Proposal: Bringing Buffalo to the promised land (TB/PHI, CGY)

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Cirelli is tough to gauge value of but I certainly think Tampa expected he'd take another step when they signed that deal, could see him being a victim of restructuring their cap. I don't know how hungry of a market there would be for him at 6.25

I love Cirelli, but he's a little overpriced at $6.25 M. But Sabres really need someone good in faceoffs and not average. It's crucial

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Our top 5 is set in stone:

Dahlin
Power
Byram
Sammy
Ryan Johnson

all we really need is a crease clearing type who can drop the mittss when needed, all this fails to mention Clifton still exists so now youre paying him what 4 mill to ride the bench while adding Andersson's contract? It just doesn't make sense.
Stone crumbles

Reactions: Fatass

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I want to see the people of Buffalo don their finest sweatpants for a long overdue playoff run next season. I think they can make some big moves while still holding on to their very best trade chips

Trade 1:
Buffalo gets: Anthony Cirelli + Nic Deslauriers
Tampa gets: Peyton Krebs + Buffalo 2nd
Philly gets: Conor Sheary + Tampa 5th

The rationale for Tampa here would theoretically be opening up cap room so they can resign Stamkos + Duclair and add a defenceman. Cirelli would be a great add for Buff but I have a hard time pegging his value. He's a very good player but his cap hit seems high for his production, despite his excellent defensive play. I figure Krebs gives Tampa a decent young player they can plug into their 3rd line, and recoups a draft pick in a year where they are pretty barren
I have Philly sending Deslauriers here because Buffalo could use some more snarl and it seems like he's kinda on the outs in Philly now. They get a pick for the money difference between Sheary/ND

Trade 2:
Calgary gets: 11th overall, Jokiharju, Ostlund/Rosen
Buffalo gets: Rasmus Andersson, Calgary 3rd

Buffalo is stacked on D but all 4 of their best are lefties. Andersson gives them a bonafide top pairing RD on a sweetheart deal for two seasons and IMO would instantly vault them to the best D core in the league. He plays a little nasty too which Buffalo needs more of.
By acquiring 11th overall, Calgary would likely be able to grab both Tij Iginla (team needs aside, the franchise would obviously love to do this) and whoever is left of the top 6 D in the draft - I'd guess probably Buium, Yakemchuk or Dickinson. They also get a good forward prospect and a youngish 2nd pairing D

That's awful for TB, they wouldn't touch that.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
That's awful for TB, they wouldn't touch that.
Most of these proposals are still the basic we're not going to give much value but give us a good player in return.

It's fine, the Sabres can continue to develop their high end prospects for other teams and watch them leave eventually, rather than acquiring good players now for said prospects and keep the cycle going.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Most of these proposals are still the basic we're not going to give much value but give us a good player in return.

That tends to be the nature of the trade forum.

It's fine, the Sabres can continue to develop their high end prospects for other teams and watch them leave eventually, rather than acquiring good players now for said prospects and keep the cycle going.

What high-end prospects have they lost that they've developed? It's an odd take that isn't actually true. They did deal a bunch of futures 9 years ago for established NHLers and then dealt some established NHLers for futures when they went into the post-Krueger rebuild. But there is no evidence of your comment being how things have actually gone.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
This was my line of thinking, there's an argument he's not worth his cap hit but I'd be interested to know how Tampa fans view him right now
Cirelli scored 20 goals this season and probably will hit 25 next year. He’s the teams number two center and plays against all the other teams top lines. He’s a great penalty killer. Where his term is a little longer than I might have given the question becomes who do you get to play that role for any less without regressing and is that player even available?

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Cirelli scored 20 goals this season and probably will hit 25 next year. He’s the teams number two center and plays against all the other teams top lines. He’s a great penalty killer. Where his term is a little longer than I might have given the question becomes who do you get to play that role for any less without regressing and is that player even available?
I think it's fair if Tampa internally has a lot of value on him, and it sounds like fans think they're more inclined to lose Stamkos than him, but if he was made available I just don't think he's returning any kind of king's ransom. I don't think the term is the issue given his age but I'll maintain I think it's very apparent Tampa thought he was going to take another step forward when giving him that deal, it's not out of the question that he still will

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

So I’m open minded in this but what makes you so sure he’ll make 25 goals next year? He already had a career high in s% this season. 27 year olds infrequently (though occasionally) have career years.

He’d need to triple his power play goals to make 25.

Reactions: Chainshot

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
I want to see the people of Buffalo don their finest sweatpants for a long overdue playoff run next season. I think they can make some big moves while still holding on to their very best trade chips

Trade 1:
Buffalo gets: Anthony Cirelli + Nic Deslauriers
Tampa gets: Peyton Krebs + Buffalo 2nd
Philly gets: Conor Sheary + Tampa 5th

The rationale for Tampa here would theoretically be opening up cap room so they can resign Stamkos + Duclair and add a defenceman. Cirelli would be a great add for Buff but I have a hard time pegging his value. He's a very good player but his cap hit seems high for his production, despite his excellent defensive play. I figure Krebs gives Tampa a decent young player they can plug into their 3rd line, and recoups a draft pick in a year where they are pretty barren
I have Philly sending Deslauriers here because Buffalo could use some more snarl and it seems like he's kinda on the outs in Philly now. They get a pick for the money difference between Sheary/ND

Trade 2:
Calgary gets: 11th overall, Jokiharju, Ostlund/Rosen
Buffalo gets: Rasmus Andersson, Calgary 3rd

Buffalo is stacked on D but all 4 of their best are lefties. Andersson gives them a bonafide top pairing RD on a sweetheart deal for two seasons and IMO would instantly vault them to the best D core in the league. He plays a little nasty too which Buffalo needs more of.
By acquiring 11th overall, Calgary would likely be able to grab both Tij Iginla (team needs aside, the franchise would obviously love to do this) and whoever is left of the top 6 D in the draft - I'd guess probably Buium, Yakemchuk or Dickinson. They also get a good forward prospect and a youngish 2nd pairing D

Tampa hangs up, blocks the number, and sets that cell phone on fire for that first trade. And JBB punches Buffalo's GM in the face at the next GM meetings.

ShaneinTpa

May 21, 2019
So I’m open minded in this but what makes you so sure he’ll make 25 goals next year? He already had a career high in s% this season. 27 year olds infrequently (though occasionally) have career years.

He’d need to triple his power play goals to make 25.
He doesn’t get a lot of time on the PowerPlay, but I think his increase will come from the fact that he has slowly progressed to the number two center position on the team and played With more consistent line mates this year, which increased his production. Again, I ask, who do you get to contribute as much as he does for any less than he’s making and more importantly is actually available to replace him? I think it’s also fair to say that a 27 few good players have reached their peak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad