Value of: Brock Nelson

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Are the Islanders actually interested in moving him? I'd give up a decent amount- a 1st, a 2nd and Chisholm

Reactions: impaaaaaact

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Are the Islanders actually interested in moving him? I'd give up a decent amount- a 1st, a 2nd and Chisholm

If they continue to falter he’s really our only asset to move in a semi re-tool. His next contract negotiation will be interesting as he’ll be 34 and in need of a fairly substantial raise.

I think we’d be looking for a younger NHL player in addition to a first and another pick/prospect

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Always liked Brock, TDL Jets kick the tires on him but depends on the price. Doubt the Jets want to resign him after next year at his age so likely doesn’t happen from a Jets POV even if he was available. Jets are playing well after so many wrote them off this past summer, they likely just add some smaller pieces and depth pieces at the TDL.

Reactions: Huffer

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Probably about what the Isles traded for Bo Horvat. Despite having that extra year left and possibly being a better player.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Trading arguably the best piece of your team to retool seems counterproductive to me.
It's kind of a timing thing. In two years when his deal is up he'll be 34 and potentially looking for a big raise from the 6M he's at now. Also up that year is Noah Dobson who we'll need to lock up long term, and the only substantial contract we have coming off the books in those two years is Kyle Palmieri (unless we buy out the captain, fully plausible). Romanov also needs a new deal that year.

It's obviously not the optimal but it's the situation we're in. If the Isles continue to falter this year I expect this to be heavily speculated on.

Last edited:

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
It's kind of a timing thing. In two years when his deal is up he'll be 34 and potentially looking for a big raise from the 6M he's at now. Also up that year is Noah Dobson who we'll need to lock up long term, and the only substantial contract we have coming off the books in those two years is Kyle Palmieri (unless we buy out the captain, fully plausible). Romanov also needs a new deal that year.

It's obviously not the optimal but it's the situation we're in. If the Isles falter this year I expect to be heavily speculated on.
Makes sense. Thanks bro!

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Probably about what the Isles traded for Bo Horvat. Despite having that extra year left and possibly being a better player.
Yeah, this honestly sounds about right. 1st + young player in need of scenery change + pretty good prospect. Rinse and repeat, tell yourself you bought 4 good years.

Last edited:
Reactions: biturbo19

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Problem is space on other teams. Who can afford him?
Nelson is pretty underpriced for what he brings, and we 're in a position to take a roster player back. Could use an LD, could use a top 6 winger assuming Barzal would revert back to C in the absence of Nelson.

Aside from that, the Wings seem like a fit. The Wild and Preds are fun to speculate about given that Brock is from Minnesota and blossomed under Trotz. But I don't think his salary should be too big of an issue

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Think he'd be an excellent fit in Colorado honestly. A thought I had, not sure on the value honestly but I dont think it would be that far off to where a pick or prospect going one way or the other wouldn't be able to balance it...

Ryan Johansen
Bowen Byram

Brock Nelson
Alexander Romanov

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The Jets is the first spot I thought of when trading Nelson. Brock is from nearby Warroad Minnesota and he goes back every summer because all his family is there. Only way it makes sense to trade Nelson is if the isles commit to a complete re-tool of the roster. He’s likely the isles best forward asset because he’s the most consistent scorer on the team and he’s a 200ft player.
I think he would extend with the jets as well.
2way 30+ goal scorer.

From the Jets I’d want

Rights to Mcgroarty + Chibrikov/ Lambert

I’d be interested in Lucius but 2 of the above three first.

If the isles trade Nelson then every forward aside form Barzal Horvat and Holmstrom should be available or moved.

Pageau needs to go. Doesn’t have any value at this point.

Lee great captain and leader but isn’t as affective

Palmieri decent still but not worth more than a 2nd/3rd

Martin Cizikas Clutterbuck need to move on.

Last edited:

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Think he'd be an excellent fit in Colorado honestly. A thought I had, not sure on the value honestly but I dont think it would be that far off to where a pick or prospect going one way or the other wouldn't be able to balance it...

Ryan Johansen
Bowen Byram

Brock Nelson
Alexander Romanov
Interesting. I don’t love it but I think you’re right about the value being pretty close. I think the isles ultimately would be looking to get younger if trading Nelson though, and this feels kinda like moving pieces around

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Ryan Johansen
Bowen Byram

Brock Nelson
Alexander Romanov
Not a bad base but have to imagine more has to be coming from Colorado.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
The Jets is the first spot I thought of when trading Nelson. Brock is from nearby Warroad Minnesota and he goes back every summer because all his family is there. Only way it makes sense to trade Nelson is if the isles commit to a complete re-tool of the roster. He’s likely the isles best forward asset because he’s the most consistent scorer on the team and he’s a 200ft player.
I think he would extend with the jets as well.
2way 30+ goal scorer.

From the Jets I’d want

Rights to Mcgroarty + Chibrikov/ Lambert

I’d be interested in Lucius but 2 of the above three first.

If the isles trade Nelson then every forward aside form Barzal Horvat and Holmstrom should be available or moved.

The Jets IMO need to keep both their cap space, as well as possible tradable assets available for improvements to the defense. It's extremely doubtful the Jets would be able (or want to) to extend as they need to keep cap space available for possible Connor and Ehlers extensions, a raise for Perfetti, and to improve the defense if possible.

He's be a good add though, but I don't think it's a good use of assets and cap space. I wouldn't move our top prospects for him based on this.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY

Yeah, if Nelson goes this year it would make sense for Palmieri to go as well, even if we need to retain. At that point you can justify buying out Lee, don't extend Martin and Clutterbuck. Fire the coach (and maybe the GM retires) and make Horvat captain. Completely overhaul the team's leadership and get much younger all in one trade deadline/offseason. But none of it really adds up unless Nelson is the first to go.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
If they continue to falter he’s really our only asset to move in a semi re-tool. His next contract negotiation will be interesting as he’ll be 34 and in need of a fairly substantial raise.

I think we’d be looking for a younger NHL player in addition to a first and another pick/prospect
A raise? You don't pay him for what he's done, you pay him for what he's going to do.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
A raise? You don't pay him for what he's done, you pay him for what he's going to do.
And one of the biggest indicators of what he is going to do is what he has done recently. If he regresses back to the 20-25 goal 200 foot player he was when he signed the contract at some point over his next contract, I guess that would price him back at 6M... but that would assume that happens immediately. Not to mention the cap will be up about 7M from where it was when he signed that deal.

So yeah, a raise.

Cake Eater

Jan 19, 2022
And one of the biggest indicators of what he is going to do is what he has done recently. If he regresses back to the 20-25 goal 200 foot player he was when he signed the contract at some point over his next contract, I guess that would price him back at 6M... but that would assume that happens immediately. Not to mention the cap will be up about 7M from where it was when he signed that deal.

So yeah, a raise.
You're thought process may make sense if he signs a 1-year contract, but what are the odds of that?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

So yeah, a raise.
You’re right

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad