GDT: Bring on the kids

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Thoughts:
- Zherenko deserved the shutout. He was phenominal tonight.
- Great overall team physicality.
- The Dean/Bolduc play had shades of Thomas/Kyrou.
- Loof was our best D and he's a lot bigger than he's listed. Very Jackman-esque game from him. The Wild weren't even testing his side late in the game.

CoMoBlues

Aug 16, 2010
Columbus, OH
Thoughts:
- Zherenko deserved the shutout. He was phenominal tonight.
- Great overall team physicality.
- The Dean/Bolduc play had shades of Thomas/Kyrou.
- Loof was our best D and he's a lot bigger than he's listed. Very Jackman-esque game from him. The Wild weren't even testing his side late in the game.

Agreed on all of the above. I was also impressed with how aggressive they seemed offensively, especially for a prospect type of game.

Reactions: mk80

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Kinda crazy that they brought 3 goalies to a 2 game tournament. Guess they're going to have 2 periods per goalie? Rough for the guy who gets the single period
Feel like they brought 3 intending to play 2 last year. Don’t want to dress zamboni guy I guess.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Not sure there is too much to take away from the game. Our 23 year olds looked 23 and our 18 year olds looked 18. Our 1st round picks looked like most talented guys out there, especially Bolduc.

in terms of the d specifically, Loof has look of near future nhl player. Let him settle into NA game and I can see him competing for spot next year. Gaudet and Buchinger seem on track too. Burns I like the potential, good size and mobility, but looked super raw. Biakabatuka looked tall and skinny and super raw. None of this was really muc of surprise.

the 2 d who made biggest impressions to me were Kessel and mayich. Kessel has size and mobility and skill, but in setting where he (as oldest and most experienced guy) shoulda shined I thought he looked mostly lost. The more I watch him the less I like him as prospect. mayich though really grew on me as game went on. He looked a bit awkward out there, but played simple effective physical game. He couid be one to watch develop. We couid have something there.

Reactions: mk80

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I watched the game last night (scouting the opposition :)). Very impressed with Zherenko - Wallstedt who? Since he played last night the Hawks will probably get the 2nd goalie -who is that and what should I expect from him?

Will the lineup be the same except the goalie or are there some guys who didn't get in the game last night we should probably see tonight?

There was some speculation if Bedard would play only one game this weekend or both - still don't know the answer to that but it looks like he's in the lineup tonight - centering Nick Lardis and Colton Dach.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I watched the game last night (scouting the opposition :)). Very impressed with Zherenko - Wallstedt who? Since he played last night the Hawks will probably get the 2nd goalie -who is that and what should I expect from him?

Will the lineup be the same except the goalie or are there some guys who didn't get in the game last night we should probably see tonight?

There was some speculation if Bedard would play only one game this weekend or both - still don't know the answer to that but it looks like he's in the lineup tonight - centering Nick Lardis and Colton Dach.
Our roster doesn't have many extra bodies that wouldn't have played last night. I would imagine Will Cranley probably next to start if not Zherenko, and Colton Ellis is pulling third string duties.

Reactions: EbonyRaptor

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

I believe we brought Cranley and Ellis as our other goalies, so I'd expect to see them split time. I like Ellis from what I have seen in juniors and camps. But he has not done well in his pro career, playing in the ECHL and not lighting it up. Cranley is just turning pro this year. They will both be in the ECHL this year unless they prove something and we loan them out. We went out and signed M alcom Subbann to be the AHL 1B/backup to Zherenko. So dthe Blues didn't have much faith in either of those guys.

Both have the tools to be special. Cranley is big and athletic. Ellis is ridiculously athletic and not small. But they can't seem to find consistency (Ellis as a pro, and Canley struggled a bit with that in the OHL). You can chase Cranley pretty easy as he goes on tilt after a bad goal. I honestly don't know why Ellis puts up crap stats as I don't watch much ECHL or his few AHL games.

The rest of the linup should be the same. We may swap 2 D to give everyone reps, but nobody you need to look out for particularly.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I believe we brought Cranley and Ellis as our other goalies, so I'd expect to see them split time. I like Ellis from what I have seen in juniors and camps. But he has not done well in his pro career, playing in the ECHL and not lighting it up. Cranley is just turning pro this year. They will both be in the ECHL this year unless they prove something and we loan them out. We went out and signed M alcom Subbann to be the AHL 1B/backup to Zherenko. So dthe Blues didn't have much faith in either of those guys.

Both have the tools to be special. Cranley is big and athletic. Ellis is ridiculously athletic and not small. But they can't seem to find consistency (Ellis as a pro, and Canley struggled a bit with that in the OHL). You can chase Cranley pretty easy as he goes on tilt after a bad goal. I honestly don't know why Ellis puts up crap stats as I don't watch much ECHL or his few AHL games.

The rest of the linup should be the same. We may swap 2 D to give everyone reps, but nobody you need to look out for particularly.

Thanks.

The Hawks goaltending situation isn't too good. The guy going tonight - Commesso - is our top goalie prospect and just starting his pro career after 3 years at Boston U. He should be the top goalie in Rockford this season and I'm anxious to see how he will do. He's only 6'2" which is on the smaller side by today's standards.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Getting ready here in St. Paul.
AC1D8404-08FA-430A-9A7C-C191A5A1CFA6.jpeg

C8CEEDA8-84AA-4CE2-8114-0A39D5C88258.jpeg

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Haven't watched the first game yet, but checking out this one live.

Kaiser looks way out of place lol, can do whatever he wants

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
Man Bitten was heated pretty much from puck drop. I didn't notice what pissed him off so bad but he kept screaming at perrott? After that fight

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Man Bitten was heated pretty much from puck drop. I didn't notice what pissed him off so bad but he kept screaming at perrott? After that fight
"I'm getting to old for this" Will Bitten (Probably)

I have realized, it is not Will, it is Sam. My bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad