Proposal: Bring Back Kevin Lowe

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Someone had to make this thread.

He was the last general manager we had who seemed genuinely invested in this team's direction and wellbeing unlike the donkeys that came after who were either stealing paychecks or outright trying to sabotage the team's future. He didn't always make the right moves but every year you could tell he had a plan/vision for the team, identified the players to execute that vision, then went out and did what it took to get them. Yeah he sometimes overpaid for a Souray or Penner, but other times he stole players like Pronger peanuts and just overall was better at acquiring actual good hockey players.

Notable players brought in by Lowe who made noticeable positive impact on the copper and blue at some point in time:
-C: Horcoff, Reasoner, York, Stoll, Brodziak, Nedved, Peca, Cogliano, Sykora, Gagner
-W: Carter, Hemsky, Dvorak, Torres, Stortini, Samsonov, Penner, Glencross, Eberle
-D: Brewer, Ferguson, MAB, Staios, Greene, Gilbert, Pronger, Tarnstrom, Spacek, Petry, Smid, Tjarnqvist, Hejda, Grebeshkov, Pitkanen, Souray, Visnovsky
-G: Conklin, Dubnyk, Roloson, Garon

The gap between him and the 4 mongrels who came after him is bigger than the distance between the Milky Way and Andromeda.

This was the last GM you could tell actually cared about being an Oiler and wanted the team to succeed. We shouldn't have memed him for 6 Rings. I'll take 6 Rings over the likes of Tambo/Chia/Holland every day.
71y1ug.jpg

Last edited:

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
I have no ill feelings towards Lowe. I still laugh at the Oil Change Doc when Lowe tells Tambo in LA at that big dinner "Now clean up the mess" loll

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
lucky trade when you look at it...dismantled a good Sather-built team year by year until he bailed in 2008

never forget Comrie wanted out under his watch and refused a trade involving Corey Perry
Where's our lucky trade since then? Last time I remember a clean undebatable trade win was Paajarvi+2nd for Perron.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
lucky trade when you look at it...dismantled a good Sather-built team year by year until he bailed in 2008

never forget Comrie wanted out under his watch and refused a trade involving Corey Perry
It would be forgivable if that Comrie trade didn’t go down based on improper prospect evaluation (Perry), but Lowe actually preferred the deal but traded him to Philly out of spite because he wanted Comrie to pay back part of his signing bonus to facilitate the trade to Anaheim (preferred destination due to location/proximity to his dad).

This is a man who lets emotion fog his decision making time and time again.

No thanks. Don’t need a redux on that.

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019
You guys are all talking about his GM moves... which is fair I guess, since the thread is about bringing him back.

I just thought he was an arrogant ass. Born on third base, thinks he hit a triple.

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Someone had to make this thread.

He was the last general manager we had who seemed genuinely invested in this team's direction and wellbeing unlike the donkeys that came after who were either stealing paychecks or outright trying to sabotage the team's future. He didn't always make the right moves but every year you could tell he had a plan/vision for the team, identified the players to execute that vision, then went out and did what it took to get them. Yeah he sometimes overpaid for a Souray or Penner, but other times he stole players like Pronger peanuts and just overall was better at acquiring actual good hockey players.

Notable players brought in by Lowe who made noticeable positive impact on the copper and blue at some point in time:
-C: Horcoff, Reasoner, York, Stoll, Brodziak, Nedved, Peca, Cogliano, Sykora, Gagner
-W: Carter, Hemsky, Dvorak, Torres, Stortini, Samsonov, Penner, Glencross, Eberle
-D: Brewer, Ferguson, MAB, Staios, Greene, Gilbert, Pronger, Tarnstrom, Spacek, Petry, Smid, Tjarnqvist, Hejda, Grebeshkov, Pitkanen, Souray, Visnovsky
-G: Conklin, Dubnyk, Roloson, Garon

The gap between him and the 4 mongrels who came after him is bigger than the distance between the Milky Way and Andromeda.

This was the last GM you could tell actually cared about being an Oiler and wanted the team to succeed. We shouldn't have memed him for 6 Rings. I'll take 6 Rings over the likes of Tambo/Chia/Holland every day.
71y1ug.jpg
LOL

Sorry--this board made IT Clear that both Mact and Lowe needed to be drawn, quartered and hung and then fed into a wood chipper.

Even when Lowe had no job title with the oilers, people wanted him fired

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
His drafting actually was not that bad ... what the Oilers have had the last 7 years is bad.

Hemsky, Stoll, Petry, Dubnyk, Cogliano, Eberle were all good picks and all players who were impact level players at the NHL level and the not one of those picks was even a top 12 selection. Sure he missed on some oppurtunities but no one has 100% hit record in drafting.

If we had even a Hemsky level player to show for our last 7 drafts (3 of which have been top 10 picks, lol) we'd be so much further along as a team.

But at this stage, nah, the game has probably passed Lowe by. It's just sad that Chiaraelli and Holland are that much worse than Lowe ever was. At least Lowe was able to win the occasional trade, bring in an occasional impact player like a Glencross from out of nowhere, and draft someone decent occasionally .... Oilers GMs for the McDavid era can't do any of those things.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't care for this idea that "the game has passed him by" just because he's old. The GM of the club that just beat Edmonton is 80 years old.

That said, do we want Kevin Lowe running the team today? No, we do not.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Penner wasn't a bad get at all to be honest.

We could badly use a 2010-era Dustin Penner right about now.

If McDavid could push Maroon to 27 goals, he could probably get Penner giving us 35 a season.

BardownMagic

Oct 13, 2022
Rent Free
Where's our lucky trade since then? Last time I remember a clean undebatable trade win was Paajarvi+2nd for Perron.
Ken holland was supposed to mend the rift between the oilers and the nhl old boys club. It worked in some ways, player agents more willing to come here and the schedule wasnt too bad last year. Those dustin penner and thomas vanek offersheets resetting rfa contract standards(and hall/ebs/nuge) still echo to this day.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ken holland was supposed to mend the ridt between the oilers and the nhl old boys club. It worked in some ways, player agents more willing to come here and the schedule wasnt too bad last year. Those dustin penner and thomas vanek offersheets resetting rfa contract standards(and hall/ebs/nuge) still echo to this day.

Both the Penner and Vanek offer sheets were fine. If some GMs didn't like it, tough shit. You do what you have to do to get better players on your team.

BardownMagic

Oct 13, 2022
Rent Free
Both the Penner and Vanek offer sheets were fine. If some GMs didn't like it, tough shit. You do what you have to do to get better players on your team.
To an extent i agree, but other gms/management groups decided it was worth keeping the oilers on the outside when it comes to certain trades/trade values. Shopping a guy and not even bothering to call the oil or asking absurd prices compared to where they get moved. His treatment(not just his, other people were involved too) of souray and pushing him bsck from injury early had an impact on ufas as well. Souray, among others, talked mad **** about edmonton and the oilers and it made it difficult to attract talent.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Ken holland was supposed to mend the rift between the oilers and the nhl old boys club. It worked in some ways, player agents more willing to come here and the schedule wasnt too bad last year. Those dustin penner and thomas vanek offersheets resetting rfa contract standards(and hall/ebs/nuge) still echo to this day.
He also bent the knee to a Chicago team that was desperate to give Duncan Keith away. He has no creativity and is more worried about making enemies than getting wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad