Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Still Unsigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm not into collusion or conspiracy theories. But look around the league. Every team has a major RFA to sign and nothing seems to be happening. And once we hit September 1st, training camps are looming. What gives?

Are the owners-GM's-player agents playing some sort of game of chicken? Or is there some method to the madness?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I'm not into collusion or conspiracy theories. But look around the league. Every team has a major RFA to sign and nothing seems to be happening. And once we hit September 1st, training camps are looming. What gives?

Are the owners-GM's-player agents playing some sort of game of chicken? Or is there some method to the madness?

It's an interesting situation, we have Aho signing at a pretty reasonable $$ rate but wins on term as he gets to become a UFA at age 27. We have Meier setting himself up on essentially a 5 year / $34MM (guaranteed to get $10MM QO to walk him to UFA, or if declined becomes a UFA at 26. Matthews also took the 5 year deal which walks him to FA early.

I think the shorter term to get to FA is the strategy for many of these big RFAs after watching a huge cohort of 2nd contract RFAs sell themselves extremely short—so, if they're going to sign long term, they want to be compensated fairly for their UFA years.

If the first of the big RFAs scores a huge contract with a great comparable, it rises the boat and leverage of every remaining RFA. If the first RFA cracks and takes less than they should, it screws up the comparable for everyone else. A very delicate balance.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Aho got the term he wanted. Took a lower cap but if you factor in time value of money (assuming he was to be paid straight even salary), he likely comes out close to making the equivalent of around $9 mill per on an even salary contract.

All these ufa want the leverage of being able to hit ufa and sell 5/6 prime years.

Aho is ufa at 27. Skinner this summer was set to be ufa at 27 and he signed for $9 mill per with buffalo for the max term. Hayes at 27 got $7 mill for 7 years form Philly. JVR only lands 5 year term because he hit ufa at 29.

At 27, your prime can go to 32/33. So you’re in a much better negotiating position to get the extra 2 years on a max term.

Boeser, would be ufa at 27. Same as Connor, Meier, Chabot, Barzal, etc. What’s the better leverage for Brock on his next deal? 1 year from UFA at age 26, to land a max term deal to say 34 or sign away a ufa now until he’s 28. Max term to 36?

That’s why IMO these guys don’t want 7-8 year deals to take them to 29/30. Scheiffle took 8 years and he’ll hit ufa at 31 in the same year when Aho and Mathews hit the market. Not close to the same leverage as the other 2 younger guys. Only do the max term if the money is great.

Ekblad took max term at $7.5, which was the highest ever cap hit for a Dman coming out of elc, surpassing the $7 mill per if doughty back in 2011. Ekblad also had like 3 concussions before his elc ended so that deal made sense for him.

Have the 8 year term really benefitted McDavid, Draisaitl, Scheiffle, Eichel and Tarasenko? ( limiting to the max term ).

I’d say McD and Leon and Scheiffle have out played their deals already. Tarasenko is pretty close to his number as he begins his ufa years of his $7.5 per deal. Eichel, solid first year under new deal but hasn’t hit the $10 mill value yet but didn’t expect him to in year 1.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.

I think its simply a need to move money into the minors. And its easy to find a reason for that in training camp. Also the possibility of long term injury, trades, or retirement are all there too.

In addition letting things like this wait, can put Boeser into better shape and readiness for the season. Could be a career year for him, if he goes ballistic in the gym this offseason.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
He's not signed yet, but how could Benning screw up the Boeser contract?

And yes...the entire NHL is watching.

Last edited by a moderator:

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Oh, I'm going to go way out on a limb and guess....by misjudging his market value and failing to reserve sufficient cap space to fit Boeser's contract in?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Oh, I'm going to go way out on a limb and guess....by misjudging his market value and failing to reserve sufficient cap space to fit Boeser's contract in?

I do wonder how much of this delay is a result of our inability to resolve the Eriksson/cap situation. But I believe rosters can be non-compliant until the start of the season, correct?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I do wonder how much of this delay is a result of our inability to resolve the Eriksson/cap situation. But I believe rosters can be non-compliant until the start of the season, correct?
I dont think any of it considering we can fit around 7 mil after cutting the roster to 23.

His actual 'cap dance' begins when Roussel returns off of IR.

Right now it's a roster spot dance. Question is who gets cut... but that doesn't effect Boeser.

Jarko2004

Sep 15, 2004
Vancouver Island
I dont think any of it considering we can fit around 7 mil after cutting the roster to 23.

Right now it's a roster spot dance. Question is who gets cut... but that doesn't effect Boeser.
As soon as Sutter, Tanev, Edler play a few preseason games, the Canucks have over 20 mill in cap space. No?

Seriously, the salary cap is irrelevant as far as signing Boeser to any deal they desire goes.

If I was Boeser (with his injury history) and someone offered me 7 or 8 years, I'd take it and run to the bank.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Schaller & Loui E are the likely suspects to send to the Comets (or loaned to Team Iceland). Not having them in the lineup will have absolutely ZERO effect on the club. Frees up about 700K (after replacing both with a warm bodies making the NHL minimum).

As soon as Sutter, Tanev, Edler play a few preseason games, the Canucks have over 20 mill in cap space. No?
That's not really how the cap works I don't think.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

And when EP earns his bonuses. though probably fits under the cushion.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I hope we don’t overpay for Boeser. He is a goal scorer and that’s it. He does nothing else good. Bad skater , not a great passer, doesn’t hit, fight , backcheck etc. So if the scoring dries up, he doesn’t provide much else.

Reactions: EP40

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I hope we don’t overpay for Boeser. He is a goal scorer and that’s it. He does nothing else good. Bad skater , not a great passer, doesn’t hit, fight , backcheck etc. So if the scoring dries up, he doesn’t provide much else.
So doesn’t it make more sense to sign him to a 4 year deal to see whether he develops other parts of his game?

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Not really. Putting a player on LTIR prior to the start of the season can be problematic and limit the amount of relief the team gets. But if the Canucks sign Boeser they'll likely have no other option because they won't be able to get under the upper limit prior to naming the opening day roster.

Reactions: mouser

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
The amount of highly talented unsigned RFA is ridiculous
Seems like no one wants to be the first one
It seems to me that they're all waiting on marner to establish the top end. Aho kinda sold himself short but got alot of guaranteed money at the same time.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It seems to me that they're all waiting on marner to establish the top end. Aho kinda sold himself short but got alot of guaranteed money at the same time.
Plus he got it paid in lump sums rather than every 2 weeks during the season. So he can make more money off his earnings. Time value of money.

I’m sure if you ran the numbers vs a flat salary each year his deal would come out to close to $9 mill per. Originally he was asking $9.5 per for 5 years. So, it would be fairly close to what he was asking for if you factor that into the equation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad