Bring back the NHL Supplemental Draft?

blueshirts77

Oct 18, 2016
Buffalo, NY
What are your thoughts on the NHL bringing back the Supplemental Draft? The Supplemental Draft was used by teams to select collegiate ice hockey players who were not eligible for the standard Entry Draft. Basically was an off shoot to the NHL draft because of age. Would maybe help NHL teams with signing players in off season after college rather than having all NHL teams to choose from to keep the playing field equal. Thoughts?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Why?

The Supplemental draft existed for a short period because there was a pool of college players who weren't eligible to selected in the standard draft. The standard draft rules have changed since then so that group of players can now be drafted. The Supplemental draft became unnecessary.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Why?

The Supplemental draft existed for a short period because there was a pool of college players who weren't eligible to selected in the standard draft. The standard draft rules have changed since then so that group of players can now be drafted. The Supplemental draft became unnecessary.

To prevent players who have never played a game in the NHL from going straight to ufa status. It would mean less preferable markets could keep the assets they have drafted rather than losing them for nothing. I like the idea, personally. Either that, or close the hole allowing college kids to be free agents.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
CHL players can become free agents just as soon as college players can. We even see some undrafted age 18/19 year old players from the CHL signed as free agents each year.

What's the big difference?

P.S. and the OP's suggestion had nothing to do with players like Hayes, Schultz, Wheeler, etc becoming UFA's after not signing with the team that drafted them.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
To prevent players who have never played a game in the NHL from going straight to ufa status.

So everyone in Europe?

The main thing that determines elegibility for the Entry Draft now is age. There aren't other complex rules involving college players. A supplemental draft would be pointless in that regard.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I remember it back in the 90's. It's how Steve Rucchin got picked. Given the # of college free agents these days I can see why it could be brought back.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
What are your thoughts on the NHL bringing back the Supplemental Draft? The Supplemental Draft was used by teams to select collegiate ice hockey players who were not eligible for the standard Entry Draft. Basically was an off shoot to the NHL draft because of age. Would maybe help NHL teams with signing players in off season after college rather than having all NHL teams to choose from to keep the playing field equal. Thoughts?

I'm confused. So if you draft a player in college, and then they play college for 4 years, someone else can draft them at that point?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I remember it back in the 90's. It's how Steve Rucchin got picked. Given the # of college free agents these days I can see why it could be brought back.

And what would be the difference between the supplemental draft and the entry draft, considering the conditions for excluding college players don't exist anymore?

How many college free agents are there that didn't do their time first? Schultz, Wheeler, Reilly, Benning... That would me a mighty pointless draft.

The vast majority of college players did their four years, so a supplemental draft wouldn't apply to them anyway.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Big question is why would the NHLPA agree to it? This isn't something that can be imposed by the NHL without a negotiation. Even if it only affects a limited number of college free agents, the NHLPA isn't going to give up those free agent rights now without getting something else back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad