Friedman: Brock Boeser is the hardest RFA to get a read on

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
This is Friedman saying he's incapable of even making something up like he has for the other RFAs. He's embarrassing himself this summer.

Makes a cheeky comment about how we offered more then anyone else for Ferland, doesn't do the same for Gardiner. Cheeky bastard.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
For sure I like Friedman and I don't think he ever makes stuff up. He seems to have real sources.

as far as I know he has nothing on the Canucks. If you want a reliable insider on Canucks related thing the only one person to be accurate is Rick Dhalliwal.

Reactions: FAMOUSfin

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Cap space isn’t the problem right now. We have plenty to sign him as Roussel goes on IR. It’s not about not having enough cap, it makes about trying to get the best deal possible for future cap space and to set the bar for future negotiations for Pettersson and Hughes for example.
Complete falsity. If cap space wasn’t a problem he’d be signed. Stupid summer spending when a team is bottom feeder has led to this

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You have to blame Benning, he has had over a year to negotiate a deal with Boeser. Either his demands are outrageous to the point of maybe hoping for a trade to be closer to home or Brock has an agent playing hard ball wanting his client to be paid and Brock is fine with that.

Lets just hope a deal gets done soon, still huge part of this is on Benning.

Boeser reportedly asked for $7M/4Y which really isn’t outrageous at all when you look at what Timo Meier got with a heavily inflated QO.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Boeser reportedly asked for $7M/4Y which really isn’t outrageous at all when you look at what Timo Meier got with a heavily inflated QO.
The Provorov deal seems fair to me as I don't think Boeser is worth more then Provorov. 6.75 per six years seems good to me. Now for those that say no way he settles for that would you not trade Boeser for Provorov? I would in a heart beat but doubt Flyers would.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Complete falsity. If cap space wasn’t a problem he’d be signed. Stupid summer spending when a team is bottom feeder has led to this
Disagree completely. Those summer moves were necessary. There’s final a buzz and hope to make the playoffs this year. They’re also long term moves as Miller, Myers and Ferland have plenty have hockey left in them. We have the cap to spend on Boeser, but we’re not going to just give him what he wants.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The Provorov deal seems fair to me as I don't think Boeser is worth more then Provorov. 6.75 per six years seems good to me. Now for those that say no way he settles for that would you not trade Boeser for Provorov? I would in a heart beat but doubt Flyers would.

Boeser is much better than Provorov and more importantly, the market dictates Boeser be paid more than Provorov.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Boeser is much better than Provorov and more importantly, the market dictates Boeser be paid more than Provorov.
I disagree and I'm sure many more would as well. However this is all subjective so your entitled to your opinion. One question I have though is whats more important a top pairing Dman or top line winger? I take the Dman every time myself.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

Hard to compare a winger to a D imo. A top 4D who can provide offence is key piece to your team. Not to put Boeser down, but as of now he has yet to become a 30g or 60pt player. Provorov has proven to be a durable D with a 40pt season under his belt at a young age. He regressed pt wise last year but I think he could bounce back this season under a new coach and another year in the league to mature.

Boeser should be happy to receive a 7m offer imo. Is he a talented player yes, he can snipe. He doesn't have blaring speed and is not used on the PK so he is somewhat of a 1 dimensional player, but he is young he can continue to get better and his stats dont back up that kind of payday as of yet. Canucks would be banking on him being healthy and being a 30g plus scorer by offering him that kind of deal hoping that it looks good on them going forward...just like the Horvat deal

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Still seems strange the Nucks would want to cheap out on the guy

They're not going to be overly competitive for the next few years regardless. Fighting over pennies seems a fruitless exercise and just alienates the player from wanting to commit longer term

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

They're not going to be overly competitive for the next few years regardless. Fighting over pennies seems a fruitless exercise and just alienates the player from wanting to commit longer term

Horvat signed a below market contract, and we have Hughes, Pettersson and Demko all coming due, so whether we're competitive next year, or the year after, shouldn't mean we pay 11 million to our top three players and hope everyone else ignore that and sign way below value.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
as far as I know he has nothing on the Canucks. If you want a reliable insider on Canucks related thing the only one person to be accurate is Rick Dhalliwal.
Even if Friedman doesn't have sources inside the Canucks organization, there is a decent chance he has sources with Boeser's agency. For example, I'm not sure Dreger has sources with the Maple Leafs any more (there preferred outlets are Bob McKenzie, Friedman, Chris Johnston, and James Mirtle) but he absolutely had sources with Darren Farris.

Reactions: shello

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013

How are the nucks cheaping out on Boeser?

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I disagree and I'm sure many more would as well. However this is all subjective so your entitled to your opinion. One question I have though is whats more important a top pairing Dman or top line winger? I take the Dman every time myself.

I would take the top pairing defenseman, but Provorov isn’t a top pairing defenseman.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna

We don't know what the Canucks have offered, the player has also never passed the 30g or 60pt mark, how much of an overpayment does that deserve...Brock needs to improve his foot speed/agility and become a more well rounded 2 way player before he can try to become an elite highly paid player imo.

Horvat signed a below market contract, and we have Hughes, Pettersson and Demko all coming due, so whether we're competitive next year, or the year after, shouldn't mean we pay 11 million to our top three players and hope everyone else ignore that and sign way below value.

Bo signed his deal before he really broke out and became this great 2 way force. He will also get paid after his deal is up, much like Brock will even if he signed a 6yr deal Brock would be 28 and in his prime to test the UFA market and field multiple big time $ offers

thebigbea

Jun 14, 2011
I like boeser but he doesn’t do a whole lot out there. Can’t really create, mainly rely on his shot on the PP.

Reactions: EP40

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I would take the top pairing defenseman, but Provorov isn’t a top pairing defenseman.
I can respect your opinion but don't agree. Provorov has shown a complete game and is a young Dman who traditionally take longer to mature then forwards. Boeser who I love is pretty one dimensional shooter that scores but does little else. His skating is atrocious. We have very few scorers hence we pump Boeser up a bit more then we should. Within a year or two Provorov will be considered one of the better Dman in league Boeser unless improves skating will be what he is a one dimensional player who can shoot but little else.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes sick flow and he's prince muthafukin charming. Probably deserves Marner money really

DPati4xVoAAS_JK.jpg

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I didn’t realize Boeser was 10.2(c) until McKenzie’s tweet. I wonder if Vancouver is looking for a three-year bridge deal rather than long-term, and three years allows them to keep his rights at the end of that term.

I personally think a deal gets done soon, though and follows the trend of the final year having a larger base salary/QO base.

forty47seven

May 2, 2009
I personally think a deal gets done soon, though and follows the trend of the final year having a larger base salary/QO base.

Yeah, that structure seems likely if it is a bridge deal. I'm hoping the final year is more in line with Werenski/McAvoy than Meier. San Jose probably overpaid in that qualifying year. The QO escalation from a 3X5 to a 4X6 shouldn't be 3 million dollars.

I really hope you're right about a deal getting done soon.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Uh... that's not something you can say with certainty. The deal with Boeser has to make sense for the future. We don't want a Nylander situation where our two best players (Petey and, I believe Hughes will establish himself as our 2nd best player quickly) can use Boeser's contract as an anchor to put us in cap hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad