Brian Lee

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
interesting throwback interview with Lee today on 1200. Makes you realize as fans how little we know about what is really happening. He had knee issues essentially from the get go and ended up having to walk away from the game as a young man because of it. my perspective was always he stunk and that he stunk himself out of the game because he stunk. listening to the interview he got the old "get out now or you may never walk properly" treatment in his mid 20s and he obviously felt the knees hampered his career. Anyway good story. God Kopitar woulda looked good though lol.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I actually thought Lee was playing his best defensive hockey when they traded him. He had finally learned to challenge the puck carrier by moving up on him inside his blue line and hitting him or steering him towards the boards instead of skating back almost to his net. The Sens took a shot at a more offensively minded D and that didn't work too well. Lee tried but couldn't fight for beans though (lol).

Reactions: DrEasy and Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
interesting throwback interview with Lee today on 1200. Makes you realize as fans how little we know about what is really happening. He had knee issues essentially from the get go and ended up having to walk away from the game as a young man because of it. my perspective was always he stunk and that he stunk himself out of the game because he stunk. listening to the interview he got the old "get out now or you may never walk properly" treatment in his mid 20s and he obviously felt the knees hampered his career. Anyway good story. God Kopitar woulda looked good though lol.
I mentioned this in the radio thread too, I liked him (after getting over passing on Kopitar) in his first year hear, and go figure, he lets out that the knee issues started halfway through his 2nd year here. Sucks for him, as it has lasting effects

Reactions: TheBradyBunch

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Yeah, I really liked him in his early years, just like I liked Cowen. Both declined due to injury (didn't know that about Lee, but I'm not surprised).

Very mobile offensively-minded defenseman but with a weak shot.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
i remember when we drafted him the question put to Muckler on the draft floor was ‘is he going to be ready to replace Chara or Redden in 2 years’ and Muckler said ‘he better be’......didn’t work out like that

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

So would T J Oshie

2005 NHL Re-Draft - NHL - DraftSite.com

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Don't like their re-draft much, should be more like this

Sidney Crosby
Anze Kopitar
Kristopher Letang
Marc-Edouard Vlasic
Carey Price
Tuukka Rask
Jonathan Quick
Paul Stastny
T.J. Oshie
Matt Niskanen
Bobby Ryan
James Neal
Niklas Hjalmarsson
Anton Stralman
Patric Hornqvist
Ben Bishop
Keith Yandle
Marc Staal
Jack Johnson
Andrew Cogliano

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Yeah, I really liked him in his early years, just like I liked Cowen. Both declined due to injury (didn't know that about Lee, but I'm not surprised).

Very mobile offensively-minded defenseman but with a weak shot.

Was his shot ever week. I almost forgot.

I don't know how a top 10 pick had such a bad shot. It was gomez-like. You see 15 year old kids with better shots.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I never liked Lee & did not want Ottawa to draft him, he was too soft & weak on the puck & got easily pushed around & knocked off the puck constantly. Never saw what Muckler & company saw in this guy. I wanted Kopitar, Neal or Stall, James Neal would have been great with Spezza & Alfredsson.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I never liked Lee & did not want Ottawa to draft him, he was too soft & weak on the puck & got easily pushed around & knocked off the puck constantly. Never saw what Muckler & company saw in this guy. I wanted Kopitar, Neal or Stall, James Neal would have been great with Spezza & Alfredsson.

Neal was a 2nd round pick, he wasn't considered at 9th overall...

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Ouch, that draft still hurts. I do remember that strategically speaking, selecting a player in the Redden mold was considered the right thing to begin focusing on. The future given the new league rules was to be away from size on the backend was in favour of skilled puck movers. It wasn’t really the wrong strategic type of pick, and many here I think still agree with that type of draft strategy, just an unfortunate particular player to pick.

Similar to the Redden Chara decision perhaps except that one i think was really focused on which would allow us to remain under the cap, like the havlat and hossa ones.

I wonder had we actually drafted Bishop, would we have also traded him before he became good? Maybe more often better to use a 2nd to trade for goalie when needed than to burn a pick on one and wait for him to develop?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad