Brian Leetch - Toronto Maple Leafs

Fearless Leaf*

For anyone who has watched Brian Leetch just prior to the lock-out with maple leafs, can anyone give the description of how well he played for the Leafs? Was he great or good or a disappointment?

I know he was already quite old at the time but his stats in the short stint look really impressive.

I really if the Lock-out didn't happen and Leetch stayed for an extra year, then we could have arguably won the cup with that 2004 roster.

Because I picture Leetch into my head, I think of him in a Leafs jersey. Just me personally.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
For anyone who has watched Brian Leetch just prior to the lock-out with maple leafs, can anyone give the description of how well he played for the Leafs? Was he great or good or a disappointment?

I know he was already quite old at the time but his stats in the short stint look really impressive.

I really if the Lock-out didn't happen and Leetch stayed for an extra year, then we could have arguably won the cup with that 2004 roster.

Because I picture Leetch into my head, I think of him in a Leafs jersey. Just me personally.

He was fine. And you had the opportunity to grab him back - he played with the Bruins after the lockout.

And I don't think TO had legit a shot at the Cup with or without him. Good team, but teams like Tampa and Philly were still around.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Leetch was awesome in his short stint in Toronto. Just an electric skater and really dynamic offensively even at that age.

Fearless Leaf*

He was fine. And you had the opportunity to grab him back - he played with the Bruins after the lockout.

And I don't think TO had legit a shot at the Cup with or without him. Good team, but teams like Tampa and Philly were still around.

I still remember that 2004 run against Philly. Only if Roenick didn't bend us over, we would have had a serious chance at grabbing the cup.

Fair enough though, Philly and Tampa were also great that year.

Fearless Leaf*

Leetch was awesome in his short stint in Toronto. Just an electric skater and really dynamic offensively even at that age.

15 points in 15 regular season games and 6 points in 13 play-off games is really something at that age as a defence-men.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
15 points in 15 regular season games and 6 points in 13 play-off games is really something at that age as a defence-men.

He was a fantastic talent. Top 25 defenseman of all-time. It's such a shame the Rangers managed to waste his early 30's.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
I still remember that 2004 run against Philly. Only if Roenick didn't bend us over, we would have had a serious chance at grabbing the cup.

Fair enough though, Philly and Tampa were also great that year.

What? The Leafs were lucky to be in that series.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The problem with the Leafs team before the lockout was that they brought in too many FAs and good ones at that but these guys didn't have the exhaust in the tank for a long playoff plus bad luck with injuries.

Stansfield*

The problem with the Leafs team before the lockout was that they brought in too many FAs and good ones at that but these guys didn't have the exhaust in the tank for a long playoff plus bad luck with injuries.

I'd say that they had too much exhaust and not enough gas.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

Not to mention Ottawa has Hasek in a non-Olympic year.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Leetch was one of my favourite players in the league before he was traded to the Leafs. What really surprised me after watching him play for the Leafs, was how good he was defensively. It's like he was twice as good as the next best defenceman on the team back then...even though he was considered past his prime.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Leetch was always good at rushing the puck right to the end of his career. He had 79 points in 2001 if that tells you anything. I always thought Leetch was the most dangerous American on Team USA when we faced them. I don't know what it was about him but he was always dangerous in my eyes and just knowing that he could jump into the play with the snap of a finger always left me uneasy. Even offensively Phil Housley didn't do that for me, I don't know why, but I just found Leetch more dangerous with the puck on his stick.

But yes, I was happy to see him as a Leaf and wish we kept him. More and more as time goes by I am nostalgic for that 2004 team. And to think, these were the days when we complained that we were "one player away from winning" and that "Sundin could never carry us". Boy, how much do we want a Sundin or Leetch now huh?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Leetch was fantastic with the puck on his stick. So much so that his defense tends to be just a tad underrated, IMO. That being said, Beukeboom gave him the opportunity to do his thing. Sometimes I wonder where Leetch would have ended up on the All-Time Defenseman list had Matt Johnson not suckered Beuke in '98. They were a match made in heaven.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
King Henrik has surpassed him imo.

Not a chance. Get some more hardware and a Conn Smythe on his shelf. Personally, I think it's an absolute travesty at how Leetch's tenure with the Rangers was wasted-in particular the last few years. Not to mention it was bush league the manner in which he was traded. A complete joke.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

What do you mean bad luck with injuries? Its not like Dougie had a career ending injury his first game back or anything...

:cry::cry:

Apr 1, 2010
Leetch was always good at rushing the puck right to the end of his career. He had 79 points in 2001 if that tells you anything. I always thought Leetch was the most dangerous American on Team USA when we faced them. I don't know what it was about him but he was always dangerous in my eyes and just knowing that he could jump into the play with the snap of a finger always left me uneasy. Even offensively Phil Housley didn't do that for me, I don't know why, but I just found Leetch more dangerous with the puck on his stick.

But yes, I was happy to see him as a Leaf and wish we kept him. More and more as time goes by I am nostalgic for that 2004 team. And to think, these were the days when we complained that we were "one player away from winning" and that "Sundin could never carry us". Boy, how much do we want a Sundin or Leetch now huh?

Ahhh the days of two dangerous scoring lines and solid goaltending. I think I'm gonna cry. :cry:

I totally agree about the US National teams. They had some great players but when Leetch grabbed the puck and headed up ice it was something different.

Apr 1, 2010
What do you mean bad luck with injuries? Its not like Dougie had a career ending injury his first game back or anything...

:cry::cry:

Ahhh the days of two dangerous scoring lines and solid goaltending. I think I'm gonna cry. :cry:

I totally agree about the US National teams. They had some great players but when Leetch grabbed the puck and headed up ice it was something different.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Can you tell it's been a rough time lately in Leafer Land?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad