Proposal: Brian Burke

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Sherman is doing a nice job with contracts, building talent and shaping the team. people act as though if we get a new GM that he will somehow be able to make the team spend more money and land top tier FA's without the Kroenke's agreeing to spend more.

Sacco is the damn issue. we shouldn't be this far into his tenure as coach and still playing undisciplined hockey. it's flat out ridiculous.

AvalancheFan19

May 3, 2009
Which Sherman's trades have been good?

Maybe some trades worked for a very short time, but show me one that has worked for a long run.

This team is about to miss the playoffs yet another year which doesn't make Sherman a good GM at all.

Edit: All the players he trades for end up getting injured or leave the team.

You miss Galiardi and Winnik? Ginner has been quiet but I'll gladly take him and Sgarbossa over those two. You don't like the Varlamov trade? Only player on the team giving us any hope the past couple games, and I know we can't defend him forever but the goals let in against San Jose and Edmonton were hardly his fault. And down the stretch last year, he was again one of the major reasons we were even sniffing the playoffs.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
When listening to Avs interviews from management to players, they sound so full of themselves and very cocky. They make promises that they are going to be better, stronger, making the playoffs etc.. yet they seem to be worse every year.

After one win they make it sound like this team is the best team in the league, they talk about how they can win every game, then they go on losing the next few games where they don't even look like an AHL team.

When will Sherman realize this team needs some good d-men, when will he realize this team needs a better coach? who knows, maybe he realizes but his hands are tied and not much he can do about it, or maybe he's just not a good GM.

Literally none of this has happened.

How do you suppose he gets good D-men? Goes down the the "Top 4 D-men tree" and picks off a couple?

Bottom line is since Sherman has taken over he's managed assets decently well and this team has more skill than before.

I don't know why you expect every trade to bring in Star players. To get star players they either have to be drafted or you have to give up a star players. He has given this team a great core to build around in Duchene, O'reilly, Johnson, Varly, and Landeskog. He's beginning to surround them with the good pieces IE Parenteau, Mcginn, and Downie. On top of that we have a few prospects that are looking to make an impact.

This team will eventually compete, but owners have to be smart. I really like what Sherman has done so far. He's created a good core, actively tried to improve it, and hasn't sacrifice our future giving albatross contracts to free agents unworthy of them. I don't want a team like the Maple Leafs.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Literally none of this has happened.

How do you suppose he gets good D-men? Goes down the the "Top 4 D-men tree" and picks off a couple?

Bottom line is since Sherman has taken over he's managed assets decently well and this team has more skill than before.

I don't know why you expect every trade to bring in Star players. To get star players they either have to be drafted or you have to give up a star players. He has given this team a great core to build around in Duchene, O'reilly, Johnson, Varly, and Landeskog. He's beginning to surround them with the good pieces IE Parenteau, Mcginn, and Downie. On top of that we have a few prospects that are looking to make an impact.

This team will eventually compete, but owners have to be smart. I really like what Sherman has done so far.He's created a good core, actively tried to improve it, and hasn't sacrifice our future giving albatross contracts to free agents unworthy of them. I don't want a team like the Maple Leafs.

I already said how Sherman should get a D while it's not too late in this thread. Trade Stastny for one and sign O'Reilly. Why im saying while it's not late? because with every year Stastny's production goes down so is his value.

So when are we suppose to see improvement exactly? I don't know about you, but i don't consider missing the playoffs every year improvement.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I'm not really happy with where we are for year 4 in our rebuild but Burke's attempt to rebuild the Leafs was abysmally bad. As frustrated I am, things will take more time. Blues started rebuilding in 06 and were our *****es until last season, Kings in 03 and won the cup 9 years later). We started in 09 and have had some big setbacks (Mueller, Fleischmann, Hishon injuries) that have wasted significant assets.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I'm not really happy with where we are for year 4 in our rebuild but Burke's attempt to rebuild the Leafs was abysmally bad. As frustrated I am, things will take more time. Blues started rebuilding in 06 and were our *****es until last season, Kings in 03 and won the cup 9 years later). We started in 09 and have had some big setbacks (Mueller, Fleischmann, Hishon injuries) that have wasted significant assets.

I approve of this message.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I already said how Sherman should get a D while it's not too late in this thread. Trade Stastny for one and sign O'Reilly. Why im saying while it's not late? because with every year Stastny's production goes down so is his value.

So when are we suppose to see improvement exactly? I don't know about you, but i don't consider missing the playoffs every year improvement.

We saw improvement last year. O'reilly broke out, landeskog showed his worth, Johnson played like a #1 for stretches, Varly was dominant down the stretch. All of this helped us compete for a playoff spot. We were a decent team last year, and that was without Matt Duchene, arguably our best player. We also add Parenteau who I think adds significantly to the team and Duchene's line.

If our team was healthy this year and O'reilly was here we would be in a better situation. It seems like your focusing way to hard on the negatives instead of the positives. The only place this team is really lacking is defensively. How do we know Sherman isn't actively trying to address this?

I'm perfectly fine with waiting for the right moment to compete. It may take a while to acquire the right assets but there's no reason to panick.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
The only thing that would make me come remotely close to thinking about it is if that means a new coach is brought in immediately

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Listen I just had to put up with Burke for 4 years living in the GTA with the Leafs as my 2nd favourite team, I don't wanna deal with the blarney again.

He's not a good judge of talent and he'd screw us over because we're still in the development phase. A team with the tools like Washington or Buffalo are the ones who should hire Burke because he's good with trades, not us.

Oh and you can kiss the chance of signing a big $ FA good-bye if Burke's our GM.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
^ We have a shot now at least with the 8 year limit. From what I understand, they were pushing for Suter or Parise (forgot which one) so it's not like they completely stood idle.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
^ We have a shot now at least with the 8 year limit. From what I understand, they were pushing for Suter or Parise (forgot which one) so it's not like they completely stood idle.

They made an offer but I'm sure Toronto did too (along with every other team). Doesn't necessarily mean the offer was anywhere in the ballpark of what the player was looking for which was Burke's problem with Brad Richards for example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad