Proposal: Bring Seth Jones Home

thegoldenbrett

Jan 23, 2010
Coppell,TX
To Dallas: Seth Jones. Chicago retains 25%. (7 x 7.125) Cap hit to Dallas.

To Chicago: Esa Lindell (2 X 5.80) Cap hit.
Mavrik Bourque

Stars get a top pairing, right handed defenseman to pair with Heiskanen. Frees up cap space with Lindell trade.

Blackhawks get a serviceable defenseman and a 21 year old, promising prospect.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
To Dallas: Seth Jones. Chicago retains 25%. (7 x 7.125) Cap hit to Dallas.

To Chicago: Esa Lindell (2 X 5.80) Cap hit.

Stars get a top pairing, right handed defenseman to pair with Heiskanen. Frees up cap space with Lindell trade.

Blackhawks get a serviceable defenseman and a 21 year old, promising prospect.

Is the 21 year old invisible?

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Jones' contact has perhaps the most negative value in the league.

His play has been bad to mediocre for several years and he may be past his prime already.

To move Seth Jones the Hawks would probably have to retain 3.5M or more and give up their 19OA and a second just to get the conversations going with other teams.

They would probably also have to take a shorter bad contract on from the other teams as well.

I am not sure why the Hawks would do this when they likely want to be bad for a few years and need Jones' cap fodder to reach the cap basement.

Last edited:

Codez

Feb 1, 2023
I could see Dallas being Interested in this, however, Bourque would have to be replaced by Faska or Suter would have to be worked into the deal.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Jones isn’t even close to being near the worst contract in the league to me. He maintained above average metrics across the board playing a million minutes a night on what was clearly the biggest tire fire roster in the NHL by the end of the season.

Put Jones on Dallas or another strong team and he’s good again. He’s not Darnell Nurse, IMO.

At 28, I don’t think there’s gonna be a rush from the Blackhawks side to move him for cap purposes - clearly his cap is not even remotely a concern for them now.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Chicago keeps Jones and finds a suitable partner to play with him and develops a team around him in the next few seasons.

No reason to trade him for no long term elite pieces. The team has nothing but cap space. His contract is not an issue. We actually need it to get to the floor.

And when the team is ready to contend for the playoffs and beyond, he is exactly what every team needs. A 1st pair, right shot D.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Chicago keeps Jones and finds a suitable partner to play with him and develops a team around him in the next few seasons.

No reason to trade him for no long term elite pieces. The team has nothing but cap space. His contract is not an issue. We actually need it to get to the floor.

And when the team is ready to contend for the playoffs and beyond, he is exactly what every team needs. A 1st pair, right shot D.

this was an intelligent,articulate , well thought out post ….overruled … Nice post kiddo
8DAB0287-4310-4AA0-9F74-221F9248494E.jpeg

Reactions: Wally1112pac

Ledge And Dairy

His play has been bad to mediocre for several years and he may be past his prime already.

To move Seth Jones the Hawks would probably have to retain 3.5M or more and give up their 19OA and a second just to get the conversations going with other teams.

They would probably also have to take a shorter bad contract on from the other teams as well.

I am not sure why the Hawks would do this when they likely want to be bad for a few years and need Jones' cap fodder to reach the cap basement.
He was pretty solid this year. Thinking they would have to retain nearly 40% and pay to move him is extremely troll
7vFxwRK.png

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Jones has become ridiculously underrated. He was very good his first year in Chicago, and this year once his thumb injury healed he was again very good. Chicago has no need to trade him and retain, especially for seven years.

habsfan44

Jul 26, 2006

I am not sure why the Hawks would do this when they likely want to be b for a few years and need Jones' cap fodder to reach the cap basement.
delete

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Nope

Reactions: Njfj

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Don't see chicago doing this. I could see certainly see Dallas being open to it considering Jones at 7M is pretty nice, the term on lindells deal and the emergence of Thomas Harley.....and looking at it from a longer term approach a big lefty in Lian Bichsel on the way up as well.Given their depth down the left side long term it's sensible.

However, I think they're one more year away from doing something like this(if they ever do) with harley soaking up more experience and proving he deserves a top 4 spot etc.. and get bichsel another year closer

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Jones isn’t even close to being near the worst contract in the league to me. He maintained above average metrics across the board playing a million minutes a night on what was clearly the biggest tire fire roster in the NHL by the end of the season.

Put Jones on Dallas or another strong team and he’s good again. He’s not Darnell Nurse, IMO.

At 28, I don’t think there’s gonna be a rush from the Blackhawks side to move him for cap purposes - clearly his cap is not even remotely a concern for them now.
You're right. He worst. They had this discussion on TSN during the season and not one thought of the expert thought Jones was as good as Nurse. Nurse has the toughest assignments in the NHL during the last few years. Is Nurse overpaid, absolutely but not by as much as Jones. Maybe if they both had decent partners it would be a different story. Nurse at his best wasn't as good as Jones at his best but Nurse has never had a good partner to play with.

• Haha
Reactions: monkforasia

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I'd rather keep Jones. He will be a good top pairing partner for the parade of LD prospects ready to play in the NHL over the next several years. Kaiser, Vlassic and Phillips - all LD - will get games this season with Allan, del Mastro and Korchinski - all LD - following the next couple years. Jones is a good anchor on the right side to help ease in the prospects.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Uhhhh no... that would be Darnell Nurse

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Uhhhh no... that would be Darnell Nurse
Ok.

Regardless, shortly the Hawks may be in a similar position to OEL:

A huge contract extending for multiple years while the performance of the player continues to fall off the cliff.

Like OEL, I suppose at that point no amount of retentions or picks will be able to get him moved.

His buyout would cost the Hawks around 56M and save them around 10M and last until 2036-37:

On the other hand, his contract will allow them to get to cap floor and probably play poorly during the rebuild, so they can get a high 1st rounder every year he plays until it expires in 2029-30.

• Haha
Reactions: hawksrule

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Yea...no. Jones is a top pair RHD. He is overpaid, but then most UFA's deals are an overpay. Certainly not in the top 3rd and maybe not even the second third of top RHD, but he is a top pairing RHD. If he were making 7.5, most every team in the league would love to have him. Fact is, the Hawks could care less about his salary for the next 3 season and likely several beyond because they are not going to be flirting with the cap max until Bedard comes of his ELC and even then, they likely will also have a roster full of ELC contracts. Add in some cap inflation that is supposedly coming next Summer, and Jones contract is not likely to ever be an issue. Jones as a partner to pair with and mentor the bevy of LHD prospects in the Hawk pipeline is a significant consideration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad