Value of: Brodin+Coyle to your team

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
The only thing i could see working in terms of value is :

Habs 1st + Galchenyuk for Coyle + Brodin.

I think value is favoring Minnesota a bit in that deal as Galchenyuk => Coyle and Habs 1st pick => Brodin (depending if the pick is top 5 or 6-7 OA) but I'm pretty sure Habs would be really interested in Brodin to play with Weber and Coyle if he can play 2nd line center, so maybe they needs to overpay to get what they need.

As for the Wild, i don't know what they are looking for, retool, rebuild...
I think that offer would be due some serious consideration from the Wild.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The only thing i could see working in terms of value is :

Habs 1st + Galchenyuk for Coyle + Brodin.

I think value is favoring Minnesota a bit in that deal as Galchenyuk => Coyle and Habs 1st pick => Brodin (depending if the pick is top 5 or 6-7 OA) but I'm pretty sure Habs would be really interested in Brodin to play with Weber and Coyle if he can play 2nd line center, so maybe they needs to overpay to get what they need.

As for the Wild, i don't know what they are looking for, retool, rebuild...
Ya, you're probably right, though Galchenyuk's cap isn't all that good, while Coyle's is only 3.2M. Keep in mind that Coyle had a bad year due to a broken leg (an injury not likely to reoccur). I just don't see the Wild moving Brodin for a player such as Galchenyuk. The latter has talent, but is more of an enigma, than anything else. PLayers who aren't two way guys tend not to do well on the Wild. MTL wouldn't be smart to move their #1 draft pick, either, unless they are committed to competing now. Brodin and Coyle would help with that. And you're right. It depends where the pick falls. I don't see a big difference between 5-10, myself, but I'm no expert. I could easily see a guy like Kravtsov being a better player, ultimately, than someone picked #5.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014

My only ?? is Coyle at C. If he can't be an effective 2nd line center, i think i would prefer Ericksson-Ek or Kunin. Don't know if the deal would still be interesting for Minny though.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild would have to throw in a 3rd, or two. Certainly would be a shakeup...they would be giving up a lot of Defense for some skill(but not a lot of offensive production). It would be all about the draft pick, really.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
My only ?? is Coyle at C. If he can't be an effective 2nd line center, i think i would prefer Ericksson-Ek or Kunin. Don't know if the deal would still be interesting for Minny though.
Personally I'd still consider it if you swapped Coyle for Ek or Kunin. Trading away promising players on ELCs is normally a big-time no-no, especially for the Wild, but if that 1st is high enough it sort of mitigates that.

Coyle at center is still a little bit of an enigma to me. He has the tools to play center, so I don't think that's a problem. With the Wild he hasn't spent any consistent time there, and I don't think he ever had very good wingers to work with. So while I think he's been a much better RW for us, you do sort of have to account for those other factors.

That said, he is probably a better NHL center right now, today than either Ek or Kunin are.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Wild would have to throw in a 3rd, or two. Certainly would be a shakeup...they would be giving up a lot of Defense for some skill(but not a lot of offensive production). It would be all about the draft pick, really.
Agreed. It's a risk, but it's closer to the sort of risk I'd be looking for.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Personally I'd still consider it if you swapped Coyle for Ek or Kunin. Trading away promising players on ELCs is normally a big-time no-no, especially for the Wild, but if that 1st is high enough it sort of mitigates that.

Coyle at center is still a little bit of an enigma to me. He has the tools to play center, so I don't think that's a problem. With the Wild he hasn't spent any consistent time there, and I don't think he ever had very good wingers to work with. So while I think he's been a much better RW for us, you do sort of have to account for those other factors.

That said, he is probably a better NHL center right now, today than either Ek or Kunin are.

Thanks for the info. How Kunin is seen by Minn's fans and scouting reports?? Middel 6 C?? Definately top 6 C?? Offensive minded?? more of a two-way guy??

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kunin, IMO, is unlikely to be a NHL C. Right now, Coyle is clearly better than Ek, but Ek is very young. The hope is that Ek has a higher ceiling at C. Coyle can be a decent C. He's a funny player that can really tease you because he looks like a dominant player for stretches of time in a power forward way, then goes back to sleep, offensively, anyway. The good news is that his floor is reasonably high...he's a responsible two way player.

Ek is likely to be a terrific defensive C at a minimum. He doesn't flash any elite offensive vision or puckhandling. Nice shot, though, and he is a good skater.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Thanks for the info. How Kunin is seen by Minn's fans and scouting reports?? Middel 6 C?? Definately top 6 C?? Offensive minded?? more of a two-way guy??
Personally I've been unclear as to whether the organization sees Kunin as a wing or a center; I think he spent most of his AHL time at wing, so I've just been assuming that's where he'll be.

@Digitalbooya is probably the one to give you a description of his playing style.

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Kunin, IMO, is unlikely to be a NHL C. Right now, Coyle is clearly better than Ek, but Ek is very young. The hope is that Ek has a higher ceiling at C. Coyle can be a decent C. He's a funny player that can really tease you because he looks like a dominant player for stretches of time in a power forward way, then goes back to sleep, offensively, anyway. The good news is that his floor is reasonably high...he's a responsible two way player.

Ek is likely to be a terrific defensive C at a minimum. He doesn't flash any elite offensive vision or puckhandling. Nice shot, though, and he is a good skater.

Ok thanks

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
He was playing some wing even in college, though they've been playing him at C in the AHL. I think he's best as a scoring winger (he can fire the puck) with the ability to grind. Maybe a poor man's Pacioretty? Smart player. Between him and Ek, Ek is hands down the guy who you'd play at C first.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
So i guess we can write Kunin off in a potential deal between the 2 clubs. Habs can't part with their top pick without getting a good center (actual or potential) back.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
He was playing some wing even in college, though they've been playing him at C in the AHL. I think he's best as a scoring winger (he can fire the puck) with the ability to grind. Maybe a poor man's Pacioretty? Smart player. Between him and Ek, Ek is hands down the guy who you'd play at C first.
Ek is definitely the centeriest center of the three.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Probably a flex player like Coyle. Should play right wing but might be forced to play center. He’s been quoted before saying he can play all three forward spots (he did it at Wisconsin). For Iowa and Minnesota he played primarily right wing. I keep thinking he’s not fast enough or big enough to play center. Ideally I’d have him play on a line with Eriksson Ek (and hopefully Kaprizov) and @57special is right that of the two Eriksson Ek should play center.

So to answer your questions directly:
1) skating needs work, can hit and be physical (I’d like him to focus more on offense), hell of a shot, passing isn’t terrible but not Granlund-esque, definitely willing to block a shot, sound positioning, able to play PP and PK. Very much like a Swiss Army knife.
2) top 6 RW, possible center.
3) he’s definitely offensive minded but he doesn’t give anything up in the d-zone, so 2-way.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Brodie + Ferland for Coyle + Brodin

That’s really not good for the Wild

Quite frankly it’s almost exactly the definition of “our spare parts for your useful players”

And before I get jumped on, that’s not to say Brodie is bad, he just clearly isn’t a part of Calgary’s long term plans as evident by the fact that most Calgary deals I see on here are sending him away.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
That’s really not good for the Wild

Quite frankly it’s almost exactly the definition of “our spare parts for your useful players”

And before I get jumped on, that’s not to say Brodie is bad, he just clearly isn’t a part of Calgary’s long term plans as evident by the fact that most Calgary deals I see on here are sending him away.

No. It really is not.

Brodie being made "available" by fans on this forum is no different than Brodin and Coyle being made available in this very thread. Both team's need a shakeup. That much is evident. Coyle specifically is consistently thrown around by your fan base in such proposals, does that make him a "spare part"? You have to give to get. Brodie is a potential trade chip due solely to his value, and the depth the organization has at the position. Nothing more, nothing less.

Brodie has proven to be the best player in this deal. He struggled with consistency under Gulutzen and his system, that much is true, but he is a proven top three (arguably top pairing) defender on a sweetheart deal in the prime years of his career.

Ferland is also the exact definition of what the OP is looking for as well as he provides goal scoring ability and physicality. He also happened to outscore Coyle this past season and has been on an upward trajectory since arriving in the NHL. Hardly a spare part.

If you don't see the value in those players that is fine, but they are certainly core pieces of this team.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
No. It really is not.

Brodie being made "available" by fans on this forum is no different than Brodin and Coyle being made available in this very thread. Both team's need a shakeup. That much is evident. Coyle specifically is consistently thrown around by your fan base in such proposals, does that make him a "spare part"? You have to give to get. Brodie is a potential trade chip due solely to his value, and the depth the organization has at the position. Nothing more, nothing less.

Brodie has proven to be the best player in this deal. He struggled with consistency under Gulutzen and his system, that much is true, but he is a proven top three (arguably top pairing) defender on a sweetheart deal in the prime years of his career.

Ferland is also the exact definition of what the OP is looking for as well as he provides goal scoring ability and physicality. He also happened to outscore Coyle this past season and has been on an upward trajectory since arriving in the NHL. Hardly a spare part.

If you don't see the value in those players that is fine, but they are certainly core pieces of this team.
Yeah, I wouldn't consider them "spare parts." Don't think they're a good fit for the Wild, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad