Brilliant logic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdBelfour20

Jan 19, 2004
The offer by the NHLPA has the cap set so high that the affect would be negligable.. Dumb post.

Cropduster

Aug 22, 2004
California
why would the NHL accept it? The day is still young. The will both counter back-in-forth until something is met in the middle, most likely

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Obviously, a compromise would be around $46M, but if it's to be done, I think it will end up around $44M and the NHLPA avoids linkage.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
I think "reject" is too harsh a word...

I think the two reject each others numbers now, however the framework is obviously there, and as such it's tough to actually call it rejecting the offer fully.

47 million :)

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
Like the pundits have said all along, there is a salary cap deal the players would accept (if it was high enough), and there is a luxury tax deal the owners would accept (if it was severe enough).

BTW, nice pic cropduster, holding out hope for a tour this summer.

some_chick

Jun 22, 2004
Los Gatos, CA
I agree. The offer by the PA was a joke. It basically defeated the purpose of having a salary cap. I'm hoping by the end of the day, or first thing tomorrow morning, we'll hear about a deal reached that includes a salary cap at about $42MM.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
HABitual said:
NHL demands salary cap
NHLPA initially rejects it
NHLPA offers counter-deal including salary cap
NHL rejects it

BRILLIANT! I'm getting a headache just trying to think of how brilliant this logic is :help:
Think of the salary cap like the cap that you might wear on your head.

The NHL wants an LA Kings cap.
The NHLPA is offering a NY Rangers cap.
But the NHL doesn't want a NY Rangers cap.

See now?
Good.

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
getnziggywidit said:
Think of the salary cap like the cap that you might wear on your head.

The NHL wants an LA Kings cap.
The NHLPA is offering a NY Rangers cap.
But the NHL doesn't want a NY Rangers cap.

See now?
Good.

ohhhhhhh....well, I understand the NHL now

pfff, NY Rangers....lol :lol

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
someSHARKchick said:
I agree. The offer by the PA was a joke. It basically defeated the purpose of having a salary cap. I'm hoping by the end of the day, or first thing tomorrow morning, we'll hear about a deal reached that includes a salary cap at about $42MM.

The PA offer was not a joke in any way. It wasa high number, but no joke. A 24% rollback, AND a Salary cap is a joke to you?

Let me guess...you want a ten million dollar cap, and a 99% rollback?

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
GregStack said:
The PA offer was not a joke in any way. It wasa high number, but no joke. A 24% rollback, AND a Salary cap is a joke to you?

yes, yes we do ;)

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
GregStack said:

The whole point of a cap was to try and limit salaries to a certain percentage of income (53-54), by setting the cap at $52 along with the expected decline in income due to the labor problems, the % of salaries could easily get back to 75%+
That said, for the first time, it looks like both sides might be talking the same language and there is a base for negotiations to begin.

VinnyVinnyVici

Mar 16, 2004
Dade City, FL
GregStack said:

Figures a Leafs fan would have no problem with a $52 million cap...

...unfortunately, a $52 million cap is just low enough to guarantee that just about everyone BUT the Leafs would go out of business. :shakehead

some_chick

Jun 22, 2004
Los Gatos, CA
GregStack said:

I stand by my comment, regardless of what you think. The purpose of the cap is to control team spending, and keeping salaries at a reasonable range. A one-time 24% rollback and $52MM cap will not help the league in the long run IMO.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Bulin Wall said:
Figures a Leafs fan would have no problem with a $52 million cap...

...unfortunately, a $52 million cap is just low enough to guarantee that just about everyone BUT the Leafs would go out of business. :shakehead
Reminder, a $52M cap does not require that all teams spend $52M on their salaries. It is the maximum any team can spend.

Even a $52M cap will put a drag on salaries.

The Rangers, Red Wings, Stars, Avs, etc. won't be able to offer outrageous salaries anymore, like the one the Rangers gave to Holik for example..

freakydave

Feb 10, 2004
otp.phpbbweb.com
getnziggywidit said:
Reminder, a $52M cap does not require that all teams spend $52M on their salaries. It is the maximum any team can spend.

The Rangers, Red Wings, Stars, Avs, etc. won't be able to offer outrageous salaries anymore, like the one the Rangers gave to Holik for example..
Finally one of the owner supporters gets it.

Titanium

Oct 20, 2003
Nottinghamshire, Eng
Visit site
MOEBEAGLE said:
It would if the tax were to be put on that say 1.00 to 2.00 per 1 dollal you go over would have an impact. From 45 million to 50 million 1 dollar for every dollar you exceed 45 million. 50+ taxed at 2 dollars per every 1 dollar over that .

What you reall want is so call even spending and that should not happen. If my revenue will support a bigger pay roll or I just want to have a good competitive team I should be able to spend what I want It is my team is it not. If you will not or cannot well thats your choice and you live by that decession. :banghead:

Nobody ever said life was fair and we all have equal chances so why should you as poor team dictate what i spend ?????? :mad:

Possibly because the league cannot survive under a system like that! This notion of a free market needs to be abandoned, since in most other markets, if a few companies go out of business, the market still exists! A league, any league, cannot operate in the same way because the market isn't guaranteed to survive if some franchises are lost!

Titanium

Oct 20, 2003
Nottinghamshire, Eng
Visit site
getnziggywidit said:

Out of interest, how many teams are currently over $52m in salaries before the rollback?

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
freakydave said:
Finally one of the owner supporters gets it.
Finally I get it? I got it the whole time.

The problem now is that without linkage (certainty) the cap the owners will accept must be lower than the players are going to like.

freakydave

Feb 10, 2004
otp.phpbbweb.com
getnziggywidit said:
Finally I get it? I got it the whole time.

The problem now is that without linkage (certainty) the cap the owners will accept must be lower than the players are going to like.
I wasn't being condescending.(at least i didn't mean to be)
Linkage is the biggest stumbling block & for good reason.Defining & accounting for
hockey related revenue is a nightmare they(the owners) should be happy to avoid.The owners should grab the 52 mill cap & run.Let the GM's figure out how to stay under 45 million if they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad