Player Discussion Brian Gionta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Ask if he wants one more chance with a Cup contender, and is he does then trade him for a 2nd/3rd.

Depending on Baptiste/Bailey/Fasching, I wouldn't re-sign him unless it's a last minute deal for one year because injury leaves them short next Sep/Oct.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Ask if he wants one more chance with a Cup contender, and is he does then trade him for a 2nd/3rd.

Depending on Baptiste/Bailey/Fasching, I wouldn't re-sign him unless it's a last minute deal for one year because injury leaves them short next Sep/Oct.

Deadline trade? Or kept thru the season to walk

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I see these 7 on the roster next season for sure.
O'Reilly
Okposo
Kane
Carrier
Foligno
Eichel
Reinhart
That leaves 2 spots for the following:
Ennis
Girgensons
Larsson
Deslauriers
Then there are the kids that are sure to make a push:
Bailey
Baptiste
Fasching
Nylander

I see a trade coming.

But I see no reason to bring Gionta back with that amount of choices.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
It's up to Gio. Trade him if he wants to be traded. If he wants to stay on board for one more year, he's earned that IMO

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Does he have a NMC? If the sabres are out, I'd try and get a pick for him at the deadline.

If he sticks around? I'm not sure. It all depends on how the roster shakes out with the dead weight and/or extra parts at forward. There are quite a few guys that are part of the next wave: Nylander, Fasching, Baptiste and Baily that will need roster spots. There already is no room.

Ask again July 1.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I see these 7 on the roster next season for sure.
O'Reilly
Okposo
Kane
Carrier
Foligno
Eichel
Reinhart
That leaves 2 spots for the following:
Ennis
Girgensons
Larsson
Deslauriers
Then there are the kids that are sure to make a push:
Bailey
Baptiste
Fasching
Nylander

I see a trade coming.

But I see no reason to bring Gionta back with that amount of choices.

There are some tough choices for sure. Someone will be left exposed that will be a compelling pickup for LV. Could be Carrier.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Would love to see him stay in the organization and play on the Amerks. His NHL days are numbered. His brother wanted to play for the Amerks this year but the Sabres refused to sign him. Would be cool if both played in Rochester. Probably an unlikely situation though.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Hopefully see him retire. If he wants to chase Lord Stanley then help him find another spot. His choice though.

How I personally view his contributions on the ice at this time does not alter my opinon. Dude had to captain a total dumpster fire. He knew the score coming in and showed up to punch the clock. Historically bad and frustrating. Imagine how you feel about the club, then magnify that, then have to deal with media over how bad you suck. Forever.

Gio earned a little respect. Treat him right.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
There are some tough choices for sure. Someone will be left exposed that will be a compelling pickup for LV. Could be Carrier.

Eh, ROR, Okposo, Kane, Carrier, Foligno, Girgs, Larsson are the 7 protected forwards IMO, unless any of them get traded beforehand. Eichel/Reinhart are exempt, Moulson, Des, Ennis are exposed. The rest from the kids list are exempt. I don't see how you bring gionta back on whats likely a 1 or 2 year deal with NMC*, protect him, and leave Carrier, Foligno, Girgs, or Larsson exposed.

*because if I'm gionta, I don't sign a contract that could allow a LV exp draft claim when UFA is an option. Although I guess it depends on if a NMC on a contract extension can go into effect before the contract kicks in since the exp draft would be before his next contract would start. If he can't protect himself with a NMC on a contract extension maybe he decides he wants to go UFA anyways to make sure he doesn't end up in vegas. Could still then sign with us after the exp draft I guess.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010

I agree, tough choices.
I see Carrier's speed and, if he keeps his current play up, as a must protect.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Talk to him prior to deadline, if he wants to compete for a cup, talk to the top contenders and see if you could move him. If he wants to stay here, then don't move him. If he doesn't care what happens move him for an asset.

After this season, I would just let him walk if he stayed. At this point his role in the context of leadership and what was expected of him, from when he was brought here, has been improved upon with ROR. His impact on the ice, has been pretty average, which I think has more to do with his age than ability. He's been okay, but if I can get better, younger, and faster in his spot on the team at the same cost if not at the fraction of the cost, then I do it.

I like the guy, and he's done as well as I hoped, but now it's time to transition away from him and guys like him, and start looking at prospects who are ready to step in.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Somehow he leads the team in ES scoring.

Says volumes about our play at ES

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
He's a grown up, he knows how it works. If you can get assets for him, you have to do it. I don't think we owe Gionta anything.

Hmmm...I'm not so sure that would sit well in the locker room. Treat guys right in the proper situations and that can make a difference when you want to keep the right guys down the road.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
He's a grown up, he knows how it works. If you can get assets for him, you have to do it. I don't think we owe Gionta anything.

Agreed. The goal is to win a cup, not be a "family" organization. Try to move Gionta at the deadline. A 2nd or 3rd would be fantastic. And I don't want him back even at a reduced cost. He's nearing 40. I'd rather see Baptiste in his spot. And it's time we get our long term captain locked in be it Eichel or RoR.

I appreciate what Gionta has done but like Stokes said we don't owe him anything. This is a business first and foremost. I guess if we now owe our veterans something then we should be OK with Moulson and his cap hit, I mean he's been a good teammate and roomed with Jack. :sarcasm: it's not how it works. Gionta got overpaid dearly to captain the team for these 3 years. That's our appreciation, him getting several million more over these 3 years then what he would have gotten anywhere else.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Agreed. The goal is to win a cup, not be a "family" organization. Try to move Gionta at the deadline. A 2nd or 3rd would be fantastic. And I don't want him back even at a reduced cost. He's nearing 40. I'd rather see Baptiste in his spot. And it's time we get our long term captain locked in be it Eichel or RoR.

I appreciate what Gionta has done but like Stokes said we don't owe him anything. This is a business first and foremost. I guess if we now owe our veterans something then we should be OK with Moulson and his cap hit, I mean he's been a good teammate and roomed with Jack. :sarcasm: it's not how it works. Gionta got overpaid dearly to captain the team for these 3 years. That's our appreciation, him getting several million more over these 3 years then what he would have gotten anywhere else.

An attitude like these won't draw more free agents to Buffalo. Doing right by Gionta will go far in free agency.

You want Shattenkirk? Treat current players right and have a family atmosphere. The reputation of the Sabres with players around the league isn't worth trading Gionta against his will for some mid round picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad