Brodeur statue??

DevilChuk*

The whole Lemieux statue got me thinking.. will the Devils erect a statue in honor of Martin Brodeur?

I think they should. More than anyone, he defines this team.

A Brodeur statue in Championship Plaza would be so awesome.

I vote for his classic double pad stack! That would be one helluva pose.

ILikeItVeryMuch*

No, its not this teams way.

The Pens can erect a statue to tanking for glory, I want none of this false idol garbage.

And Penguins fans can skew it anyway they want, they purposely dressed minor leagues and lost to draft him.

MJB Devils23*

No, its not this teams way.

The Pens can erect a statue to tanking for glory, I want none of this false idol garbage.

And Penguins fans can skew it anyway they want, they purposely dressed minor leagues and lost to draft him.

Are you saying there shouldn't be a Mario statue?

manilaNJ

Optimism: Unwavering
Mar 5, 2012
New Jersey
A place in the record books and in the hall of fame is good enough me. Part of the reason that I love the devils so much is their "team first" mentality.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I guess they could if there was someone to give a statue to. Brodeur to us is Lemieux to Pittsburgh. They even gave Gretzky one in Edmonton early in his career, and then he was traded haha.

On the topic of the Lemieux draft we could have got him. We got Kirk Muller who was 2nd overall, and they got Lemieux 1st overall in the 84 draft. I'm not in the least bit bummed we didn't get him. While I respect him very much, and love his play we did pretty good for ourselves. We won the Cup 2 times while he wasn't playing. He missed the 95 season, and was retired from 97 to 00. So we won more Cups than he did with Pittsburgh, and won 2 when he wouldn't have even been around for us anyway. We had enough power on our team from 94 on that we didn't need him anyway.

Just a funny thing to think about sometimes.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm all for the team first mentality...but lets be honest here...Since 1994, the New Jersey Devils have been, Marty Brodeur...

Yup this is why I say he's our Lemieux/Gretzky.

NJDFan4Life

Jun 25, 2009
Canada
I'm all for the team first mentality...but lets be honest here...Since 1994, the New Jersey Devils have been, Marty Brodeur...

I couldn't agree with you more on this. Marty has been the face of this franchise since 1994 and in the end when he finally retires I think he deserves a statue of him in championship plaze especially after the career he has had in this league.

EliasFTW

Jan 27, 2009
Utica, NY

No. They are The New Jeresy Devils not Marty's Devils. Marty will never be forgotten. There is no need for a Stupid statue for future generations to gawk at or vandalize.

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
In addition to my first post, besides basically being the Devils, he's one of the greatest goaltenders in the history of the sport and he spent his whole career here...I really can not justify not...

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
No. They are The New Jeresy Devils not Marty's Devils. Marty will never be forgotten. There is no need for a Stupid statue for future generations to gawk at or vandalize.

First off, I didn't say they were "Marty's Devils", I said he's the face of the franchise and has been for almost 2 decades. You can say it all you want. Doesn't change the fact that when people think of the Devils, its Marty that comes to mind first before anyone else.

Gary Thorne in NHL 12 says it best honestly, "When you talk about the New Jersey Devils, it ultimately begins and ends with Marty Brodeur". It'll be that way for a long time and I'd be perfectly fine with dedicating a statue to such a player, team first mentality or not.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm fine with it if it's inside the arena. I don't like the idea of it on the street.

Yeah that sounds better too I think. By the way Marty is the only Devil who will get recognition. Sadly Stevens, and Niedermayer don't get much recognition. Stevens is in the HOF, and I'm sure Niedermayer will be too. Even Elias is one of the best players in the league, and has been for a while, and doesn't have the name power.

You can't ignore Brodeur, because he's the most winningest Goaltender of all time.

JerseyGuy276

An American Outlaw
Mar 22, 2010
A Flood Zone
Yeah that sounds better too I think. By the way Marty is the only Devil who will get recognition. Sadly Stevens, and Niedermayer don't get much recognition. Stevens is in the HOF, and I'm sure Niedermayer will be too. Even Elias is one of the best players in the league, and has been for a while, and doesn't have the name power.

You can't ignore Brodeur, because he's the most winningest Goaltender of all time.

But neither of them could be in the discussion for greatest ever at their position nor did they spend their whole careers here.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
But neither of them could be in the discussion for greatest ever at their position nor did they spend their whole careers here.

This!! I feel the same way. In this case it goes beyond just being a face of a franchise, guy is in the discussion of being the greatest ever, he owns every record a goalie can own and a big shiny pedestal is a great place to list each and every one of those records.

I like the idea of being inside too, even if that hockey statue looks lonely for a goalie next to him in championship plaza. Chico's statue can go outside.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Oh yeah, and I didn't mean recognition from the Devils I meant by the league.

The argument that the league hates us, and the Giguerre Conn Smythe, and all that. Most sub par Hockey fans know Chelios, but not Scott Stevens.

Brodeur is the most recognized player of the franchise, and you can't ignore him, because he basically holds most the records of the league for Goaltending.

We haven't won anymore Cups without the other guys, but Marty continued a successful career after them. Winning 2 Vezinas, post season all but one year, topping the record wins by a Goaltender in one season, and breaking the wins, and shutouts records since they've departed. He is the most important, and recognized player in the franchise.

DevilChuk*

Bullcrap about this whole "team first" mentality. This team still likes to market its big name players, they just won't put an active player's needs ahead of the team.

This is a team who has a humongous Brodeur mural in the arena..

When the time comes, I expect the Devils to go above and beyond in honoring Brodeur. A jersey retirement IMO is not nearly enough. We have Championship Plaza, its just a perfect place for a statue. If not outside, then I say right smack dab in the middle of one of the towers.

Its not about team or player first. Its about giving due to the greatest player in NJ history. He will never be forgotten but that's not the same thing as being constantly remembered.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That's cause he's old, washed up, has 1 shutout which is completely unacceptable, mediocre save percentage, and the Devils would probably have as many wins as the Rangers if they had chose to bench him more.:sarcasm:

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Marty will get something a little extra special, probably not a statue or something...maybe a section named after him...or some sort of naming on the arena

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
I think putting up statues of people still living is a bit creepy. Honor them with jersey retirements, murals, appreciation nights, etc. but statues in my mind truly seem appropriate farther down the line to remind folks of their past, not their present.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad