Brian Gionta (negotiations w/Habs are underway)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Sounds exactly like what I said. Keep working the agenda.

In your assessment of Gio you wrote zero about the size issue, which strongly suggests you don't think it matters. So yeah while that opinion may reflect the Habs lineup it is out of whack with how the other 29 NHL teams are managing their rosters.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
That was 4 years ago. Gionta is now 35. He is not underappreciated. He will barely do 40 points this season despite playing 18 minutes every game. AK got critized a lot more for similar seasons offensively speaking. It's not like Gionta is selke material. He is okay defensively but he needs to do more offensively to be useful at the salary he has. Right now when he is on the ice the CH is mostly always stuck in his own zone.

Well the year after he had 5pts in 7 games, then the season after he got injured and we proceeded to the worst season in a very long time and missed the playoffs. Then the playoffs after he was injured but still put 1pt in 2 games.

21pts in 28 games over 4 years. Led the team in goals scored during the regular season twice, and is 4th this year (Not counting Vanek). Looks like pretty decent numbers to me considering he's on the main shutdown line.

Maybe his line gets outshot because they start in the defensive zone more than 60% of the time.

I don't think anyone wants him back at 5m but there's a big difference between not wanting him back and not wanting to pay a premium for his services.

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
not sure if this had been mentioned or not but

http://www.hockey30.com/nouvelles/g...nde-et-un-espoir-bergevin-aurait-dit-non-aux/

According to Jimmy Murphy (Reporter) NJ offered a 2nd and a prospect for Gionta and Bergevin turned them down!

If this is true Bergevin should be fired

Making that trade would have a meant Montreal making out like bandits in the trade deadline!

Getting Vanek and a 5th for Gionta....LOL

IF Montreal resigns Gionta...Holly **** Batman!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
not sure if this had been mentioned or not but

http://www.hockey30.com/nouvelles/g...nde-et-un-espoir-bergevin-aurait-dit-non-aux/

According to Jimmy Murphy (Reporter) NJ offered a 2nd and a prospect for Gionta and Bergevin turned them down!

If this is true Bergevin should be fired

Making that trade would have a meant Montreal making out like bandits in the trade deadline!

Getting Vanek and a 5th for Gionta....LOL

IF Montreal resigns Gionta...Holly **** Batman!

I went straight to the source, as Hockey30 is typically frowned upon.

From Jimmy Murphy's XN column:

Heading into the deadline it was suggested here that the Devils try to pry away former Devil and unrestricted free agent to be Brian Gionta from Montreal and it was confirmed to Murph’s Musings on Sunday that did indeed happen. According to one source close to the negotiations, the Devils offered a prospect and a second round pick but were told the Habs captain wasn’t available as the deadline grew closer even though he was last month before the Canadiens began to play better heading into the Olympic break.

I'm not familiar with Murphy's writing, however, the source being alluded to seems to be well-placed even if it is un-named. Looking further, Murphy seems to have a credible resume in the hockey world:

James Murphy is a freelance reporter who also writes for NHL.com. He covered the Boston Bruins/NHL for last 11 seasons writing for ESPNBoston.com, ESPN.com, NHL.com, NESN.com, Insidehockey.com and Le Hockey Magazine. Murphy also currently hosts “Murphy’s Hockey Law†(Saturdays 9-11 AM ET on Sirius/XM NHL Network Radio and 4-6 PM ET on Websportsmedia.com. He is also a regular guest TSN 690 in Montreal and Sirius/XM NHL Network Radio.

habs999

Jan 19, 2014
The goal is to get bigger not stay small. Gionta is at best a third liner there are plenty of big third liners that are just as good as Gionta if not better. I hate seeing him on the second line with Plekanec and Vanek, wasting their potential IMO...

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
The goal is to get bigger not stay small. Gionta is at best a third liner there are plenty of big third liners that are just as good as Gionta if not better. I hate seeing him on the second line with Plekanec and Vanek, wasting their potential IMO...

That's what I thought but 1) Gomez out and Briere in; 2) Gorges out and Weaver in . . .

If the rumor that NJ offered a 2nd & prospect for Gio is true it's too bad MB declined. Effectively this means we are renting Gio for about the same price as we paid for Vanek.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Hopefully not, his defensive ability is overrated from being stapled to Plekanec. He has not been shown as someone that can be mixed and matched onto different lines. There really shouldn't be any reason to bring him back. But hey, if Habs were willing to signed an older Briere to 2 year contract...Gionta likely will be back in the top 6 next season.

Habs already have a lot of non-versatility in the top 9, no need for more forced lines.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I guess Bergevin like the '' character'' in Brian. Like I said, I think he should be gone if we re-sign I better hope its for bottom 6 duties

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
In your assessment of Gio you wrote zero about the size issue, which strongly suggests you don't think it matters. So yeah while that opinion may reflect the Habs lineup it is out of whack with how the other 29 NHL teams are managing their rosters.

Just because I didn't write my opinion on ANOTHER subject, doesn't mean you're free to assume it as you wish.

We have a size issue but Gionta is still better than Bourque despite being smaller.

The reason we want to get bigger is so we can perform better as ES I'd imagine rather than relying on a PP with small skilled players. I brought up one guy who despite his size has very good ES numbers.

In my opinion people often forget the objective and skip towards the perceived solution.

The goal is to become a better team, one suggestion is to get bigger players who will make us better. On Hfboards we have decided to forget the goal of becoming a better team, skip towards the solution and then cut it down to "we need to get bigger". The goal always remains to get better. In my opinion, Bourque and another big guy addresses the size issue, but does it make us a better team? Remember the end goal, to become better and Gionta's ES numbers are part of the solution, not the problem.

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Just because I didn't write my opinion on ANOTHER subject, doesn't mean you're free to assume it as you wish.

We have a size issue but Gionta is still better than Bourque despite being smaller.

The reason we want to get bigger is so we can perform better as ES I'd imagine rather than relying on a PP with small skilled players. I brought up one guy who despite his size has very good ES numbers.

In my opinion people often forget the objective and skip towards the perceived solution.

The goal is to become a better team, one suggestion is to get bigger players who will make us better. On Hfboards we have decided to forget the goal of becoming a better team, skip towards the solution and then cut it down to "we need to get bigger". The goal always remains to get better. In my opinion, Bourque and another big guy addresses the size issue, but does it make us a better team? Remember the end goal, to become better and Gionta's ES numbers are part of the solution, not the problem.

The problem is Gionta is somehow nailed to Plekanec's hip by Therrien. Gionta has not been relegated to being a 3rd line winger (which he should be, especially now). He has no shot, he's a black hole offensively, and he just can't read the skill of high level players. The majority of his goals now come from the side of the net or scrambles.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005

I think a big disconnect in your posts about DD and Gionta is assessing players individually instead of looking at the the big picture, ie the team and the league.

The entire Western Conference has ONE player who is 5'9" or shorter out of 322 players. 1/322. Less than one-third of one percent of the Western Con players are that friggin tiny.

Meanwhile the Habs have FIVE such players. That's 22% of our roster. And most of our top-six forwards. This is a physical limitation that impacts what our squad can and cannot do on the ice.

Maybe the skill level of our midgets is good. But other teams don't want them, that's the message. No other team has built such a small roster. So any arguments about a small player's skill making up for his size to the degree that size does not matter, arguments to that effect are not endorsed by the rest of professional hockey.

If some of us here want Gio gone next year it is not because we want a crap big guy. No one is suggesting that would be a good idea. And arguing that we should keep Gio because he's "better" than out worst big guy (Bourque) is similarly flawed reasoning.

Of course if Gio skates through Chara's legs and scores the Game 7 GWG in May I'll admit that the smurf strategy is genius and I was wrong. ;)

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
A 2nd + prospect for Brian Gionta.... We basically would have traded Gionta for Vanek....

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
A 2nd + prospect for Brian Gionta.... We basically would have traded Gionta for Vanek....

Who plays right wing then? It'd be Gallagher and... ummm... Weise? We'd pretty much be trading Gionta for Bourque because he'd never leave the lineup if there was no Gionta.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think a big disconnect in your posts about DD and Gionta is assessing players individually instead of looking at the the big picture, ie the team and the league.

The entire Western Conference has ONE player who is 5'9" or shorter out of 322 players. 1/322. Less than one-third of one percent of the Western Con players are that friggin tiny.

Meanwhile the Habs have FIVE such players. That's 22% of our roster. And most of our top-six forwards. This is a physical limitation that impacts what our squad can and cannot do on the ice.

Maybe the skill level of our midgets is good. But other teams don't want them, that's the message. No other team has built such a small roster. So any arguments about a small player's skill making up for his size to the degree that size does not matter, arguments to that effect are not endorsed by the rest of professional hockey.

If some of us here want Gio gone next year it is not because we want a crap big guy. No one is suggesting that would be a good idea. And arguing that we should keep Gio because he's "better" than out worst big guy (Bourque) is similarly flawed reasoning.

Of course if Gio skates through Chara's legs and scores the Game 7 GWG in May I'll admit that the smurf strategy is genius and I was wrong. ;)

I agree the Habs need to get bigger, however the whole "Western conference is big" thing is overblow.

Anaheim has Cogliano, Koivu, Perreault, Palmieri, Vatanen who are all 5'10" and play regular minutes.

Chicago has Kane Shaw Leddy Kruger Oduya are well below average size.

Colorado has Duchene Parenteau Tanguay Benoit Talbot Barrie who are below average size players, all sub 6' or below 200lbs.

The Blues similarly have Oshie, Schwartz Roy and Sobotka are all below average sized regulars.

I think on the Habs if you let Gionta Briere and Bouillon walk and replace them with average or bigger players then it becomes a non issue. Bouillon has barely dressed the last 3 months so on defense it's not an issue, most nights Mrakov at 6' 207 or Gorges at 6'1" 203lbs are the smallest guys with behemoths like Murray and Tinordi there.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
I agree the Habs need to get bigger, however the whole "Western conference is big" thing is overblow.

Anaheim has Cogliano, Koivu, Perreault, Palmieri, Vatanen who are all 5'10" and play regular minutes.

Chicago has Kane Shaw Leddy Kruger Oduya are well below average size.

Colorado has Duchene Parenteau Tanguay Benoit Talbot Barrie who are below average size players, all sub 6' or below 200lbs.

The Blues similarly have Oshie, Schwartz Roy and Sobotka are all below average sized regulars.

I think on the Habs if you let Gionta Briere and Bouillon walk and replace them with average or bigger players then it becomes a non issue. Bouillon has barely dressed the last 3 months so on defense it's not an issue, most nights Mrakov at 6' 207 or Gorges at 6'1" 203lbs are the smallest guys with behemoths like Murray and Tinordi there.

Of course some other teams have some below-average-sized players -- but no NHL team has the number of players with the degree of smallness that the Habs do. Not even close. Tonight vs Boston we'll have SIX skaters who are 5'9" or shorter. I would guess that's an NHL record.

Back on topic I'm glad we agree letting Gionta walk would be a good thing, even though he's still got some skills looking at the big picture he's just not a good fit for our squad.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
13-14

--------GP--G--A---P
Ryder: 65--16-13-29
Briere: 53--11-10-21

Like I said it didn't work out, we lost a top-6 player and gained a top-9 player. That's a 30% loss in production for the player. Plus it's a potential reason our PP has suffered.

And it costs us more money.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Who plays right wing then? It'd be Gallagher and... ummm... Weise? We'd pretty much be trading Gionta for Bourque because he'd never leave the lineup if there was no Gionta.

Who cares? We can put Prust on the right of Plekanec for all I care. It's not like all the players on our roster are playing on their natural positions. Or you can just call up Andrighetto.. the kid is NHL ready and is a RW as well.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Who cares? We can put Prust on the right of Plekanec for all I care. It's not like all the players on our roster are playing on their natural positions. Or you can just call up Andrighetto.. the kid is NHL ready and is a RW as well.

Just don't expect to win hockey games then, that's all.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005

You joke but Weise at least can play a role he's fast and physical. Because Plex & Vanek are finesse players maybe he could complement them effectively, make some hits, open up some ice? His hands are not bad actually this season Weise has more 5-on-5 pts/60m than any Hab other than Briere.

On RW beside Vanek and Plex, what does Gionta bring that puts him ahead of Weise ?

Oct 22, 2012

Andrighetto is good, but he is still quite raw. He is not ready yet. Prust is a 4th liner who can fill in on the third when called upon, not top 6. If we do that, we don't make the playoffs, and its evident that the only goal this year is to make the playoffs. The point remains, there were no viable options to fill Gio's role.

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Brian Gionta is horrendously underrated on here...

I don't get the concept of trading your captain in a year where you're poised to make a pretty decent run for a pick and a prospect. Montreal wasn't looking to sell at the deadline.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM

I don't get the concept of trading your captain in a year where you're poised to make a pretty decent run for a pick and a prospect. Montreal wasn't looking to sell at the deadline.

I'll check back with you after the "pretty decent playoff run."

It may happen, but not if Therrien keeps making bonehead personnel decisions...

shamrun

Jun 5, 2008
vancouver

He is not being underrated. If anything Therrien is overrating him. I think Gionta would be better suited on the third line. Better for him and better for the team. That's just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia