Confirmed with Link: Brian Burke returns to Ducks in a Part-Time Professional Scouting Position

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I have a secret hope that Schultz was foolish enough to tell Burke that he already knew who he was signing with when the Ducks gave Toronto permission to talk to him before the draft, and by having him on payroll they can get all the details out of him with. Clearly this is a tinfoil hat dream, but it would be nice if Edmonton would be nailed to the wall, Schultz would have his contract voided, and the Ducks would get compensation.

My real fear is that Burke gets another GM job and has used the time to get free contact with Perry and Selanne. Also tinfoil, but a scary thought after his Toronto behavior.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I have a secret hope that Schultz was foolish enough to tell Burke that he already knew who he was signing with when the Ducks gave Toronto permission to talk to him before the draft, and by having him on payroll they can get all the details out of him with. Clearly this is a tinfoil hat dream, but it would be nice if Edmonton would be nailed to the wall, Schultz would have his contract voided, and the Ducks would get compensation.

My real fear is that Burke gets another GM job and has used the time to get free contact with Perry and Selanne. Also tinfoil, but a scary thought after his Toronto behavior.

Hmm, I kind of had your first tin foil hat on myself. I can't for the life of me understand why he would take such a seemingly huge cut in pay even if it is considered temporary. Maybe he got a buyout from Toronto? I did think maybe the Ducks are fishing for Schultz info.

If Burke had any Schultz tampering info while in TOR I could see where he would keep it to himself not to get tangled up in somebody else's mess. But now that he works for the Ducks again I could see him passing on what he may know or have heard. Definitely a long shot but it did cross my mind.

I'll put the tin foil hat away now. ;)

Oct 18, 2011

Nah. Burke has to much respect for Murray to stab him in the back that way

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Hmm, I kind of had your first tin foil hat on myself. I can't for the life of me understand why he would take such a seemingly huge cut in pay even if it is considered temporary. Maybe he got a buyout from Toronto? I did think maybe the Ducks are fishing for Schultz info.

If Burke had any Schultz tampering info while in TOR I could see where he would keep it to himself not to get tangled up in somebody else's mess. But now that he works for the Ducks again I could see him passing on what he may know or have heard. Definitely a long shot but it did cross my mind.

I'll put the tin foil hat away now. ;)
He didn't have a hockey position in Toronto. He gets to have a job that puts him in contact with various organizations and keep his name out there for when the next GM job opens up. We're lending an old friend of the organization a hand. I may be wrong, but I believe that Toronto is still on the hook for his old contract till he finds another executive position. I don't think it has anything to do with Schultz.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
He didn't have a hockey position in Toronto. He gets to have a job that puts him in contact with various organizations and keep his name out there for when the next GM job opens up. We're lending an old friend of the organization a hand. I may be wrong, but I believe that Toronto is still on the hook for his old contract till he finds another executive position. I don't think it has anything to do with Schultz.

Bob Murray, the GM of the Ducks, said he’s happy to welcome Burke back into the fold since he will make the franchise even stronger than it is. There’s no doubt that the Leafs are happy to see Burke go since they have now terminated his ridiculous contract, which saw him making about $6 million a year.

http://www.footbasket.com/misc/brian-burke-returns-to-ducks-after-being-fired-by-maple-leafs/

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Don't know why Toronto wouldn't have given him the same basic job of scouting so he could keep his hand in the game. They gave him him a nothing job anyway while they continued paying him.

I do understand he and the Ducks have always had a good working relationship. But it does still seem like an odd move.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Don't know why Toronto wouldn't have given him the same basic job of scouting so he could keep his hand in the game. They gave him him a nothing job anyway while they continued paying him.

I do understand he and the Ducks have always had a good working relationship. But it does still seem like an odd move.

That article makes it sound like that's what Burke thought he was going to do, and they basically just told him to stay away. Makes it sound personal.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
Well I dont know how much he is making now with the Ducks but someone mentioned it was much less? Why give up 6 million to sit at home if he wanted to come here? Odd move.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Because sitting at home would mean retirement or having to sit on a panel with Pierre Mcguire for the rest of his life, and no one wants that.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Well I dont know how much he is making now with the Ducks but someone mentioned it was much less? Why give up 6 million to sit at home if he wanted to come here? Odd move.
Well someone like BB isn't exactly hard up for money to begin with. And this is something that can get you back into a GM position a little quicker and keep you in the game, rather then just sitting at home twiddling your thumbs

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
If I recall correctly RC was pro scouting on his own after we fired him. He was drawing his Ducks pay and still doing pretty much what Burke will do to help stay in the game for his next move. He didn't have to take a major pay cut to do it. You would think he could have give Burke some advice on that seeing as how they are buds. ;)

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Burke was the highest paid GM in the league...he made 3M/year on a 6 year contract, so he left 6M on the table to get away from MLSE.

I think Burke cut a deal with MLSE, something like Burke getting 50% of the money owed to him over the years.

I love this move. Love him or hate him, NOBODY can deny the experience and knowledge Burkie has.

And to be honest, I have more confidence with Burke running this team compared to Murray.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
I think Burke cut a deal with MLSE, something like Burke getting 50% of the money owed to him over the years.

I love this move. Love him or hate him, NOBODY can deny the experience and knowledge Burkie has.

And to be honest, I have more confidence with Burke running this team compared to Murray.
He will not be running this team any more. Time to move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad