Proposal: Bring Seth Jones Home

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ok.

Regardless, shortly the Hawks may be in a similar position to OEL:

A huge contract extending for multiple years while the performance of the player continues to fall off the cliff.

Like OEL, I suppose at that point no amount of retentions or picks will be able to get him moved.

His buyout would cost the Hawks around 56M and save them around 10M and last until 2036-37:

On the other hand, his contract will allow them to get to cap floor and probably play poorly during the rebuild, so they can get a high 1st rounder every year he plays until it expires in 2029-30.

Jones has played just fine considering how much of a tire fire the team has been his entire tenure. Especially this year when the goal was to be in the best position to draft Bedard.

There is nothing to compare between he and OEL.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Jones has played just fine considering how much of a tire fire the team has been his entire tenure. Especially this year when the goal was to be in the best position to draft Bedard.

There is nothing to compare between he and OEL.

So you are saying -38 at 1/3 higher cap hit is better than -24.

Look outside and please report back on the color of the sky in your world.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I want Jones on the Leafs; I think he'd find his game here - oddly. Or I'll be wrong and go down looking like an idiot

Murray + Robertson + picks/prospects

For a retained Jones.

I'm prepared to get flamed by either franchise.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Are you really using plus minus alone to determine player value and then suggesting other people don’t live in the real world?

Reactions: thesaadfather

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Feel like that puts Dallas in a bind years 3-7 when Wyatt, Robo, Otter, etc. will need new deals.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville

First of all - using +/- to compare players is ridiculous because the +/- stat is so dependent on the game situations each player is put in. It's really ridiculous to use +/- to compare players on different teams. In the case of Jones with Chicago and OEL with Vancouver - look at the difference in the teams - Vancouver had 83 points and a -22 goal differential whereas Chicago had 59 points and a -97 goal differential.

Jones also averaged more minutes on the worst team - he averaged 24:27 and played against the opposing top lines in the 72 games he played. OEL averaged 20:10 in the 54 games he played.

So - do you really still believe the +/- stats prove OEL is a better bargain than Jones?

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I want Jones on the Leafs; I think he'd find his game here - oddly. Or I'll be wrong and go down looking like an idiot

Murray + Robertson + picks/prospects

For a retained Jones.

I'm prepared to get flamed by either franchise.
I agree Jones would be a good fit there (leaving aside whether he’s willing), but that deal doesn’t do much for Chicago.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Retaining 25% to pay Lindell 5.8 is essentially paying Lindell $8m per year. That’s worse than keeping Jones.

Jones is overpaid but a value piece for Chicago. They have zero cap issues. In fact they have soo much space they can weaponize it to add to the team. They are one of the few clubs where a Jones like contract isn’t at all detrimental. Unlike how Nurse contract is killing the Oilers cap situation.

Talking about moving a top pairing RD, powerplay quarterback cause he’s maybe $2m per overpaid on a club hovering near the cap floor. This isn’t well thought out at all.

Last edited:

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
First of all - using +/- to compare players is ridiculous because the +/- stat is so dependent on the game situations each player is put in. It's really ridiculous to use +/- to compare players on different teams. In the case of Jones with Chicago and OEL with Vancouver - look at the difference in the teams - Vancouver had 83 points and a -22 goal differential whereas Chicago had 59 points and a -97 goal differential.

Jones also averaged more minutes on the worst team - he averaged 24:27 and played against the opposing top lines in the 72 games he played. OEL averaged 20:10 in the 54 games he played.

So - do you really still believe the +/- stats prove OEL is a better bargain than Jones?

I think the argument that Jones is crappier than OEL or OEL is crappier that Jones obfuscates the clear message that they are both crappy but also argues against the Hawks yielding anything from trading Jones as per the premise of the thread.

Hawks are not getting anything from trading Jones. He has extraordinary negative value and they should probably just keep him to muddle through to the cap floor during their rebuild.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I think the argument that Jones is crappier than OEL or OEL is crappier that Jones obfuscates the clear message that they are both crappy but also argues against the Hawks yielding anything from trading Jones as per the premise of the thread.

Hawks are not getting anything from trading Jones. He has extraordinary negative value and they should probably just keep him to muddle through to the cap floor during their rebuild.

We're both entitled to our opinions. I don't know what you base your opinion on. I base my opinion on watching every game Jones has played for the Hawks over the past 2 seasons with the exception of a handful of games I missed.

I would agree with the notion he's overpaid, but I do not agree with the notion he's a bad d-man. Far from it. Given the circumstances he's played under including his first year under a coach (Jeremy Colliton) who couldn't get the team to play cohesive defense. Furthermore, he has great value to the Hawks rebuilding process. Going into next season (Year-2 in the rebuild), he will be an anchor point for the many young d-prospects coming up to the NHL over the next 2-3 years.

So - go ahead and hate on him all you want - as a Hawks fan excited to see how well this rebuild goes - I'm happy we have Seth Jones, even at an AAV of probably around $2M too high.

Reactions: hawksrule

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Always weird when someone who obviously doesn’t watch a guy play tries to push a “clear message” of which he has no clue. Like, what’s the point.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He is already at home as I would assume he bought a home in Chicago.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If Dallas really want to get rid of Lindell for some reason, i'm sure they could find much better options for teams that would take him, without having to take back a disaster contract like Seth Jones.

Reactions: Pertti

belfour30

Connor Bedard Fangirl
Dec 14, 2019
Anyone who has watched SJ play in Chicago knows that he is a top pairing D that is maybe 1.5M overpaid.

He had a bad season the year before the Hawks acquired him.

Still a low end #1D. Ideally you'd like him to be your #2 but it's hard to find someone better than him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad