Proposal: Brian Burke

hockeyGod

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
What is everyone's thoughts on bringing in Brian Burke and showing Sherman the door.

With the assets we currently have I think he could make this team a contender quickly.

Of coarse this would be under the assumption that we would be a fricken cap team again.

Would you be in favor of Burkie as our GM?

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
No thanks to Brian Burke.

And there is no reason to show The Shermanator the door. And think he has done a great job with both contracts and trades.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Sherman is a fan favorit here but a bit overrated if you ask me but I'm not sure Burke would be better, given his record in Toronto probably not. I also find some of his trades very questionable.

If you have a team with a limited budget in a low spending team then I think Sherman is one of the best, getting the most from the money.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I think Brian Burke be a good fit. The type of players he targets are the type this team needs. The talent is already in place.

That being said, though it was some time ago, there's animosity between Burke and Pierre Lacroix. I seriously doubt we'd see it happen. Or the Avalanche go outside the organization at all for that matter.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Pierre Lacroix and Brian Burke working together? Someone on this forum might have a better shot at becoming the Avs next GM. However, I could see Lacroix hiring Burke just so he can have the satisfaction of firing him five minutes later.

I think Sherman has done a very good job. My main complaint would be the defense. He brought in EJ but that's pretty much all we have right now on defense. If Sherman gets fired, I think Sakic will be the next GM.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
No. Shermans done a great job and I think one of the best traders in the league.

Which Sherman's trades have been good?

Maybe some trades worked for a very short time, but show me one that has worked for a long run.

This team is about to miss the playoffs yet another year which doesn't make Sherman a good GM at all.

Edit: All the players he trades for end up getting injured or leave the team.

Mouse21*

id take him.

Sherman is awful.
though clearly Bruke is the opposite of what this team would get. He is very public with everything.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I wouldn't want Burke, but I would want a new GM, someone with aggressive approach building this team.

Sherman makes one trade for mediocre player, and the entire organization along with majority of the fan base think that's it, the team is ready to take major steps forward.

Seems like this team either very delusional thinking they can win with current roster, or they just don't care and are happy with being mediocre.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Which Sherman's trades have been good?

Maybe some trades worked for a very short time, but show me one that has worked for a long run.

This team is about to miss the playoffs yet another year which doesn't make Sherman a good GM at all.

Edit: All the players he trades for end up getting injured or leave the team.
Ehm.. We can't really judge Sherman on that before he has actually been a GM for a "long run".

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I wouldn't want Burke, but I would want a new GM, someone with aggressive approach building this team.

Sherman makes one trade for mediocre player, and the entire organization along with majority of the fan base think that's it, the team is ready to take major steps forward.

Seems like this team either very delusional thinking they can win with current roster, or they just don't care and are happy with being mediocre.

Which type of trade do you think Sherman should be making? We are in a re-build mode with a young group of players who hasn't reached their potential yet. We obviously aren't in a stage when we should make "big trades" which is exactly what Burke did wrong in Toronto. When he refused to accept they were in a re-build mode and did that Kessel trade instead of taking their very high picks themselves.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Threads like this shows the frustration among the fans right now.

Suggesting Burke as GM and Keenan as a coach. ;-)

Me suggesting Keenan yesterday was a bit sarcastic though which nobody understood.

I do feel that a tough coach would be the best for this young team.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
No. I have some real problems with some things Sherman has done but he certainly has done nothing that warrants a sacking.

Meanwhile Burke was a miserable failure in Toronto despite having virtually unlimited control and resources.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Pierre Lacroix and Brian Burke working together? Someone on this forum might have a better shot at becoming the Avs next GM.

I'm telegraphing my resume as we speak. Loyal to the organization, so I'm definitely an in-house acquisition and I'm willing to take a major paycut.

My Engineering degree gives me a strong foundation in building a winning product, meanwhile my Biology background ensures that I will remain atop my field in scouting by using advanced biological techniques to scout players. I am an active coach, so I have understanding of what it takes to win as a bench boss and will have the ability to pick a winning coach for the team. I also am a frugal person, preferring to save rather than spend.

Do I get the job?

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I'm telegraphing my resume as we speak. Loyal to the organization, so I'm definitely an in-house acquisition and I'm willing to take a major paycut.

My Engineering degree gives me a strong foundation in building a winning product, meanwhile my Biology background ensures that I will remain atop my field in scouting by using advanced biological techniques to scout players. I am an active coach, so I have understanding of what it takes to win as a bench boss and will have the ability to pick a winning coach for the team. I also am a frugal person, preferring to save rather than spend.

Do I get the job?

Yes or no?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I have a better change of being the next GM of the Avs than Burke does.

If anybody is paying attention, Sakic is the next GM of this team. He is being groomed for the job by Lacroix and Sherman. Sakic will get the job either when Sherman screws up, tanks, and gets fired (could be this year the way we are playing :rant:), or when Sherman 'steps' down from the job to let Sakic take the reigns (within 4-5 years at most).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad