Speculation: Brian McGrattan

Sep 13, 2009
I'll be disappointed if the Flames don't re-sign him. Was surprisingly effective after being re-acquired from NSH last season. With the Flames re-building, they'll need someone to protect the kids.

Any news on Grats?

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
1 year max.
Was gonna say this. Last enforcer-type guy we signed to a multi year contract was Tim Jackman and he flopped hard. I know Grats knows his role here but let's just keep things simple. Enforcers are typically one-and-done contracts.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Was gonna say this. Last enforcer-type guy we signed to a multi year contract was Tim Jackman and he flopped hard. I know Grats knows his role here but let's just keep things simple. Enforcers are typically one-and-done contracts.
The problem is Jackman was being misused. He is not an enforcer, he is an energy guy, that will fight if needed, it is not the main part of his game.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I would be very surprised if he isn't signed, he seemed ecstatic to be back in Calgary and Feaster said he brought a big presence in the dressing room.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Even 3 years I'd like to see. The guy's the toughest enforcer Calgary has had in a long time. And he had some serious heroics at the end of the season. He's earned his place on the team IMO.

stlflamesfan

Nov 23, 2010
I will never forget one game while watching the Flames warm up at a Blues game a few years ago. There was a person next to me that commented how mean and tough McGrattan looked. I could not help but laugh at that comment and told them who he was and that was his exact purpose. Hopefully we keep him because he is needed on this team.

J Murda

Oct 1, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
My hope is that McGrattan takes on a mentor ship role with Ferland (and hopefully the seventh round psychos if my fantasy is fulfilled) and shows them the ropes of the role. McG has been through a lot and now spends his time helping out players going through the same things, notably Jordin Tootoo. A guy like Ferland could learn a lot from him and plus we need the muscle, and there really isn't anyone tougher.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I will never forget one game while watching the Flames warm up at a Blues game a few years ago. There was a person next to me that commented how mean and tough McGrattan looked. I could not help but laugh at that comment and told them who he was and that was his exact purpose. Hopefully we keep him because he is needed on this team.

Last game I was at in Vancouver I was standing down by the glass during warmup. When McGrattan skated by, everyone's jaw dropped. He's in a completely different size class than the other players on the team, it's incredible. I'm pretty sure his head is the size of Johnny Gaudreau's torso.

If I recall correctly, he went ahead and laid an absolute beating on Zac Kassian.

TylerSVT*

The problem is Jackman was being misused. He is not an enforcer, he is an energy guy, that will fight if needed, it is not the main part of his game.

Jackman is good at nothing. He throws 5 hits a game, doesnt get in fights, and cant even score anymore. Useless players like him deserve league min for 1 year.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

That is what he was supposed to be doing, instead he staked around in the offensive end trying to make plays he doesn't have the hands to finish.

He hasn't played the "energy" part of his game in a long time.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That is what he was supposed to be doing, instead he staked around in the offensive end trying to make plays he doesn't have the hands to finish.

He hasn't played the "energy" part of his game in a long time.
are you new to the game? because if you weren't you would know every player tries to make plays to score whether they have the hands or not and a quality chance from a guy like Jackman does create a ton of energy.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
are you new to the game? because if you weren't you would know every player tries to make plays to score whether they have the hands or not and a quality chance from a guy like Jackman does create a ton of energy.

Oh boy. Listen before you accuse people of being "new to the game" you should understand the difference between offense-first forwards, two-way forwards ect.

Jackman was expected to play a two way game, and when he was on the ice he spent most of his time trying to drive up the board and then cut into the slot, or wrap around the net. He did it countless times this season and it was frustrating to no end. I am not saying Jackman should "never shoot", im saying he should not have been trying to play like Sidney Crosby and do everything in the O-zone by himself.

It took away from his energy and checking game, because so many plays died on his stick, we would lose possession and be skating back to the other end.

Try watching some games this year.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Would be a mistake not to re-sign him as the organization will just waste assets acquiring an enforcer down the road when they realize they need one.

A one year deal is plenty.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oh boy. Listen before you accuse people of being "new to the game" you should understand the difference between offense-first forwards, two-way forwards ect.

Jackman was expected to play a two way game, and when he was on the ice he spent most of his time trying to drive up the board and then cut into the slot, or wrap around the net. He did it countless times this season and it was frustrating to no end. I am not saying Jackman should "never shoot", im saying he should not have been trying to play like Sidney Crosby and do everything in the O-zone by himself.

It took away from his energy and checking game, because so many plays died on his stick, we would lose possession and be skating back to the other end.

Try watching some games this year.
took away from his checking game despite the fact he had his highest hits per game since joining the Flames.

Let's be honest here, certain people are unhappy that he never continued his scoring pace from his first season with the team. His hits per game have increased each season since joining us. He always created energy on the ice, just because you find it frustrating does not mean he wasn't doing his job.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I love McGrattan. He makes everyone in the lockerroom feel comfortable. I actually wouldn't be opposed to putting Jackman in the minors and getting another enforcer.

Jackman is useless. I still don't get how he managed to get himself a multi-year extension.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
took away from his checking game despite the fact he had his highest hits per game since joining the Flames.

Let's be honest here, certain people are unhappy that he never continued his scoring pace from his first season with the team. His hits per game have increased each season since joining us. He always created energy on the ice, just because you find it frustrating does not mean he wasn't doing his job.
Those people are probably pretty uneducated then IMO. Everyone knew that Jackman wasn't being brought in as a goal scorer, wasn't being paid to be a goal scorer. The fact he scored 10 goals in a season was overjoyous, for sure, but it was also a complete anomaly. His career high before Calgary was 5 goals. The fact anyone expected him to hit 10 for the second year in a row is laughable.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Those people are probably pretty uneducated then IMO. Everyone knew that Jackman wasn't being brought in as a goal scorer, wasn't being paid to be a goal scorer. The fact he scored 10 goals in a season was overjoyous, for sure, but it was also a complete anomaly. His career high before Calgary was 5 goals. The fact anyone expected him to hit 10 for the second year in a row is laughable.
That's what Flames fans do though. They get unrealistic expectations for whatever reason and then turn on them. It's a classic pattern.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
That's what Flames fans do though. They get unrealistic expectations for whatever reason and then turn on them. It's a classic pattern.

Jacks was as close to useless as you can get last year. Sure he threw hits, but it doesn't mean much when they were non factors and mostly just bumps. The only other player I've seen expend that much energy to do nothing was Kostopolous. I do agree that he was misused by basically being told to be an enforcer, but he really needs to simplify his game again.. Another reason to keep McGrattan, let him fight the other teams goons and let Jackman get back to a basic grinder role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad