Confirmed with Link: Brian Burke returns to Ducks in a Part-Time Professional Scouting Position

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I'm just assuming this is temporary and he's keeping busy until something better comes along.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Todd Bertuzzi
Doug Weight
Brendan Morrison

Great "pro" scouting track record ...

Way to isolate.

Bertuzzi was a smart signing in theory. He was a former elite talent who needed scenery change and a low media market. The combo of size and expected skill should have made him Getzlaf and Perry's ideal partner. And for a while he was. That winter people were calling the trio the best line in hockey. Bert just couldn't keep it together.

Morrison was a gamble but I can see the reasoning. I'm sure Burke tried other options. Anaheim isn't the most desirable FA destination.

Weight was playing just about as well as McDonald at the time. As time went on it proved to be a fail but at the time it was fair value and we needed to move our cap.

For every one of these 3 players there's 3 good Burke scouting jobs.

Last edited:

Hussar

Talented.
Mar 30, 2004
Paradise
Brian Burke: Hey boss, got a lead on a player, hes got toughness

Barstool: Great lets hear it!

BB: Well it gonna cost us a second rounder. Its ok. A second rounder ran over my dog.

BS: Yeah I remember....

BB: He's a former player for me in Toronto. Trucuent as ****. Seeing as we dont have a legit heavyweight....

BS: Stop. Dammit are you talking about Orr? I worked hard to get that second from the Isle.

BB: Bob, Bob, Bob, do I really need to go get those pictures of you with Prongers wife?

Press Release:

Colton Orr traded to Anaheim Ducks for second round pick.

Oct 18, 2011
This position for Burke is just simply put, stupid. He sucks at analyzing young talent, look at his draft history when he was GM. This was not the position he should had been put in. Should had a PR position, Burke talking to media plus Gabby as our coach. Our team's spotlight would get bigger and bigger.
He actually did a real good job in Toronto, look at the roster he took over. he made 1 mistake and that was the Kessel move, it was stupid but my guess is MLSE was a factor in that. regardless burke knows how to evaluate pro talent fairly well, murph better not screw up now lol

RPGrizzly

Jan 5, 2006
Way to isolate.

Bertuzzi was a smart signing in theory. He was a former elite talent who needed scenery change and a low media market. The combo of size and expected skill should have made him Getzlaf and Perry's ideal partner. And for a while he was. That winter people were calling the trio the best line in hockey. Bert just couldn't keep it together.

Morrison was a gamble but I can see the reasoning. I'm sure Burke tried other options. Anaheim isn't the most desirable FA destination.

Weight was playing just about as well as McDonald at the time. As time went on it proved to be a fail but at the time it was fair value and we needed to move our cap.

Good post DuckJet. People just like to... conveniently forget the circumstances Burke was facing when he made those deals. Bertuzzi approached the Ducks. Bob Murray negotiated that contract, but Burke was on board with it. Bert was good in Anaheim. Doug Weight meant Scott Niedermayer. Morrison, inexpensive reclamation project on a one year deal.

I don't want this to turn into another Burke bashing thread. Only pointing out the players that didn't work out for Burke and the Ducks does a disservice to the fact that
For every one of these 3 players there's 3 good Burke scouting jobs.
Hiller, Beauchemin, and Moen were great pickups by Burke, who were all pretty much no-names before coming to Anaheim. Those are the kind of transactions that deserve more praise than the flak Burke gets for bringing in guys like Bertuzzi, Morrison, and Weight, who had all made a name for themselves well before coming to Anaheim.

Winreims

Dec 31, 2011
He actually did a real good job in Toronto, look at the roster he took over. he made 1 mistake and that was the Kessel move, it was stupid but my guess is MLSE was a factor in that. regardless burke knows how to evaluate pro talent fairly well, murph better not screw up now lol

Leaf fan in peace here :cheers:

I'd say his biggest mistake was keeping Ron Wilson for as long as he did.. nevertheless some of the moves he made are paying off now (I guess). Good luck the rest of the season guys, You've got a good and fun team to watch in Anaheim!

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
i think its a good move, but i still think the way he left was pretty lame (atleast in a fans eye)

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I guess it probably is. I'm sure he doesn't pull them out. But I'm not so sure he doesn't go back without them some of that time.

It just seems to me that he returns there as much as possible when he can. It gave me the impression he really wants to go home. But like I said, I hope I'm wrong.

Henrique Iglesias

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I think this is a perfect position for Burke experience wise for our team. Personality wise not so much. He likes to be the top dog. And as long as we keep winning I can't see him taking over Murray's job anytime soon.

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Too bad he can't change positions with Murray
I still can't comprehend how a gm that brought us a cup and had a competitive team every year he was here. His drafting record was Ok but that has to do with the staff which BM was a part of.
What a joke

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Too bad he can't change positions with Murray
I still can't comprehend how a gm that brought us a cup and had a competitive team every year he was here. His drafting record was Ok but that has to do with the staff which BM was a part of.
What a joke

Murray has done a fine job, and it's absolutely ridiculous for you to dismiss the drafting Murray has done. Why couldn't Burke get the same results?

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Murray has done a fine job, and it's absolutely ridiculous for you to dismiss the drafting Murray has done. Why couldn't Burke get the same results?

I have given murray some props for his drafting but it's like he's a Draft genius.
Whats wrong withs Burkes results? Hes had mostly late 1st the only lottery pick he had he hit a homerun

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Murray seems to have had no trouble with his late firsts. Not to mention that his were actually late firsts and not mids.

Corey Perry*

I've always had the feeling Teemu will head back to Finland when he retires. He spends most of the off season there now. I'm sure he will keep a home here and visit but I don't expect him to stay. I hope I'm wrong.

IIRC, I remember Selanne saying that he's probably going to stay in SoCal long term. He's opening a Steak house in Laguna Beach, btw.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I have given murray some props for his drafting but it's like he's a Draft genius.
Whats wrong withs Burkes results? Hes had mostly late 1st the only lottery pick he had he hit a homerun

Burke

Ryan (2) Mikkelsson (31) (could've drafted James Neal) Bailey (63) could've had Quick or Russell, Bolt (127), Salcido (141), Levasseur (197)

Mitera (19)...Giroux was picked next. Swan (38) Lucic, Petry, Anisimov, McBain passed up. De Gray (83), Beleskey (112) Wirtanen (172)

MacMillan (19) over Pacioretty, Backlund, and Perron. Eric Tangradi (42), Subban was selected next and from the same team. Macenauer (63) Vaive and Kampfer (92 and 93) instead of Martinez, Omark, Frattin, King, Falk, Halishuk. Modig (121) over Jamie Benn.

Not one solid NHLer from that draft.

2008: The one year Burke made some okay picks, but he STILL could've had a better draft.

1.) Jake Gardiner. (17) Trade down from 12 where Tyler Myers was selected. Karlsson went 15th. Jordan Eberle went 4 picks later.
2.) Nic Deschamps (35) something about him having like 37 points in 54 games. Or something. and Eric O'Dell (39) when we could've had our pick of two of Josi, Wiercioch, Adam, Stepan, Hamonic, or even Scandella.
2.) Justin Schultz a good pick, but he was the third of three second round picks Burke made, so I'm not so sure how confident Burkie was in his talent. And the way it worked out for us. I would've been happier with Stepan or Hamonic.
Brittain (71) Cousineau (83) McMIllan (85) Hegarty (113) Warg (143) Pryor (208)

So basically Ryan, Beleskey, Gardiner, Schultz. Two of which still play. One of which has better than 20 point per year production.

The drafting under Burke was borderline scary.

Murray

Holland (15)
Palmieri
(26)
Clark (still has a shot)
Bobkov
Vatanen
Illo
Valentine

Fowler (12)
Etem (29)
Smith Pelly
Wagner
Heed
Dahlstrom
Lind
Perlini

Rakell
Gibson
Karlsson
Cramarossa
Welinski
Friberg
Manson

Lindholm
Kerdiles
Andersen
Roy

O'Brien
Cooper
Helgesen
Megna

Murray's drafting shows a lot more promise than Burke's ever did and it's likely going to yield more NHL talent.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Didn't he have a better position with Toronto? He get fired from that to? I didn't read the article someone fill me in.
He had a largely symbolic position with Toronto, and wasn't doing any work for them. They gave him a title because they had to keep paying him anyway.

So he takes a paycut but has a job now.

getzforfighting*

Burke

Ryan (2) Mikkelsson (31) (could've drafted James Neal) Bailey (63) could've had Quick or Russell, Bolt (127), Salcido (141), Levasseur (197)

Mitera (19)...Giroux was picked next. Swan (38) Lucic, Petry, Anisimov, McBain passed up. De Gray (83), Beleskey (112) Wirtanen (172)

MacMillan (19) over Pacioretty, Backlund, and Perron. Eric Tangradi (42), Subban was selected next and from the same team. Macenauer (63) Vaive and Kampfer (92 and 93) instead of Martinez, Omark, Frattin, King, Falk, Halishuk. Modig (121) over Jamie Benn.

Not one solid NHLer from that draft.

2008: The one year Burke made some okay picks, but he STILL could've had a better draft.

1.) Jake Gardiner. (17) Trade down from 12 where Tyler Myers was selected. Karlsson went 15th. Jordan Eberle went 4 picks later.
2.) Nic Deschamps (35) something about him having like 37 points in 54 games. Or something. and Eric O'Dell (39) when we could've had our pick of two of Josi, Wiercioch, Adam, Stepan, Hamonic, or even Scandella.
2.) Justin Schultz a good pick, but he was the third of three second round picks Burke made, so I'm not so sure how confident Burkie was in his talent. And the way it worked out for us. I would've been happier with Stepan or Hamonic.
Brittain (71) Cousineau (83) McMIllan (85) Hegarty (113) Warg (143) Pryor (208)

So basically Ryan, Beleskey, Gardiner, Schultz. Two of which still play. One of which has better than 20 point per year production.

The drafting under Burke was borderline scary.

Murray

Holland (15)
Palmieri
(26)
Clark (still has a shot)
Bobkov
Vatanen
Illo
Valentine

Fowler (12)
Etem (29)
Smith Pelly
Wagner
Heed
Dahlstrom
Lind
Perlini

Rakell
Gibson
Karlsson
Cramarossa
Welinski
Friberg
Manson

Lindholm
Kerdiles
Andersen
Roy

O'Brien
Cooper
Helgesen
Megna

Murray's drafting shows a lot more promise than Burke's ever did and it's likely going to yield more NHL talent.

thanks for this post, really interesting to see who we could have had :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad