Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
If he wasn't on the isles you guys would be salivating over him.

He's a good complementary player who is also very versatile. He's very valuable for that reason.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
How about this idea, get him someone on his line that is a top six player something he has never had.

He's played with Tavares and he's played with Bailey and Lee, separate from Tavares. Not sure what you're talking about.

IIlya4Life

Jun 6, 2014
Nelson is just to soft for my liking. After scoring 7-8 goals in the first two weeks of the season he has been awful. Very disappointed in the season he has had. Still has a lot of potential but just needs to show a more willingness to go to the dirty areas if he ever wants to be a legit top 6 guy.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Watching Nelson lately it occurred to me he looks like a guy who obviously showed immense potential as a kid so his parents railroaded him into playing hockey, but he never liked it at all.

I can forgive almost anything, but I cannot forgive a lack of effort and Nelson is giving us about 50% of what he's capable of. Is embarrassing and I'm tired of yelling at the TV when he's on the ice.

It's time to cut bait with this guy in the offseason - Whatever it takes.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Nelson reminds me a bit of James Sheppard: big and loads of potential but plays the game half-assed and is soft like butter.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Nelson reminds me a bit of James Sheppard: big and loads of potential but plays the game half-assed and is soft like butter.

Nelson reminds me of one of the leading male actors in Hollywood from about 10 years ago .

Sheriff Woody

Whatever he does wrong or poorly we all see..
One thing that can not be taught is goal scoring. A great man said it first
Brock can score . And if he keeps putting up 20 per year he will stay in the nhl

nycole

no longer in distress
Feb 25, 2016
I've said it before, he always looks bored. Maybe he thinks he needs better competition to bring his true self out, like the supersmart student who thinks regular classes aren't worth her time.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Watching Nelson lately it occurred to me he looks like a guy who obviously showed immense potential as a kid so his parents railroaded him into playing hockey, but he never liked it at all.

I can forgive almost anything, but I cannot forgive a lack of effort and Nelson is giving us about 50% of what he's capable of. Is embarrassing and I'm tired of yelling at the TV when he's on the ice.

It's time to cut bait with this guy in the offseason - Whatever it takes.

He clearly is that player you describe.. he is Dave Christian's nephew.. and that means Dave Christian's sister's kid... there had to be some sibling rivalry thing where the sister is competing with the brother and Jane got caught in the crossfire.

It is a very Kvasha like effort, I don't see how any coach from Cappy to Babcock who would get him to be motivated every shift... he will probably play for 6 plus teams before he racks up 250 meaningless career goals.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I guess I am the only one who has liked Nelson's play since he got benched? Seems like he gets 2-3 solid chances per game (when playing with JHS). He was even getting involved in the scrums lately which so many people hold near and dear to their hearts.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I guess I am the only one who has liked Nelson's play since he got benched? Seems like he gets 2-3 solid chances per game (when playing with JHS). He was even getting involved in the scrums lately which so many people hold near and dear to their hearts.

Look we want him or her to do well... but Nelson still has a lot of shifts where he keeps running over the puck with no intent to get back... he shanked on 2 opportunities in games recently... he played well against Pittsburgh because he was on the right line and of course Weight benches Quine for Gionta and Nelson was lost against Boston.

And he shows his estrogen levels when he gets faceplanted by Chara and then taps Chara on the back and asks Chara if he is OK... I am all for nice guys... but that is for 10 years from now when Chara is retired and Jane is the Golden Knights all time leading scorer.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Look we want him or her to do well... but Nelson still has a lot of shifts where he keeps running over the puck with no intent to get back... he shanked on 2 opportunities in games recently... he played well against Pittsburgh because he was on the right line and of course Weight benches Quine for Gionta and Nelson was lost against Boston.

And he shows his estrogen levels when he gets faceplanted by Chara and then taps Chara on the back and asks Chara if he is OK... I am all for nice guys... but that is for 10 years from now when Chara is retired and Jane is the Golden Knights all time leading scorer.

Oh trust me I am not a huge Nelson fan and wouldn't mind if he were shipped out in a deal for Duchene, but he has played much better recently in my opinion. He's never going to develop a mean streak and the quicker we get over that the quicker you will be less annoyed watching him.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Oh trust me I am not a huge Nelson fan and wouldn't mind if he were shipped out in a deal for Duchene, but he has played much better recently in my opinion. He's never going to develop a mean streak and the quicker we get over that the quicker you will be less annoyed watching him.

We have had many soft players over the years, Bossy and Turgeon, the two most talent offensive weapons in Isles history, were soft as tissue but they played every single shift.

Jane does not play every shift, and sometimes takes off entire periods. He played well with Quine and Chimera because Nelson can be the featured player on the 3rd line, that is what he really is when you think about it.

This is similar to when Andrew Macdonald was killed her because he was in the top 4 and was a bottom pairing guy. We probably expect too much from Nelson.

And Colorado is not taking him back for Duchene.. LOL.. Sakic is going to get a nice package from Ottawa for him.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
We have had many soft players over the years, Bossy and Turgeon, the two most talent offensive weapons in Isles history, were soft as tissue but they played every single shift.

Jane does not play every shift, and sometimes takes off entire periods. He played well with Quine and Chimera because Nelson can be the featured player on the 3rd line, that is what he really is when you think about it.

This is similar to when Andrew Macdonald was killed her because he was in the top 4 and was a bottom pairing guy. We probably expect too much from Nelson.

And Colorado is not taking him back for Duchene.. LOL.. Sakic is going to get a nice package from Ottawa for him.

Nelson was rumored to be in a deal involving Duchene right? Don't see what Sakic is getting from Ottawa considering they don't want to trade Chabot though?

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Nelson was rumored to be in a deal involving Duchene right? Don't see what Sakic is getting from Ottawa considering they don't want to trade Chabot though?

Rumored until Sakic a scout saw Nelson play... Nelson on paper looks better than his actual play. I believe ABV will be better than Duchene and that is our 2nd line center, a bit optimistic, but he has skill and he is the most determined player this team has had in quite some time... and when I think of determination in a player I tend to think of Jason Blake.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Rose. Colored. Glasses.

For every "chance" Nelson gets you can count multiple of those plays where he gives the puck away, isn't in the proper defensive position, or STOPS SKATING ENTIRELY.

This is a player who's head isn't in the game. There is no way he could look any less interested in playing hockey unless he was asleep. And if you're head isn't into it, you're not going to be a good player.

Nelson is more of a liability than a help and it's enough watching a player that plays like he couldn't care less either way.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
Rose. Colored. Glasses.

For every "chance" Nelson gets you can count multiple of those plays where he gives the puck away, isn't in the proper defensive position, or STOPS SKATING ENTIRELY.

This is a player who's head isn't in the game. There is no way he could look any less interested in playing hockey unless he was asleep. And if you're head isn't into it, you're not going to be a good player.

Nelson is more of a liability than a help and it's enough watching a player that plays like he couldn't care less either way.

I think he's much better suited for Olympic ice dancing.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Rose. Colored. Glasses.

I didn't say he has been perfect but his play has certainly been better. I'm a little surprised everybody has just been realizing his laziness now though, he has played like this his entire career here.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
If he wasn't on the isles you guys would be salivating over him.

He's a good complementary player who is also very versatile. He's very valuable for that reason.

You would not find me salivating over Brock Nelson.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The thing I disagree with on Brooke is it's not her actual fear that changes the way she plays. She doesn't mind standing in front of the net or pushing back if she gets hacked. It's just his damn skating away from the puck. I mentioned it before, her first instinct is to stop, NOT to skate. That kills me every time. How can you be a hockey player and your first instinct is to reach with the stick rather than get your feet moving. That puts her in a territory we'll she'll get opportunities and score goals, but she will always be a dud defensively and be worthless at 50/50 pucks.

I get that she'll never be a hitter, but it's the skating that kills me. The softness I can accept.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Seeing him push and do some stick work with McQuaid last game, I thought for sure that would be the end of him but he smartened up and got behind a linesman in time.

We just need one team, ONE, to see his stats and include him in a nice package (Duchene). He does have that wicked wrist shot, and think he would be ok on a non-playoff team so quietly hoping he is moved over the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad