Brian Gionta - Stay or Go

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
LOVE THE GUY, but we need to move on. There's no way MB is blind to the fact that we're far too small. Gionta is 5'7 and a UFA.... he's the easiest way to start getting bigger. DD is harder to move and unless we find a suitor for Briere, he'll probably be here for 1 more year.

It's simple, build around the following:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - XXXXX

XXXXX - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Prust - Eller - XXXXX

Moen - Bournival - XXXXX

Gorges - Subban

Markov - XXXXX

Emelin - XXXXX

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I wouldn't mind him as a 3rd line defensive winger for 2,5m/y if Brière or Desharnais wouldn't be on the team.

So, no.

ditto

Gio can't be in our top 6 if he's coming back then one has to ask if his leadership is worth having a small 'ok' defensive winger still making some decent coin in the lineup vs a guy like Bournival or Leblanc

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Hit the road, Gio, and don't you come back no more, no more, no more ...

No matter what happens, you'll own the best mouthguard twirling skills I have ever seen. :sarcasm:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I think some are underestimating the chances he returns. I'm no gio fan by any means but I consider dropping bourque and keeping gointa a bigger win than dropping gointa and keeping bourque. Of course I don't want gointa to be a first liner for us anymore. Role player who can pk and play any situation really but rather him far from 1st option.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
LOVE THE GUY, but we need to move on. There's no way MB is blind to the fact that we're far too small. Gionta is 5'7 and a UFA.... he's the easiest way to start getting bigger. DD is harder to move and unless we find a suitor for Briere, he'll probably be here for 1 more year.

It's simple, build around the following:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - XXXXX

XXXXX - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Prust - Eller - XXXXX

Moen - Bournival - XXXXX

Gorges - Subban

Markov - XXXXX

Emelin - XXXXX

Wow, I think some of us fans don't realize how good of a fundation we can count on to build this team. Add Price to the mix and we have every pieces a contender need.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
A great warrior, he made a fine career for himself, especially for a player that is only 5'7. I have all of the respect for him but he no longer has the ability to maintain a spot on this team. I predict he ends up by in Jersey playing with his brother.

King Niinimaa*

I've been waiting for this moment aaall m...five years. Finally the last piece of Gainey's franchise sinking **** for brains puzzle will be gone.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Should I cool it or do l blow.

I think this question should focus on whether he should stay or go before the trade deadline. Pretty sure this is his last season with the Habs.

I was thinking about that yesterday.....he really is playing well defensively, and he usually is clutch offensively come playoff time..been doing a lot of the little things well that doesn't bring him much glory but helps the team win games. I'm starting to think that Bergy won't deal him for a pick..if he's dealt it will likely be in an attempt to get better (bigger) now, not just obtain an asset for the future. The east is open this season, and given the way Price is playing the Habs "might" go on a bit of a playoff run if the stars are aligned.

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
I hope Gionta stays just because with our luck, Bergevin will go out and sign Gerbe to replace him.

Or an actual legitimate midget.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
If Gio wants to come back,he'll be back..If he don't then he will walk ..plain and simple...

Of course not at any price....but at 35 heading for 36 the guy still putting up points 45 pts a year.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I think Gionta will be sorely missed if our hopes is to fill his spot with some AHL filler, if we can replace him with someone outside of the org, I'm all for that. I feel we've backed ourselves into a corner here with our salary structure anyways, and it's unlikely we could keep him even if we wanted too.

QuickWrister

Nov 25, 2013
London, ON
What?? Useful player! We're just using him wrong. Well the whole team for that matter.

Stay. Less Money, less ice-time. We need a better roster no doubt but he's still a good player and a likeable dude!

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
I think Gionta has generally been good to the habs: he was a good captain and he steadily scored around 25-30 goals a year. But as many stated, we definitely need to get bigger, and perhaps this year we have the financial means to afford a good and bigger player to replace him.

I'd say he has to go, but I will never be as extreme as some others who would throw him as far as away as possible. He was a good member of our team, just not what we needed considering the other small/less physical players we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad