Injury Report: Brodie

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Seems like there has been more injuries than usual this year.
Give Dubas credit for ensuring there is enough NHL depth.

Anyone know how the 'man games lost' compares this year to others?

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
With that depth on D and our stable spot in the standings, there should be no reason for any D to play injured. Even the bottom 6 forwards have a lot of options from the Marlies, McMann is a good example. He was great in the preseason. IMO all the 4th line save Holmberg should not take a spot in the lineup for granted. If McMann plays with the physicality and finish he showed in preseason I would give him a long look.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I bet we'll be seeing this for the rest of the season. Once the Leafs are full strength on D and Timmins gets scratched, suddenly one of them goes IR for 7 days.

No point in playing the top guys hard with the depth the Leafs have. Since Timmins is so cheap, they can afford to do this all season long and rest minor injuries and keep the team fresh down the stretch.

v00d00daddy

Oct 9, 2007
I hope he’s ok. Also hope this gives Rielly a chance to catch up and play his part in the defensive system that was created while he was out.

Rielly Holl
Sandin Liljegren
Gio Timmins

Jun 27, 2005
Seems like there has been more injuries than usual this year.
Give Dubas credit for ensuring there is enough NHL depth.

Anyone know how the 'man games lost' compares this year to others?
Here's a site with everything.
Currently 8th most cap hit lost due to injury.

Reactions: ACC1224

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I don't know if there is a difference between LTIR and IR in terms of the cap, but does it accrue daily in the same fashion as LTIR?

Could this TJ Brodie going onto IR be part of something to "coincidently" come in the near future? just seems a bit fishy that Brodie goes from "dealing with something" on Sunday to on IR for an undetermined period of time. Typically when a player has been out for an undetermined time frame Sheldon wouldn't suggest that player is "dealing with something". He almost always says "he's going to miss some time".

I may be reading too much into this, but we played our best hockey without Brodie, Mo, and Muzz in the lineup. Not suggesting they are on the move, but more so saying we can manage without them at least in the short term. We've proven that. So why not move guys onto a more fixed IR allocation when they are dealing with a bump or bruise, if it means we can accrue a daily cap surplus. I just get this nagging suspicion that they approached TJ with a Kucherov like tone and said "take 10 days off. Spend some time with the family. Heal up"

We have such a healthy position in the playoffs right now, and there is absolutely no need to run our d-men into the ground unless they want to play (a la Gio). May as well put them on IR whenever they need a day off and claim the injury to be bigger then it actually is. We have the depth to sustain it.

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe there are no cap benefits from putting TJ on IR. But it just seems hella fishy how he we went from guys are dealing with some stuff to out for longer then 7 days.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
It's insane that having a game without Rielly, Muzzin, or Brodie isn't an issue now. Better to have all 3, obviously. But the depth can cover it even with all 3 gone for a spell. I'm thrilled that one injury doesn't spell immediate disaster.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I don't know if there is a difference between LTIR and IR in terms of the cap, but does it accrue daily in the same fashion as LTIR?

Could this TJ Brodie going onto IR be part of something to "coincidently" come in the near future? just seems a bit fishy that Brodie goes from "dealing with something" on Sunday to on IR for an undetermined period of time. Typically when a player has been out for an undetermined time frame Sheldon wouldn't suggest that player is "dealing with something". He almost always says "he's going to miss some time".

I may be reading too much into this, but we played our best hockey without Brodie, Mo, and Muzz in the lineup. Not suggesting they are on the move, but more so saying we can manage without them at least in the short term. We've proven that. So why not move guys onto a more fixed IR allocation when they are dealing with a bump or bruise, if it means we can accrue a daily cap surplus. I just get this nagging suspicion that they approached TJ with a Kucherov like tone and said "take 10 days off. Spend some time with the family. Heal up"

We have such a healthy position in the playoffs right now, and there is absolutely no need to run our d-men into the ground unless they want to play (a la Gio). May as well put them on IR whenever they need a day off and claim the injury to be bigger then it actually is. We have the depth to sustain it.

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe there are no cap benefits from putting TJ on IR. But it just seems hella fishy how he we went from guys are dealing with some stuff to out for longer then 7 days.

It's not really cap manipulation, but rather roster manipulation. The Leafs have a ton of LTIR space and are comfortably in a playoff spot, so they can afford to just toss guys on regular IR for a bit and bring up another roster player to build depth and other reasons like rewarding their top-performing Marlies such as McMann.

Sandin over the holidays was like this, and now Brodie is as well. If the team needed them to play, they could, but they don't so might as well toss them on IR and call up someone else.

This will happen throughout the rest of the season unless of course, we use up all that LTIR space at the deadline. A lot of bumps and bruises are going to end up as IR events, which I guess is a good thing come playoff time.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
ya and keefe said brodie would be fine pfft.
I mean, he probably is fine and capable of playing. It's probably more a matter of take the time to heal bumps and bruises and get some rest, because we still have at least 6 other fully healthy, NHL-caliber defensemen that need playing time.

Reactions: banks

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I bet we'll be seeing this for the rest of the season. Once the Leafs are full strength on D and Timmins gets scratched, suddenly one of them goes IR for 7 days.

No point in playing the top guys hard with the depth the Leafs have. Since Timmins is so cheap, they can afford to do this all season long and rest minor injuries and keep the team fresh down the stretch.
Why do that if they don't need the full 7 days?

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
I mean, he probably is fine and capable of playing. It's probably more a matter of take the time to heal bumps and bruises and get some rest, because we still have at least 6 other fully healthy, NHL-caliber defensemen that need playing time.

Yep. No panic. I'm actually glad, because it seems like the team is freely giving players rest when they could use it. That's a good thing. We want the incumbent vets to be rested, and the young hungry players to be tested when they playoffs start.

Reactions: Buds17

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Does a team have to prove that a player is IR eligible? Like, are there independent league doctors that confirm what the team diagnoses? Or can the team just say they player is going on the IR and make it happen? Just curious as it affects cap space etc...

If we are going anywhere beyond Round 1, we need Brodie... and we need him at his best. If this helps get him there, all good with it. This is a great part of the schedule to make sure your depth get in some games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad