TSN: Brian Burke sit down interview w/ James Duthie (Burke Thread)

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
http://video.tsn.ca/?dl=main/latest/1/0/842440/clip/250

Favourite part of the interview was when Duthie mentioned his son. Burke said it's not a valid excuse and he will never play the "son card", and that work here was his therapy.

I don't believe him, and I truly believe it did affect his job performance, but we'll never hear that from him and that speaks a lot about his character. I wish him well wherever he ends up (although he is still here...for now).

Last edited by a moderator:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I just finished watching it came here to see if there was thread.

I'm going miss the big Irish bugger.

I wish him the best.

p.s Duthie is class as well

Last edited:

Leafs For Life*

I like how Duthie doesn't force the answers, if he says I can't say that duthie accepts it. Seems that Burke took the Advisor job thinking it would be hockey operations though :(

And lol Wilson dissapearing to his boat and golfing

draeko17

Jul 7, 2007
I was on the eliptical at the gym when this came on. Got me all choked up. Frick me, he looks like crap. Very honest interview. Loved it and hated it at the same time.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Personally, I very much enjoy his persona and his capabilities outside his role in hockey operations (only part I dislike is he could be more professional with the media, he acts like that isn't as important of a job as what he refers to as interactions with his staff, etc) because the media at the end of the day, is an extension of his relationship to the fans. The reason I have been so adamant in support of his firing is because he's failed in all of the above in his 4 horrendous years (W/L, asset accumulation, to name a few) thus far yet some apologetics will try to point to anything to further their narrative.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
LOL how will he be our GM again? Or are u guys just talking out of ur *****

Also is it just me or does something get bleeped out in the interview :laugh:

Im Old Gregggg

Jun 22, 2010
Kitchener, On
**** im still so dissapointed with this, I loved burkes style and we didnt give him enough time..... firing gms every 4 years gets you no where, he was the right man for the job in this type of market and he has been **** on by alot of people on here, i still feel (like in vancouver) in the next 3-5 years from now we will finally see the benefits he left us with and will miss him

**** ROGERS AND **** BELL!

Alain Racette

Jun 18, 2005
Duthie is pure class - great interviewer.

Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger, James Duthie... TSN has such a great staff of hockey personalities.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
damn I already miss the guy, Really wish we gave him at least this season to do something.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
You know, when he asked him about Luongo, I didn't get the sense that it wasn't talked about, he still pulled the old "player is under contract" answer, but there is something there , which actually makes me a little nervous.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Good interview.

There still is not a really solid reason for his firing, it's hard for me to believe, that he was let go because his personality clashed, with the new owners and it certainly wasn't Larry Tanenbaum.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
Personally, I very much enjoy his persona and his capabilities outside his role in hockey operations (only part I dislike is he could be more professional with the media, he acts like that isn't as important of a job as what he refers to as interactions with his staff, etc) because the media at the end of the day, is an extension of his relationship to the fans. The reason I have been so adamant in support of his firing is because he's failed in all of the above in his 4 horrendous years (W/L, asset accumulation, to name a few) thus far yet some apologetics will try to point to anything to further their narrative.

Me too. Had such high hopes for Burke. Loved the way he came in. But he lost his way early on. If he'd just shut up and been more patient. Instead, he loved the spotlight too much, got into all those unnecessary public fights, and tried to rush building the team with that very ill-advised Kessel deal. I'm sad about how this all worked out, as well, but like you, this had to happen. No light at the end of the tunnel. Gotta make a change.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
After re-watching his presser and interview I am more convinced that this "branding" issue that the new management had with Burke is overblown. And by that, I mean, the suggestion he was fired purely because of his branding. To use Burke's own words, he wouldn't have been sitting there at the presser today (i.e fired), had he won games (i.e gotten results). This strongly suggests it was a two sided coin- he didn't do anywhere close to enough in hockey operations and his unprofessional and uncharismatic nature with the media did him no good as well.

I can completely see why management would feel that way about their branding as well, at the end of the day, speaking to the media is an extension of your relationship with the fans. Clearly, Burke did not treat it as such- and instead pointed to his duties with "his staff, termination of contracts, etc." as being matters that required a higher level of professionalism instead. In that sense, it's like a "pick and choose scenario", which just couldn't work for new management. Not that any of that matters to me. I care about what he did on the ice and the results, not only did he fail miserably on the win-losses column but his asset accumulation was terrible. Guy got 4 years. Can't find much positives or rationale to keep his job besides his work in the community, which he admits himself is secondary.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
He will be our GM again.

Book it

Not a chance in hell. Way too much pride in the MLSE office. These aren't kids in there, no matter what people think of what just happened. I can't see Burke going back for round two in Toronto, either. Way too much ego and pride. After a little break, he'll be glad to be out of the pressure cooker. And in the summer, he'll be off for another GM job or something with the league and he won't look back.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Pure class. Hockey guy through and through. I hope he lands on his feet sooner rather than later. At least he's outta this gong show now. Look back and laugh Brian, look back and laugh.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
NEW RULE: as soon as your employee speaks of himself in the third person ...... FIRE HIM!

Leafs For Life*

Duthie is pure class - great interviewer.

Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger, James Duthie... TSN has such a great staff of hockey personalities.

Story about Dreger: Live only a few streets away from him, and he was at a local restaurant in the bar part, and one of my friend's moms went to talk to him and he kinda flaked her off like he was better than her.. Not a great outside-of-hockey personality lol.

Marcel Cousineau

The REAL #31
Jan 20, 2009
Ontario
Good interview.

There still is not a really solid reason for his firing, it's hard for me to believe, that he was let go because his personality clashed, with the new owners and it certainly wasn't Larry Tanenbaum.

McCowan was right. Look at how Rogers runs the Jays - very hands off, they let their execs do their thing. Nadir will open the pocketbooks when deemed necessary and doesn't interfere with day-to-day operations. Look at Rogers corporate culture, very laid back.

I can vouch somewhat as an employee of Bell, on the other hand they are very much the opposite. Very structured, very polished, but very 'my way or the highway' style of leadership. Their execs tow this line to the T, and they very much frown upon dissidents.

The board didn't necessarily have a problem with Burke. George Cope, on the other hand, would be the person most likely to have issues with Burke's management style as it is very un-BCE.

Todd Skill

Feb 17, 2012
Story about Dreger: Live only a few streets away from him, and he was at a local restaurant in the bar part, and one of my friend's moms went to talk to him and he kinda flaked her off like he was better than her.. Not a great outside-of-hockey personality lol.

I used to live in Brooklin and met him at the dry cleaners. He came off as a really good dude in our brief conversation. Not sure what was expected of him at the bar, but maybe he just wanted to enjoy his drink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad