Confirmed with Link: Brind'Amour Extended for 3 years

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Rod was on Adam Gold today and talked about the 3 years. Said he didn't want more than 3 years because he didn't want to have to quit (if the deal was longer) or be fired. He said he likes the players they have now but things can change in 3 years time.

Aho, TT, and Pesce are UFAs in 3 years. Slavin in 4 years.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Rod was on Adam Gold today and talked about the 3 years. Said he didn't want more than 3 years because he didn't want to have to quit (if the deal was longer) or be fired. He said he likes the players they have now but things can change in 3 years time.

Could be as well talking about his bottom six favorite work horses. Probably is. To those guys the difference between $1.2M and $1.7M AAV matters a lot and will be causing issues in their re-signing to Canes.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I still think Brind'Amour will either win a cup or finish out a deal with a really strong run and ride into the sunset. I don't think he'll stick around a rut long enough to be fired, not because he doesn't have tenacity or anything but because I don't think his goal is to stick around forever. He wants to pull the canes out if the doldrums and will step away when he feels that job has been done.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I still think Brind'Amour will either win a cup or finish out a deal with a really strong run and ride into the sunset. I don't think he'll stick around a rut long enough to be fired, not because he doesn't have tenacity or anything but because I don't think his goal is to stick around forever. He wants to pull the canes out if the doldrums and will step away when he feels that job has been done.

Bet he moves into the office in some capacity, probably some type of advisory role to stay in the origination.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

I think Rod re-signs every 3 years for another 3 years until he's burnt out and has a successor lined up. Short enough contract to not feel trapped but long enough to still have legitimate skin in the game. I would also not be shocked if he tries to groom Williams into being that successor

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Congratulations on the least surprising, yet relieving news for your Team. Thank you to everyone for the related links and quotes. Such an impressive person to have as the face of the Organization & cementing culture for the next few years.

I agree with those who suggested that Rod has areas of improvement in his approach (during the Playoff GDT’s). However, I also have full confidence that he is the type of person who is open to learning from his mistakes.

I don’t pretend to know this man, but he presents (to me) as an open minded type who holds himself accountable first. It will not surprise me at all if we see the coaching staff around him move on to be successful as well.

As I mentioned in the Jack Adams Thread, no Like privileges, so this will need to do:
42972E54-455C-49CE-9887-9D008946248D.gif

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I think Rod re-signs every 3 years for another 3 years until he's burnt out and has a successor lined up. Short enough contract to not feel trapped but long enough to still have legitimate skin in the game. I would also not be shocked if he tries to groom Williams into being that successor

i think anyone that signs a contract with dundon should go 3 years or less. things could change at a moment's notice and you could go from happy in your role to miserable. in my opinion, dundon didn't do right by aho. others will disagree vehemently, some will agree. i just think it's bordering on disrespectful to make a player sign a contract with another team to get his due when you want said player to be the centerpiece of your franchise. it's part of dundon's instinct though to not pay sticker price. he wants a cash offer from somewhere else and the negotiation done for him. if aho could have only shaken loose offers for $7.5 per or something, dundon would have used that to frame his offer no question. making a player and his agent produce a legal contract from another team was penny wise pound foolish. dundon had him seek offers with the compensation price factored in, which put him at a tremendous disadvantage trying to maximize the money. rod knows how much he can trust dundon to honor any promises made in excess of his contractual obligation and his term tells the story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad