Brian Ferlin

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
What's the scouting report on this kid? Anybody think he has a shot at making the big roster?

Read a little on him saying he plays a gritty game with power forward upside.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
From Kirk Luedeke, New England Hockey Journal:

Cornell junior, B's prospect Ferlin builds momentum

“It’s a different world in terms of how you prepare,†he said of D1 hockey in the NCAA compared to what he grew up with in Florida. “As you go up in the levels, you have better coaches, better systems. There’s a lot more you have to do in terms of stretching, conditioning, nutrition and just taking care of yourself year round.

“Hockey sense and awareness is something I’ve definitely gained more of by working with top coaches like Coach Schafer and what he’s taught me about breaking down video and becoming a better player defensively. I think that when I was in the USHL, I was running around a lot and didn’t really know where I needed to be on the ice. Entering my third year here, I have a much better understanding of the game and the different aspects that you have to bring on every shift.â€

The 21-year-old’s progress has steadily been trending upward despite a tough start a year ago that saw him struggle to find the back of the net at the beginning of the year. By mid-season, Ferlin picked up the offensive production and managed to finish the year with a slight increase in his numbers overall. Now, looking ahead to 2013-14, Ferlin knows that it will be important to be even more consistent up front for Cornell, especially with the graduation of leading scorer Greg Miller.

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/Cornell_junior-_B-s_prospect_Ferlin_builds_momentum

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
What's the scouting report on this kid? Anybody think he has a shot at making the big roster?

Read a little on him saying he plays a gritty game with power forward upside.

He's a solid player that plays an honest 2 way game,
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=123314
He was 212 at last years camp

Upside for me.. think a more consistent Jordan Caron, is physical but more restrained but better hands,better skater and hockey sense, he's a legit prospect ,You'll see him in Boston at least once this season

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
From Kirk Luedeke, New England Hockey Journal:

Cornell junior, B's prospect Ferlin builds momentum

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/Cornell_junior-_B-s_prospect_Ferlin_builds_momentum

That's a great write up and it expands on a lot of the things I was going to touch on...

To me, he's got a Mike Knuble quality to him. He seems to be able to adapt and elevate his play based on the talent and skill set of his line mates. Knuble seemed like a run of the mill 3rd liner until you put him with skill players, then you started to see him do things like set picks and find quiet areas to get open for shots that he didn't showcase when he played with bottom 6'ers. I think Ferlin has some of that, he's smart, and I think those smarts allow him to read skill players and elevate his offensive game when he's paired with them.

As far as his chances of making the team, I'd put him in the dark horse category. IMO, Fraser, Florek and Spooner are the favorites, Koko and Ferlin are the dark horses, and guys like Knight and Cunningham are the long-shots.

It's possible he could pull a Blake Wheeler, but I think a more reasonable expectation for him is to go to Providence and learn the pro game. Hopefully he and Knight will be the top6 RW's there and get plenty of ice in all situations, and have healthy, productive seasons, maybe even earn a call-up here or there and get their feet wet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad