Waived: Brian McGrattan (Calgary)

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
A player that Pittsburgh could use desperately. An enforcer that is the best fighter in the league. A better player than both Craig Adams and Zach Sill. A fourth-line of Blake Comeau, Marcel Goc, and Brian McGrattan would be a significant improvement. With Brandon Bollig on the team; McGrattan was put on waivers.

Last season he put up eight points in seventy-six games. Three points in nineteen games the previous season. Has gone pointless in eight games this season. McGrattan has always had a nice wrist shot and is strong around the boards. You want Crosby and Malkin to be given space? This move certainly couldn't hurt. He knows his role on the team. Very respected in the locker room. Was loved in Calgary. Surprised that he is even in this situation.

I'm with you, Siller. I would send Adams packing and replace him with McGrattan. Good in the room, ideal fourth-line enforcer, turned his life around, respected leader now. All positives.

This whole enforcers thing is cyclical. They'll be back.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Lets enquire about what Steve McIntyre is doing, and call up PL3 while we're at it. Maybe Trevor Gillies is interested in some NHL employment, and Eric Godard and Steve McKenna can come out of retirement. Bottom 6 right there baby, nobody would mess with us then right! They'd be too busy scoring at will, but nobody would mess with us yo.

Or we could move on from the outdated and soon to be extinct 'enforcer' and realize that they dont belong in the NHL anymore

Nei1ey*

This might the worst suggestion i ever seen from anyone on hockey forums, congrats sir, that takes some skill or lack there of. :handclap:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
JagSid in 3-2-1.....

Actually, I think this is one enforcer related suggestion that not even JagSid will get behind.....

I have faith in you, mate! :D

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
I'm embarrassed for you.

Don't get embarrassed over a post on the internet.

I'm with you, Siller. I would send Adams packing and replace him with McGrattan. Good in the room, ideal fourth-line enforcer, turned his life around, respected leader now. All positives.

This whole enforcers thing is cyclical. They'll be back.

Agreed. Good post as always, Jag. McGrattan is a better player than what he gets credited for. He's not your Steve MacIntyre or Trevor Gillies. I think he is more than capable of playing a regular shift. Bob Hartley even gave McGrattan some minutes on the checking line last season. McGrattan being waived seems like the organization wants to give him a better opportunity somewhere else.

I recommend watching the LNAH.

Are these games even televised anymore? I'll stick to watching the NHL.

This might the worst suggestion i ever seen from anyone on hockey forums, congrats sir, that takes some skill or lack there of. :handclap:

It feels good.

McGrattan has 1 fight in his last 38 games. ONE fight. What does it matter if he's the best fighter in the league if he isn't fighting? And if he isn't fighting, what purpose does he serve for a hockey team? Well you have your answer here, a middling team just waived him.

Pass.

An enforcer doesn't necessarily need to fight frequently to do their role. Players around the league know how tough he is.

Nope, just call up Leblond if you want an enforcer. No need to look outside the organization.

That leaves WBS with nothing. And, we all know about the loose cannons trying to make a name for themselves.

No goons unless they can play a bit.

McGrattan can play a bit.

No one currently on the fourth line could do that.

I don't think McGrattan is better than Adams. That's not to be interpreted as an endorsement of Adams; I just think McGrattan is really, really, really bad.

McGrattan seems to have fallen into Steve MacIntyre territory on top of that. Zero fights in camp. Zero in 8 games this season. I don't know how many players would go with him. He got 11 fights last year, but most of those guys are now either on Calgary or out of the NHL.

If he isn't fighting, he can't be on the ice, which is probably why he was waived.

Respectfully disagree, Billybudd. Mcgrattan won't hurt the team when he is on the ice. He cycles the puck well in the offensive zone. Has a nice hard wrist shot. Can hit hard as well. He is not going to be capable of killing penalties, but he's not expected to.

No. Why do we need threads like this?

Why is this a thread?

If you oppose this thread; why would you post in it? Just read it, and move along.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If the Flames are waiving a guy, in a division/conference that needs enforcers more than we do, that should say something about the usefulness of wasting a roster spot with a guy that just fights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad