Waived: Brian McGrattan (Calgary)

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
A player that Pittsburgh could use desperately. An enforcer that is the best fighter in the league. A better player than both Craig Adams and Zach Sill. A fourth-line of Blake Comeau, Marcel Goc, and Brian McGrattan would be a significant improvement. With Brandon Bollig on the team; McGrattan was put on waivers.

Last season he put up eight points in seventy-six games. Three points in nineteen games the previous season. Has gone pointless in eight games this season. McGrattan has always had a nice wrist shot and is strong around the boards. You want Crosby and Malkin to be given space? This move certainly couldn't hurt. He knows his role on the team. Very respected in the locker room. Was loved in Calgary. Surprised that he is even in this situation.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
He is a better player than Bobby Farnham. Straight up. For an enforcer; he is a pretty good player. Put up ten points in twenty games when he was on Syracuse. This guy is no sloutch. And, he has a reputation around the league.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
As a rule Brian Burke has the most appetite for goons that can't take a regular shift of anyone in professional hockey management. Brian Burke's team just waive this guy.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
He is a better player than Bobby Farnham. Straight up. For an enforcer; he is a pretty good player. Put up ten points in twenty games when he was on Syracuse. This guy is no sloutch. And, he has a reputation around the league.

Farnham has played in like 8 games and has drawn probably 8-10 penalties and literally has almost created 5 or 6 goals himself. If it were someone other than Adams/Goc finishing those opportunities, he'd probably have a few assists. I've got nothing against McGrattan, but he's doesn't have some of the tools Farnham has; most importantly speed and tenacity.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
When even Burke doesn't want you anymore, your career in the NHL was probably over 2 years ago.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Nope. Completely not needed. If he filled a need and had value, Calgary would not have traded him.

Now, if we want to do a McGrattan for Adams swap...then sure.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I don't think McGrattan is better than Adams. That's not to be interpreted as an endorsement of Adams; I just think McGrattan is really, really, really bad.

McGrattan seems to have fallen into Steve MacIntyre territory on top of that. Zero fights in camp. Zero in 8 games this season. I don't know how many players would go with him. He got 11 fights last year, but most of those guys are now either on Calgary or out of the NHL.

If he isn't fighting, he can't be on the ice, which is probably why he was waived.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Nope. Completely not needed. If he filled a need and had value, Calgary would not have traded him.

Now, if we want to do a McGrattan for Adams swap...then sure.

You know what, I wouldn't even do it. Adams can at least kill a penalty from time to time.

I'll stick with Adams and let him walk at season end.

LionelHutz*

youre_serious_futurama.gif

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
McGrattan has 1 fight in his last 38 games. ONE fight. What does it matter if he's the best fighter in the league if he isn't fighting? And if he isn't fighting, what purpose does he serve for a hockey team? Well you have your answer here, a middling team just waived him.

Pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad