WJC: Bring back the bye to semifinals for the group winners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebo*

The problem is Canada has free pass to final. But Sweden, the other group winner, needs to play against worst possible oppnents. Right now it feels Canada has a bye to final with the opponents they have. How is that fair??? Should the WJC be decided with luck???

:cry:

Oh my. How come you're not in the gdt watching sweden win?

:cry:

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
There was plenty of dirty play on both sides of the summit series. Like Boris Mikhailov kicking and cutting Gary Bergman.

But yea only Canadians play dirty hockey.

It's by far the team that play the dirtyst hockey of all other counterys... but i don't say its only Canada thats play dirty...

SpeedDemon

Apr 13, 2011
Classified
The problem is Canada has free pass to final. But Sweden, the other group winner, needs to play against worst possible oppnents. Right now it feels Canada has a bye to final with the opponents they have. How is that fair??? Should the WJC be decided with luck???

Canada has .... well now I'd say had (given the time of my post) because that's the way the chips fell. They still had to win those 2 games but they were simply easier opponents, nothing more. Were it Sweden in Canada's place you'd be singing a completely different tune.

As far as the World Juniors being decided by luck, luck plays a part in any competition. It's not a major factor, but does play a role. In some cases a pivotal role. deal with it. stop being a whiner

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm on the fence. I don't really like the first round bye but I also found the round robin more interesting when only 3/5 in each division made it in.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Meh, I like it this way, again if you truly are a good team you should be able to win against a 4th place team.

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
Only 3 out of 5 moving on and #1 getting a bye made the round robin very intense/meaningful.

I find the new format to be very lame until the quarterfinal

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I'm on the fence. I don't really like the first round bye but I also found the round robin more interesting when only 3/5 in each division made it in.

I'm the same way. The battle for 1/2, and 3/4 were huge back under the old format. It was make SF directly or have to play QF, and make QF or be out altogether and face potential relegation.

Maybe we should go to 12 teams with 4/6 teams in each pool making QF, that way it's not just a don't come last thing, but there's no bye either.

I think with the improvement of the lower level teams they could handle it. Teams 11/12 would be just as competitive as teams 9/10 were 5 years ago, and it leaves the lower nations out of a potential relegation scare during their weaker years. Nobody wants to see Slovakia or the Swiss relegated, and even Germany could stay up most of the time with 12 teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad