Player Discussion Brock Boeser | Still Unsigned

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
So....... Please explain how its not Bennings fault we're in cap trouble and the worst team in the league.

Someone?
Anyone?
Benning is great GM I thought. Criticism is hindsight.

Reactions: vanuck

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
How in the F is the worst team in the league for the last FOUR years in cap trouble?

Hahahahaha can’t even make this stuff up.

Who could of known that filling your roster with overpaid, bottom 6/bottom pair players to long term deals every free agency is not a good idea?

I wonder what the over/under would be that Benning will say the Luongo retirement will be the reason for not having enough cap space to sign Boeser before the season, and why he missed camp.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Extremely disheartening news today so far. Sincerely hope this changes, but man it’s an ugly look right now. No way in hell Boeser should be missing camp, especially with this year being as important as management and ownership have proclaimed it to be.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Shhhhhhh!!

Pettersson is going to cost us big time.
"We can't do a long term deal Elias because we just just don't have the cap room. We only have $4.7 in cap space but we're prepared to give you ever dollar of it on a two year bridge while our Top Men in the capology lab work on a solution. Come on Elias, take one for the team eh. You know you love Vancouver".:propeller

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
I don't know about you guys, but I'm absolutely stunned that spending $11.5 million/year long-term in the summer of 2018 on three bottom-6 forwards + a winger with a career high of 35 points in Baertschi would come back to bite us in the ass the next year.

Who could possibly have seen this coming?

But there are many saying the Nucks don't have cap problems. I had an argument on Twitter with a Benning supporter about this a month ago.

Reactions: vanuck

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Signing Boeser to a short term deal instead of a long term deal would be a huge blunder and ruin any chances of us signing him for a reasonable number long term.

His next deal will be extremely expensive and either we will have to overpay or let him walk in a couple years.

The only right move is signing him long term now, while we can get him for decent value.

Do whatever you need to do to find the available cap space right now, put half the team on waivers, I don’t care.

Reactions: Love

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
But there are many saying the Nucks don't have cap problems. I had an argument on Twitter with a Benning supporter about this a month ago.
I know. If only we could think at the level of the Top Men in the capology lab we might rest easy. As it is, it looks like we'll have to give up high draft picks or other prime assets to get it done.

But surely that won't have to happen, right...

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Signing Boeser to a short term deal instead of a long term deal would be a huge blunder and ruin any chances of us signing him for a reasonable number long term.

His next deal will be extremely expensive and either we will have to overpay or let him walk in a couple years.

The only right move is signing him long term now, while we can get him for decent value.

Do whatever you need to do to find the available cap space right now, put half the team on waivers, I don’t care.
Yep, it's the Marc Bergevin PK Subban playbook.

It would seem...

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I still have a feeling Boeser eventually goes to the Red Wings or Wild. I have had that feeling for 2 years now...How he gets there? I sure as hell hope it's via trade so we can get something back for him.

Reactions: Zippgunn

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Like even just put aside the ridiculous Eriksson contract for a sec, WTF did we spend so much on Beagle and Schaller last year that now because we have those two guys we cant sign our 1st line forward goal scoring stud???!!!

THIS IS NUTS

Then the whole Myers joke contract

:shakehead :facepalm:

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Boeser has every right to be upset that fringe players are getting overpaid when if anyone deserves to be overpaid it’s a first liner like him.

To turn around and say that they can’t afford to pay him what he’s asking because their money is tied up with fourth liners and third pairing defensemen is a slap in the face.

Why should Boeser take a pay cut because our GM doesn’t know how to assess player value and pay them what their worth instead of overpaying?

When Gillis was building a contender and he convinced the Sedins to take a pay cut and sign for 6 million, the understanding was that everyone else would also take a pay cut and set a precedent that everyone would take less so they could contend.

If anything, Benning has set a precedent that players are going to be overpaid, so why shouldn’t Boeser demand more than market value?

And this is all a moot point because due to overpaying bottom tier players, we can’t even afford to give him market value, let alone an overpayment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad