Brian Gionta - Stay or Go

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
I know this has been already discussed on here but I wanna know how Habs fans feel about Gionta right now (48 games into the season should be enough to be able to pass judgement on him). Personally I think Bergevin should NOT resign Gionta by any means. We have other guys that can take up the role as captain so that shouldn't be the problem. The real problem is that his play has regressed tremendously even though he can be affective in some areas on the ice. He will continue to regress in the years to come so I don't think it would be a good idea to give him another contract unless it's a really short one and where he plays a less important offensive role. BUT knowing Therrien I don't think this will happen so it's better off Bergevin finds a bigger and younger replacement.

So should he stay or go this summer ?

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013
If we sign Jagr, I dunno why we would need him for $5mil. Gio has plenty of chemistry with Pleks but Jagr is a Czech... sooo...

Plus we will probably lose both Gio and Markov... if Berg was urgent with Markov he would've signed him by now. Its time for Markov to go, he's great on the PP and plays like Ryan Suter (doesn't score much but has sharp passing skills and instincts that click) but it seems like hes gona walk (no way he's being traded when we need defense depth for playoffs)

and then our team would ditch the 3 scoring line thing. we should have 2 good scoring lines, 1 defensive scoring line, and 1 checking line.. it could look like this in the off season:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Bournival - Plekanec - Jagr
Prust - Eller - Bourque
Moen - Nattinen - White/Parros

Briere and DD would be traded.

D would look like:

Niskanen - Subban
Girardi - Emelin
Gorges - Beaulieu

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Depends alternatives.

In an ideal world we get a legit top 6 player to play with Plekanec and if we can drop Bourque and/or Briere that would be good. As much as gionta has regressed he's still better than the other two so with that logic, if we can remove them I would be open to keeping him for RIGHT price. Otherwise? No. Gionta is still a useful player in the right role but when you have other guys already less than ideal I'd rather not. If you drop gionta to 3rd line role and PK time for 2-3 mil on 1-2 year deal while getting rid of bourque/briere/both then that's pretty money to me.

Quick Example:

Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Vanek/Gaborik
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Leblanc-Eller-Gionta
Prust-Bournival-Moen
White

CH25

Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
If we sign Jagr, I dunno why we would need him for $5mil. Gio has plenty of chemistry with Pleks but Jagr is a Czech... sooo...

Plus we will probably lose both Gio and Markov... if Berg was urgent with Markov he would've signed him by now. Its time for Markov to go, he's great on the PP and plays like Ryan Suter (doesn't score much but has sharp passing skills and instincts that click) but it seems like hes gona walk (no way he's being traded when we need defense depth for playoffs)

and then our team would ditch the 3 scoring line thing. we should have 2 good scoring lines, 1 defensive scoring line, and 1 checking line.. it could look like this in the off season:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher
Prust - Galchenyuk - Bourque
Moen - Eller - Nattinen

Briere would be traded.

D would look like:

Niskanen - Subban
Girardi - Emelin
Gorges - Beaulieu

Do you really trust Bergevin to do anything major like this ? Also I'd much rather keep Briere than Bourque. Bourque is just really horrible even if he's bigger.

Ubercron9000*

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Prust - Eller - Bourque
Moen - Nattinen - White/Parros

Briere and DD would be traded.

D would look like:

Niskanen - Subban
Girardi - Emelin
Gorges - Beaulieu
If we let go of markov our defense will be extremely weak. Unless we can get an alternative through trade.

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013
I think Gio will walk but more importantly, I want some centers gone.

Just one thing I ask for this team to do is to put players in their natural position like the hawks do.

We just need 4 centers, 5 is pushing it, we dont need 8 so that we can put 4 on the wing and then it becomes a pass-fest. If we had the best free-agency show we could have this year, our roster would look like this (after trading DD and Briere):

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Jagr (Our best scorer with our best center and the Czech chemistry)
Marleau - Galchenyuk - Gallagher (Marleau is a prototype Hab, quick skater, can score)
Bournival - Eller - Bourque (our defensive scoring line? Eller and Bourque can use their bodies and Bournival can score)
Prust - White - Moen

Niskanen - Subban (Niskanen has insane +/-. perfect replacement for Markov)
Nikitin - Emelin (Russian chemistry, Nikitin currently has good +/- while playing for Columbus)
Gorges - Beaulieu
Tinordi

CH25

Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
I think Gio will walk but more importantly, I want some centers gone.

Just one thing I ask for this team to do is to put players in their natural position like the hawks do.

We just need 4 centers, 5 is pushing it, we dont need 8 so that we can put 4 on the wing and then it becomes a pass-fest. If we had the best free-agency show we could have this year, our roster would look like this (after trading DD and Briere):

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Jagr (Our best scorer with our best center and the Czech chemistry)
Marleau - Galchenyuk - Gallagher (Marleau is a prototype Hab, quick skater, can score)
Bournival - Eller - Bourque (our defensive scoring line? Eller and Bourque can use their bodies and Bournival can score)
Prust - White - Moen

Niskanen - Subban (Niskanen has insane +/-. perfect replacement for Markov)
Nikitin - Emelin (Russian chemistry, Nikitin currently has good +/- while playing for Columbus)
Gorges - Beaulieu
Tinordi

I have zero confidence in Bergevin to sign 1 legitimate free agent. 4 is never gonna happen. Although if Markov is dealt (which I doubt) Niskanen would be a good replacement even though I think his value and salary is going up next year. Will be hard to sign him.

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Under no circumstances should Gionta be re-signed....not for $2 per, not for anything.

It's just time to move on....Habs can get someone bigger and younger and surely just as productive on the UFA market.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Thanks for the help Brian, but we're moving in another direction and you're not in our plans anymore. Good luck in Jersey.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Go, go far far away Brian. Please, for the love of everything holy, go.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
I wouldn't mind him as a 3rd line defensive winger for 2,5m/y if Brière or Desharnais wouldn't be on the team.

So, no.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Enuff. Thanks man. Was fun...okay maybe not THAT fun. But you were serviceable.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Honest player, give it all!!

But, IMO, he needs to go because of the buiding of the team, but he absolutely need to be replace.....so far, we don't have his replacements and we don't have any back-up RW with size. That's a problem.

But still need to go, he's the captain of Martin/Gauthier, he was one of the poster boy of this era...if MB/MT want to put their stamps on this team, that would be a great start

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad