Brian Gibbons

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
A real big surprise. Shero has been freaking good since he took over from Lou, such a nice story for the surprise team of the NHL this year nearing the 20 game mark.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Gibbons had 22 points in 66 NHL games before this season, so it's not like he has never produced some points (although not at this level). For whatever reason, a guy with his speed and skill could never stick with an NHL roster, but he's gotten the chance here and made the most of it.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He's playing WAY over his head right now and nowhere near as good as he has been, although his shot is actually pretty good. They're not fluky goals going in off his shin pad or hand or wristers from beyond the circle, like Bobby Farnham was doing a couple years ago.

He played 66 career games before this year and scored 22 points in those 66 games, so it's not like he was a complete and total scrub. He was actually decent for what he was, in limited ice time prior to this season.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
A real big surprise. Shero has been freaking good since he took over from Lou, such a nice story for the surprise team of the NHL this year nearing the 20 game mark.
Yeah but he also lost that trade to Edmonton tho.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
He's playing WAY over his head right now and nowhere near as good as he has been, although his shot is actually pretty good. They're not fluky goals going in off his shin pad or hand or wristers from beyond the circle, like Bobby Farnham was doing a couple years ago.

He played 66 career games before this year and scored 22 points in those 66 games, so it's not like he was a complete and total scrub. He was actually decent for what he was, in limited ice time prior to this season.
He is so good on the Penalty Kill at intercepting the pass along the blue line in the defensive zone. I bet he has had 6 or 7 short handed breakaways this year already. To think he cleared waivers when the season started too...

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He is so good on the Penalty Kill at intercepting the pass along the blue line in the defensive zone. I bet he has had 6 or 7 short handed breakaways this year already. To think he cleared waivers when the season started too...
Did he clear waivers? I thought we kept him up the entire time? Maybe not, I forget.

He's a 29 year old that only played 66 NHL games before this year, and they were 2-4 years ago, so I would have expected him to clear before this season.

He's actually a pretty decent all-around player. He's a lot better than some of the dreadful dreck that we had in previous seasons, like Sergey Kalinin and names I don't even wanna type. I'd like to just forget about them.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Could he be the next Patrick Eaves?

Spent most of his career on the 4th line then in his 30s developed into a top 6 winger.

Gibbons shot is very good plus he has speed to boot

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
8 goals already, leading the Devils. How good is he? How many goals will he finish with?

He's probably this year's Marchessault at best. Gibbons was solid when he was with the Penguins, always liked his speed, but it was when obstruction was worse and with the league more focused on speed, fringe guys like him finally have a way to make it up to the NHL ranks and stick. Gibbons always worked hard, had the speed and a fairly solid nose for the net. Makes sense Shero goes after him again and he plays for Hynes again.

It's actually funny, Brian Gibbons has never played for a coach that wasn't an ex-WBS coach in the NHL.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
He for sure didnt look this good when he was on Crosbys wing. Suprised he even got another shot with that level of play he showed, good for him and the devils though.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Did he clear waivers? I thought we kept him up the entire time? Maybe not, I forget.

He's a 29 year old that only played 66 NHL games before this year, and they were 2-4 years ago, so I would have expected him to clear before this season.

He's actually a pretty decent all-around player. He's a lot better than some of the dreadful dreck that we had in previous seasons, like Sergey Kalinin and names I don't even wanna type. I'd like to just forget about them.
Ya, we waived him after pre season and than after he cleared put him on the opening night roster. He shows real skill in all facets of the game. It really is baffling where it came from.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
He is slotted on the 4th line so he won’t be getting a ton of minutes and that is why his goal total will come back down to Earth. But goald aside, Gibbons has been excellent in every aspect of the game. He is a reliable forward and that is what we need since we have defensive woes.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The goal total itself is flukey, but he's always been an effective player that would easily be a career NHL'er if he wasn't 5'8".

It's nice to see him finally getting a fair chance.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He’s been a very versatile hard working player. That won’t change. Shooting percentage will fall but it’s not hard to see him scoring another 10-12 goals over the rest of the season. Depending upon how NJ’s season shakes out wouldn’t be surprised if a team offers a 3rd and low round pick for him if he continues to stay healthy and play with similar effort.

Csonked Out

Mar 20, 2007
Bismarck, ND
He is now up to 10 goals and 14 points in his first 21 games with us. I mean, where the heck did he come from even. The guy had 5 goals in his first 66 games and turns 30 this coming February. He is an absolute force on the PK with his speed and his goals aren't of the fluky nature either. We are a 4th of the way through the season and he might get himself 25-30 goals. How this guy passed through waivers after the preseason was over is beyond me. Just a fun player to watch on the ice.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Seriously, who does this guy think he is? Wins it in OT tonight on his 11th goal of the season. He does everything right, can play in any situation, responsible, good hands, great shot, good speed and he is doing this all with only 4th line ice time.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield
He's such an awesome feel good story. So happy for him, and obviously as a Devils fan I hope this continues.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
He's got good foot speed, and he's got a good shot. A lot of his goals have been total snipe jobs. It's certainly hard to explain, but this isn't anything similar to what DSP did for the Devils 2 seasons ago. Gibbons's goals have all been legit goals.

MoonDragn

Mar 28, 2007
Maryland
He has very good hands, good speed I think he has finally put it all together with Hines stressing working on skills.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
The goal total itself is flukey, but he's always been an effective player that would easily be a career NHL'er if he wasn't 5'8".

It's nice to see him finally getting a fair chance.

Agreed.

I used to say that if you put Gibbons' brain in Jayson Megna's body you'd have a hell of a player.

Reactions: Machinehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad