Confirmed with Link: Brian Dumoulin Re-Signs (2 years/800K AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
Can't wait to see him in the press box every night while Scuderi-Lovejoy is our 3rd pair.

Except it will be Scuderi-Cole with Lovejoy in the top 4. Scuderi-Lovejoy is too immobile, slow, and terrible with puck and offensively.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Except it will be Scuderi-Cole with Lovejoy in the top 4. Scuderi-Lovejoy is too immobile, slow, and terrible with puck and offensively.

I don't know if I like Pouliot-Lovejoy and better :laugh:

I guess Pouliot will start on the third pair?

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Think that's a haircut. Great deal either way.

I'm pretty sure it's a one-way deal, since the Pens usually mention if it's a two-way. So for Dumoulin, it's a guaranteed raise over what he's actually been making the last few years.

Good deal for both sides in the end. The Pens get him locked up at a rate lower than his QO, and Dumoulin gets guaranteed money.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hopefully he sees regular ice time. That will only happen if JR finally dumps Scuderi, though. Otherwise, Dumoulin and Pouliot will be taking turns as the 6th/7th guys.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Who do people believe a guy who played the 2nd most minutes on our defense last playoffs, and played well with those minutes, is slotted onto the 3rd pair?

Unless the team is intent on keeping Scuderi and Cole is the best babysitter for him (a la Despres), or believe that Pouliot's going to take a huge leap in development, I don't see it happening.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'm pretty sure it's a one-way deal, since the Pens usually mention if it's a two-way. So for Dumoulin, it's a guaranteed raise over what he's actually been making the last few years.

Good deal for both sides in the end. The Pens get him locked up at a rate lower than his QO, and Dumoulin gets guaranteed money.

That's true. Now all they need to do is actually play the guy. Dumoulin has shown jitters in NHL action before. That can lead to goals against, but it's also something that almost always goes away with more time on the ice.

Who do people believe a guy who played the 2nd most minutes on our defense last playoffs, and played well with those minutes, is slotted onto the 3rd pair?

Unless the team is intent on keeping Scuderi and Cole is the best babysitter for him (a la Despres), or believe that Pouliot's going to take a huge leap in development, I don't see it happening.

Bad as he was for us, Lovejoy seems like the most-logical partner for Pouliot on paper. If DP's on our second pairing (which I'm not positive I would do), it could be argued that that puts Cole on the third.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Poking around on HockeysCap, I realized the Pens now have 6 defensemen on one-way contracts, plus Maatta and Pouliot:
Letang, Cole, Dumoulin, Lovejoy, Scuderi and Erixon (the Leafs signed him to a one-way deal not all that long before he was a part of the Kessel trade).

Given that Rutherford was willing and able to send Zatkoff down despite being on a one-way deal, I'm not sure it will mean all that much, but it's still interesting. I can only hope it will mean that they'll find a way to unload Scuderi, though... (yeah, yeah, I know, it's unlikely, but I can keep dreaming, at least for now!)

ibar726

Aug 6, 2013
Hopefully he sees regular ice time. That will only happen if JR finally dumps Scuderi, though. Otherwise, Dumoulin and Pouliot will be taking turns as the 6th/7th guys.
Except this is the Penguins we are talking about...odds of them going more than an month without at least one quality defenseman being injured seem unfathomably low. So yeah significant ice time is pretty much guaranteed for their #7.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Bad as he was for us, Lovejoy seems like the most-logical partner for Pouliot on paper. If DP's on our second pairing (which I'm not positive I would do), it could be argued that that puts Cole on the third.

I think it would be better to put Pouliot on the second pair than put him on an island and left to fend for himself with Scuderi.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Except this is the Penguins we are talking about...odds of them going more than an month without at least one quality defenseman being injured seem unfathomably low. So yeah significant ice time is pretty much guaranteed for their #7.

I know, love seeing all of these summer posts where people talk lines and positions like they won't miss 300+ man games this year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

The assumption that Pouliot's a default option for the 2nd pairing is what confuses me. He's heading into his fist full year, and he was rough around the edges last year with fewer minutes than Cole, who was very solid for us with big minutes in the playoffs.

I think the Maatta/Letang pairing people have in their heads makes them believe they need a better offensive option on the 2nd pairing. If we simply split those two up, things get a lot easier (can Cole play both sides?).

Cole - Letang
Maatta - Lovejoy
Pouliot - Dumo
Scuds

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Good news. Honestly, if we could unload Scuderi, I would be confortable starting the year with:

Maatta - Letang
Pouliot - Lovejoy
Dumoulin - Cole
Erixon

It is a pretty underwhelming group, but it has potential and should improve tremendously during the year. The only one who won't improve and should be improved upon is Lovejoy. That could be done at the deadline.

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC
Good news. Honestly, if we could unload Scuderi, I would be confortable starting the year with:

Maatta - Letang
Pouliot - Lovejoy
Dumoulin - Cole
Erixon

It is a pretty underwhelming group, but it has potential and should improve tremendously during the year. The only one who won't improve and should be improved upon is Lovejoy. That could be done at the deadline.

Serious question, who's better Andersen or Erixon?

drpepper

Dec 10, 2013
The assumption that Pouliot's a default option for the 2nd pairing is what confuses me. He's heading into his fist full year, and he was rough around the edges last year with fewer minutes than Cole, who was very solid for us with big minutes in the playoffs.

I think the Maatta/Letang pairing people have in their heads makes them believe they need a better offensive option on the 2nd pairing. If we simply split those two up, things get a lot easier.

Cole - Letang
Maatta - Lovejoy
Pouliot - Dumo
Scuds

Cole is not a top pairing defender and may never be. The Pens need at least one gaurenteed pairing and Maatta-Letang is it.

Also I think you are dreaming that Johnston is going to regularly have Scuderi as the 7th defenseman in the press box. Once Scuderi is in the picture Cole has to be paired with him as a babysitter. Lovejoy is too bad, slow and replicates his weaknesses. Pouliot and Dumoulin are better skaters and puck movers than Cole but have less experience and haven't played the right side.

Maatta-Letang
Scuderi-Cole
Pouliot-Lovejoy
Dumoulin

with TOI Letang, Maatta, Cole, Lovejoy, Scuderi, Pouliot, Dumoulin

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
That's true. Now all they need to do is actually play the guy. Dumoulin has shown jitters in NHL action before. That can lead to goals against, but it's also something that almost always goes away with more time on the ice.

Pouliot - Lovejoy actually looked really good last season (as a 3rd pairing) until Poo got hurt. I'm expecting the coaches to go back to that next season.

We talk about 2nd pairing/3rd pairing, but Im expecting Maatta - Letang to be the clear #1 with something like Pouliot - Lovejoy, Dumoulin - Cole getting equal minutes below them. Dumoulin - Cole looks more like a meat and potatoes shutdown line while Pouliot - Lovejoy is an offensive line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad