all is well now 5 months later. keep your head up and have a good attitude or at least try and you'll be ok. good luck!!

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
Resurrecting an old thread because yes, I broke my ankle - to be specific, my medial malleoleous by sliding into the boards feet first on August 9th. :cry:

August 12th got the cast which then came off Sept. 20th. Splitting time between one and two crutches, trying to flex and rebuild the calf muscles, hope to get back on the ice in 2-3 weeks for an "easy does it" public skate, assuming the swelling has reduced enough to put the skate on. Hope to start outdoor cycling this weekend/early next week. My heart goes out to those who needed surgery, thank goodness I did not. :handclap:

MeltingPlastic

Jul 1, 2010
Outside Philly
good luck with the rehab buddy. Its going to be extremely tight when you skate. I HIGHLY suggest doing a lot of fully extended crossovers. both forward and backwards. I found that doing these helped loosen my ankle and help me get used to the skating motion again. Going to open skatings (especially if they are extremely empty like most of the day time skates) and just skating figure 8s between the lower circles always facing one direction will really help you prep yourself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad