Brian Burke "floored" by dismissal as Toronto GM

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Burke is under contract to the Leafs for the rest of this season and next, and he fully intends to help his former assistant, Dave Nonis, as a consultant, a job he says he suggested to chairman Larry Tanenbaum and Anselmi when they relieved him of his GM duties.

"I think I can help," he said. "I've been at this for a while. I have my name on the Stanley Cup. I'll do whatever I can. I wish Dave [Nonis] and the Toronto Maple Leafs all the success in the world," he said. "I'll do my best to help them win."

Good for him.

I was expected a war of words to come out of this but Burke took the high road. He's taking it a lot better than I thought he would.

Good stuff.

Penalty Kill Icing*

Exit interview (or PC was it? I forgot) at noon tomorrow.

Reported by TSN1050

Bleed Blue and White

Oct 4, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Good for Burkie. I have nothing but respect for him. I really hope that he gets another job wherever he wants one someday. I'm disappointed that his tenure here didn't work out the way we (and no doubt he) wanted it to, but he's still a fantastic hockey mind and he deserves to be recognized as such. The way this went down, it wasn't right. I think MLSE is the only organization in pro sports that would have handled this situation in the manner that they did.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Classy guy. Getting fired sucks. I didn't like how he never committed to either a full retool or a full rebuild, so hopefully Nonis is a little more decisive than him. I hope his "senior advisor" position or whatever isn't just fluff -- at the end of the day, he's one of the better trading GMs in the game today. I was never worried when I heard we made a trade with Burke at the helm.

Glad to see he's taking it in stride, but I wouldn't expect anything less from Old Man Burke. Hope he stays in Toronto and continues his charity/You Can Play work.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
It's too bad he never got the chance to finish what he started. Many may disagree, but I still believe given the chance he would have silenced the haters.

Bleed Blue and White

Oct 4, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
It's too bad he never got the chance to finish what he started. Many may disagree, but I still believe given the chance he would have silenced the haters.

I agree with you. I firmly believe, and time will tell if this is right, that when we are good again Burke's fingerprints will be all over the team. Just like in Vancouver.

K19*

It's weird how they're keeping him around. He and Nonis will still be in touch. It seems like nothing has changed.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Good for him.

I was expected a war of words to come out of this but Burke took the high road. He's taking it a lot better than I thought he would.

Good stuff.

Pull the wool from over your eyes and wake up.

It doesn't benefit Burke at all to bad mouth the organization, but you can be sure that the stubborn, proud man is pissed and probably full of negative things he wants to say about the organization.

Also - the role he's taken within the organization (senior advisor), is a phantom role designed to ensure Burke gets paid while the organization doesn't have to pay severance. He's not going to do a damn thing for the team, and they know that.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The cold hearted mentality of this type of corporate environment might haunt this organization down the road.

Two of the most successful and respected executives in the NHL in Pat Quinn and Brian Burke discarded like yesterday's trash under very questionable circumstances by MLSE in the last several years.

I'm sure other GMs have taken notice.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
It's weird how they're keeping him around. He and Nonis will still be in touch. It seems like nothing has changed.

Ayup. Which makes it seem like whatever reason they had to fire Burke was either a personal one, or one otherwise unrelated to hockey. Which does not instill much confidence in me moving forward under this ownership group.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The cold hearted mentality of this type of corporate environment might haunt this organization down the road.

Two of the most successful and respected executives in the NHL in Pat Quinn and Brian Burke discarded like yesterday's trash under very questionable circumstances by MLSE in the last several years.

I'm sure other GMs have taken notice.

There's 30 NHL jobs in the world as NHL GM.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

That was Burke's suggestion but at the PC, they made it pretty clear that he will be reporting to the BOG as a consultant and not the hockey operations side of things..

If MLSE wanted Burke influencing Nonis as GM they would have left him as Leafs President. I suppose they can't prevent Nonis from speaking to him, or even asking advice on a trade potential "if he would do it" but this will not be a daily occurrence either.

Burke is simply still around because he is still being paid by MLSE, but he will be collecting most of those cheques while sitting around at home, not coming into the office for work.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
That was Burke's suggestion but at the PC, they made it pretty clear that he will be reporting to the BOG as a consultant and not the hockey operations side of things..

If MLSE wanted Burke influencing Nonis as GM they would have left him as Leafs President. I suppose they can't prevent Nonis from speaking to him, or even asking advice on a trade potential "if he would do it" but this will not be a daily occurrence either.

Burke is simply still around because he is still being paid by MLSE, but he will be collecting most of those cheques while sitting around at home, not coming into the office for work.

Absolutely, if Burke gets an offer from someone else they'll let him go. They aren't going to pay him and watch him go somewhere else though.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Poor Brian and his 15 million dollars.The same Brian who with the former Premier of Bc cambell threatened the tax payer by saying if the canucks were not given a tax brake they could move?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad