Brian Burke says Hurricanes post game celebrations are “pee wee garbage”

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
It's lame as hell and I'm embarrassed for the players that are forced to do it.

Feel free to hit the "ignore thread" button.

How do you share your embarrassment for a team 2500 miles away?! genuinely curious. :laugh: :huh: LOL

And why do I feel (know) your attitude would be completely different if a couple of Canadian (read: non-southern) teams were having this kind of fun

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
My season tickets are in the upper bowl of the arena and I'm pretty sure I've never seen snipers stationed in the PNC Arena catwalks drawing beads on players to ensure compliance. The whole "forced" thing some are arguing is ridiculous projection.

Great point. Everybody knows the only way to force participation in something is with the threat of gun violence. You win the Ad Absurdum award for that incredible post.

Reactions: Last Gleaming

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
My season tickets are in the upper bowl of the arena and I'm pretty sure I've never seen snipers stationed in the PNC Arena catwalks drawing beads on players to ensure compliance. The whole "forced" thing some are arguing is ridiculous projection.
I heard Skinner, Lindholm and Hanifin told Dundo in June that they won't do it and the Nylander discussions are hanging on this.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
Great point. Everybody knows the only way to force participation in something is with the threat of gun violence. You win the Ad Absurdum award for that incredible post.
The post was made because there is a mountain of evidence that the activity is completely player driven. On the other hand, there is zero evidence that it is someone else's idea, yet the conclusion is that they are being "forced" to do this. That conclusion does not fit any of the evidence. This poster is merely pointing out the absurdity of THAT claim. Pretty simple really ;). It is good that you are learning about how to make and support claims though!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I love Brian Burke. He better fill in for Grapes when he retires. He would be the perfect fit.
This is bang on...........another old guy who takes himself way too seriously!! The perfect replacement for Old Grapes!!!

The NHL is in the entertainment business, the league and the old guard seem to take itself way too seriously. The league and the players could use some energy and personality to help it sell the game. It's celebrating a WIN....if the team is good, and the fans like it, so be it....

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
As a hard core Canes fan:
1) I thought the Team Grind and Team Grit for the preseason lacked creativity at best and was sophomoric at worst. I think those names likely were "forced."
2) I really enjoy the celebrations. While maybe not highly professional, they are quite creative. It is obvious that these celebrations are player-driven.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The post was made because there is a mountain of evidence that the activity is completely player driven. On the other hand, there is zero evidence that it is someone else's idea, yet the conclusion is that they are being "forced" to do this. That conclusion does not fit any of the evidence. This poster is merely pointing out the absurdity of THAT claim. Pretty simple really ;). It is good that you are learning about how to make and support claims though!

Thank you. My bit of hyperbole aside, how does one force highly paid professional athletes, some of whom have been in this League for a decade or longer, to do anything? Team rituals are a thing in just about every sport, even at the pro level. The players have fun with it (as has been said over and over again, it's player driven, the players come up with what the celebration's going to be and who's going to lead it) and the fans have fun with it. So why complain about it? If Detroit can throw their octopi, Nashville can throw their catfish, Winnipeg and Calgary can have their white outs and red miles, Vegas can have their pre-game program, etc., why can't we have the Storm Surge?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Thank you. My bit of hyperbole aside, how does one force highly paid professional athletes, some of whom have been in this League for a decade or longer, to do anything? Team rituals are a thing in just about every sport, even at the pro level. The players have fun with it (as has been said over and over again, it's player driven, the players come up with what the celebration's going to be and who's going to lead it) and the fans have fun with it. So why complain about it? If Detroit can throw their octopi, Nashville can throw their catfish, Winnipeg and Calgary can have their white outs and red miles, Vegas can have their pre-game program, etc., why can't we have the Storm Surge?

Octopodes. The word octopus comes from Ancient Greek. While a Latin word, octopus is not a second declension word that warrants the Latin plural -i.

So if one would clone Dr. Octopus, they would be Dr. Octopodes. But also Otto Octavii.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If Detroit can throw their octopi, Nashville can throw their catfish, Winnipeg and Calgary can have their white outs and red miles, Vegas can have their pre-game program, etc., why can't we have the Storm Surge?
Because the Canes fans don't deserve fun, they deserve to have their team be relocated to Quebec City, Hartford, or Houston. That's always been the underlying theme to all this bitching and moaning. If this happened in one of the bigger markets, it would be a massive hit, with everyone in hockey celebrating how cool it is with how much fun the players are having. But because its undeserving Carolina, its cheesy campy crap that doesn't belong in the game.

Patrik

Mar 5, 2017
I can't even see why is this a conversation. They are just having fun, it doesn't harm anyone if they celebrate their wins. People who get mad at others having fun are the most toxic people on this planet.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I fully get that it's their decision and if the players AND the fans are enjoying it, then go for it.

As a habs fan, I wouldn't want to see Montreal do something like this, it would feel awkward and childish, and not in keeping with the tradition of the franchise - which takes pride in certain aesthetics.

But before anyone calls me out, I'm not triggered, or angry, or toxic, or anything else. I just think it's lame.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
It would look better if they won more but their directors of marketing and team are trying to connect to the fans, at least they’re trying.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

HandmadeRareBee-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: IndustryLeech

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
I bet you're fun at parties.

C'mon man, don't take the low hanging fruit. Taking it seriously doesn't mean no fun, it means celebrating the goals and really feeling the losses as a fan, but expecting more out of your high paid players. They should be taking it seriously not me. If your team doesn't even look tired after a game and has time to pirouette around the rink for a bit, it just sends the wrong message.

Why don't they carry t-shirt guns on their backs during the game and randomly fire shirts into the crowd mid-play. Can you honestly tell me that wouldn't be FUN?

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Aaaah yes. The "sport is life and you should treat losses like a death in the family" mentality. That always makes things fun and rewarding and encouraging for the kids.

I was talking about the players not me, hero. Pay me 8 million a year and I will take it seriously.

member 151739

I was talking about the players not me, hero. Pay me 8 million a year and I will take it seriously.

I'm about to blow your mind: you can have fun and treat it seriously simultaneously. You can be competitive and want to win while also having fun. It is a game.

ScrewParros

Oct 30, 2018
Kind of stupid and cringe worthy tbh, if there was some kind of " Domino for cancer " thing like the Ice Bucket Challenge I would maybe understand it.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I fully get that it's their decision and if the players AND the fans are enjoying it, then go for it.

As a habs fan, I wouldn't want to see Montreal do something like this, it would feel awkward and childish, and not in keeping with the tradition of the franchise - which takes pride in certain aesthetics.

But before anyone calls me out, I'm not triggered, or angry, or toxic, or anything else. I just think it's lame.

f*** tradition. It's not that serious.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
C'mon man, don't take the low hanging fruit. Taking it seriously doesn't mean no fun, it means celebrating the goals and really feeling the losses as a fan, but expecting more out of your high paid players. They should be taking it seriously not me. If your team doesn't even look tired after a game and has time to pirouette around the rink for a bit, it just sends the wrong message.

Why don't they carry t-shirt guns on their backs during the game and randomly fire shirts into the crowd mid-play. Can you honestly tell me that wouldn't be FUN?

This just in...players don't care about winning as much as fans do.

Reactions: Svechhammer

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
The Canes players and fans love it. I think that's all that really matters.

Burke is still entitled to his opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad