News Article: Brian Burke-President of Hockey Operations for the Calgary Flames

SLURVE

Oct 20, 2011
TSN reports Burke may be going to the Flames as an executive. I have mixed emotions about this. If so, the Flames will be tougher to play against and a few bold moves instore. Wow, the rivalry of Burke vs Lowe in the Battle of Alberta takes main stage. To break the ice, they should have a boxing match to start the season. "In the Red corner, at 6'2" and weighing in at 275 it is the Burkinator, and in the blue corner, at 6'2" and 235, it is the Lowe-Blow.... Lets get ready to Rummmble!"

Addendum-Brian is the President of Hockey Operations who reports to Ken King while Feaster will be reporting to Burke.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/brian-burke-joins-calgary-flames-as-pres-of-hockey-operations-1.1441167

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports...ference+amid+Burke+rumours/8870767/story.html

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=431209

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I wanted him as GM of the Oilers because he could clean house and get rid of Lowe and co.

If he gets rid of King and Feaster I think he could make some improvements. If not, him and Feaster (both stubborn) will be a complete train wreck.
If Feaster is made President that would be the greatest thing ever. Feaster vs Lowe, 2 once good GMs (Feaster in Tampa, Lowe 06) But who are now garbage and somehow president

In Toronto Burke made some great trades, however he had some vets with some good trade value in Beachmin, Kaberle (was still productive) and Stajan (had value surprisingly)

In Calgary he only has an ageing Cammy on a bad contract, Stemps and Gio. It will be interesting to see if he can make trades with those guys and get back Phanuef/Lupul/Gardiner level guys back.

Also wonder how much he has left. Hes been through 3 teams, 2 of which were rebuilds.

Anyway, it will be interesting to watch

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Burke is a hell of a lot brighter than Kevin (6 rings) Lowe.

If true.....then its advantage Flames.

fancy dan

too many losing
Jun 21, 2011
as an oiler fan i can only dream of something this wonderful happening. also, burke/lowe fistfight looms....

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I approve. He'll trade this years pick and the McDavid lottery pick for Derek Stepan.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I wanted him as GM of the Oilers because he could clean house and get rid of Lowe and co.

If he gets rid of King and Feaster I think he could make some improvements. If not, him and Feaster (both stubborn) will be a complete train wreck.
If Feaster is made President that would be the greatest thing ever. Feaster vs Lowe, 2 once good GMs (Feaster in Tampa, Lowe 06) But who are now garbage and somehow president

In Toronto Burke made some great trades, however he had some vets with some good trade value in Beachmin, Kaberle (was still productive) and Stajan (had value surprisingly)

In Calgary he only has an ageing Cammy on a bad contract, Stemps and Gio. It will be interesting to see if he can make trades with those guys and get back Phanuef/Lupul/Gardiner level guys back.

Also wonder how much he has left. Hes been through 3 teams, 2 of which were rebuilds.

Burke would never have been able to clear out Lowe if he had been hired by the Oilers, general managers typically aren't given the power to fire their bosses. Same goes for Ken King down in Calgary who is president of the organization.

Lowe has a job until he decides to retire, or Katz fires him.

I have to feel bad for Flames fans though, they think they are going into a rebuild(hypocritically hoping for it after trashing the Oiler's for their rebuild for so many years), and then they might hire the guy who hurt Toronto's rebuild with his own impatience :laugh:

Asher

Jun 23, 2007

steve-urkel.gif

Moonlapse Vertigo

Katz n' MacT BFFs
Oct 2, 2009
Edmonton
Even if Burke joins and fails erm, spectacularly... big deal. He'll probably make the Flames just mediocre enough to finish ahead of us every season. Sigh.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Burke would never have been able to clear out Lowe if he had been hired by the Oilers, general managers typically aren't given the power to fire their bosses. Same goes for Ken King down in Calgary who is president of the organization.

Lowe has a job until he decides to retire, or Katz fires him.

I have to feel bad for Flames fans though, they think they are going into a rebuild(hypocritically hoping for it after trashing the Oiler's for their rebuild for so many years), and then they might hire the guy who hurt Toronto's rebuild with his own impatience :laugh:

Ya maybe it was a pipe dream. But I just wanted Lowe gone. It appears MacT has been able to act independently thus far.

Its always funny to read how the Flames rebuild will be soooo much different than the Oilers or Chicago or Pitt or Washington, like Feaster found some magical rebuild potion he is yet to unleash in which hell find elite talents in the 5-10 range and then trade for elite players and then sign elite players to great contracts and all is good in 2 years.

I never "cheered" for losing, but I was always a realist and knew that rebuilds are like cough medicine, the more gross it tastes, the better off youll be. And trying to excel the rebuild is extremely counter productive. There are very few GMs I would have trusted to try and speed up the rebuild for the Oilers in 10-11. because speeding up a rebuild means large gambles and need for a talented GM

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Burke is a hell of a lot brighter than Kevin (6 rings) Lowe.

If true.....then its advantage Flames.

Burke gets things done. HE has been away from the canucks for 8 years or so and his influence on the team is still felt. Maple leafs are a better team now then when he took over and he won a cup with the ducks. Lowe's rings are as a player and not a manager

I would take Burke over Mact and Lowe in a heartbeat

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
According to a Flames fan on the main board Calgary turned their prospect pool around before they officially started their rebuild. It also apparently won't take nearly as long as Edmonton's either.

They really have no idea what they are in for down there. I hope Hall and co. make them their ***** for the next 10+ years.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He'd ice a team of **** kickers and our team would get knocked around while MacT would add Toby Petersen type players to counter it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
According to a Flames fan on the main board Calgary turned their prospect pool around before they officially started their rebuild. It also apparently won't take nearly as long as Edmonton's either.

They really have no idea what they are in for down there. I hope Hall and co. make them their ***** for the next 10+ years.

They had better players to move and have some solid vets in guys like Glencross and Giordano. That said I'm not sure just how long their rebuilding plan is just like ours seems to be never ending.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
They had better players to move and have some solid vets in guys like Glencross and Giordano. That said I'm not sure just how long their rebuilding plan is just like ours seems to be never ending.

They had better vets to move but got comparable returns. They're rocking a worse Day 1 line-up right now than I'd say we did in 2009-2010, which is pretty rough.

Monahan's a great add, but he's not Taylor Hall and they've really got no reason to expect Eberle out of Baertschi or Klimchuk at this stage.

The Perfect Human*

They had better vets to move but got comparable returns. They're rocking a worse Day 1 line-up right now than I'd say we did in 2009-2010, which is pretty rough.

Monahan's a great add, but he's not Taylor Hall and they've really got no reason to expect Eberle out of Baertschi or Klimchuk at this stage.

Not that it's necessarily going to happen, but there's lots of parallels between a pre-draft Eberle and Klimchuk.

As for Baertschi - very similar package to Eberle and was brought in 2nd year post-draft with mixed results in CGY (0.5 point/game).

He's about to head into his 3rd post-draft season (which is the same time we brought Ebs in) and should likely see a fixed role in the top-6 similar to Ebs. No reason to be surprised if he puts up Eberle-like rookie numbers (40-50pts in top-line role).

As for Monahan - I have no idea what to expect, especially if CGY wants to bring him in as an 18-year old. I'd expect Couturier like results.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Not that it's necessarily going to happen, but there's lots of parallels between a pre-draft Eberle and Klimchuk.

As for Baertschi - very similar package to Eberle and was brought in 2nd year post-draft with mixed results in CGY (0.5 point/game).

He's about to head into his 3rd post-draft season (which is the same time we brought Ebs in) and should likely see a fixed role in the top-6 similar to Ebs. No reason to be surprised if he puts up Eberle-like rookie numbers (40-50pts in top-line role).

As for Monahan - I have no idea what to expect, especially if CGY wants to bring him in as an 18-year old. I'd expect Couturier like results.

Klimchuk compares well to Eberle pre-draft or in the season that followed (world juniors omitted), but the issue with the comparison between Klimchuk and what Eberle is now - is it was not reasonable to project Eberle to what he became. I honestly don't feel like Klimchuk is as smart of a player, but time will tell.

Baertschi's progression stalled, Eberle's never did. Eberle has outperformed him at every level at the same age. Difficult to say Baertschi will be or has a strong chance of becoming a 34 goal scorer in the NHL within two years.

Don't get me wrong - it's an okay pre-rebuild start for the Flames - but there probably are not superstars in that grouping - just strong supporting players. If it were me, I'd be patient with Monahan and reserve myself at drafting in the top-2 for the next two years or so. If they more smartly manage their player acquisition at the professional level, they may rebuild faster.

I have no faith in either Jay Feaster or Brian Burke to accomplish that for them.

The Perfect Human*

Klimchuk compares well to Eberle pre-draft or in the season that followed (world juniors omitted), but the issue with the comparison between Klimchuk and what Eberle is now - is it was not reasonable to project Eberle to what he became. I honestly don't feel like Klimchuk is as smart of a player, but time will tell.

Baertschi's progression stalled, Eberle's never did. Eberle has outperformed him at every level at the same age. Difficult to say Baertschi will be or has a strong chance of becoming a 34 goal scorer in the NHL within two years.

Yeah, that jump Eberle made in his 2nd season was quite astronomical.

I wouldn't call Baertschi's season last year "stalling" though. He moved up to a new level of play, and performed quite well in it (near point/game in AHL, 0.5 point/game in NHL).

I guess you're using absolute age, while I'm using post-draft years, in comparing their performances.

Even then, their 19yr old seasons were quite similar (Baertschi was actually on pace to outscore Eberle).

Their 20yr old seasons were quite different - you're right. Eberle hit it off with Hall and Horcoff and put up superior production numbers. That being said Baertschi never really got the NHL look that Ebs did.

Again, I don't see why Flames fans can't have the same expectations for Baertschi that Oiler fans had for Ebs pre-11/12 (when he blew up)

The Perfect Human*

Don't get me wrong - it's an okay pre-rebuild start for the Flames - but there probably are not superstars in that grouping - just strong supporting players. If it were me, I'd be patient with Monahan and reserve myself at drafting in the top-2 for the next two years or so. If they more smartly manage their player acquisition at the professional level, they may rebuild faster.

I have no faith in either Jay Feaster or Brian Burke to accomplish that for them.

I'd compare it to the 07-09 mini-rebuild for the Oilers thus far. Guys like Monahan, Baertschi, Klimchuk have that Gagner-Eberle-MPS vibe to them for me. Hell - even Jankowski feels like a Riley Nash pick to me. They haven't had a chance to grab that Hall/RNH/Yakupov talent yet - but likely will in the next 3 years. Quite a crop for them to pick from.

Reinhart/Ekblad, McDavid, Benson

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Brian Burke doesn't understand the concept of a rebuild. He'll probably deal away their first rounder for next to nothing.

And as long as the flames have a bunch of nobodies in net and pylons on the blue line they'll be finishing behind us for awhile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad