Podcast (Audio) Brian Burke - A Life in Hockey with Stephen Brunt

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Our drafting with Burke as our GM was bad but he did make moves that where important to us winning the Cup so I will always be happy he was our GM

Reactions: Paul4587

Chelle

YNWA
Feb 27, 2009
Sweden
In retrospect, if Johnson was picked and panned out like the top2 defenseman that he was supposed to develop into, maybe they don’t draft Mark Mitera and they pick up anyone else.

The thing about Carlyle ‘hating’ American kids is so funny, but typical at the same time. F’ing Dinosaur. I always thought back then that Carlyle hated European players if they didn’t ‘buy’ into their system. The list really decent: Besides Fedorov and Sykora, you had Prospal, Havelid, Salei, Vishnevski, Chistov, Gerber.. Only one they kept was Pahlsson because he played a gritty two-way game

I still don’t understand why years later as to getting rid of Salei and Vishnevski. I still prefer them over O’Donnell, but it’s been many years.

I liked Salei but Vishnievski over O’Donnell? He was really good in our cup year, calm, efficient and great positionally. Vishnevski was out of the league 08 not that old, he was no more then a bottom paring guy

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The most terrifying aspect is that the Samueli’s vetoed a trade due to such an insignificant amount of money for them.

Just unreal.
But I’m not surprised at all by it

none of the rest is much of a surprise. Burke was a win now no nonsense type of guy. I’m not surprised to hear that Frederov was out of control. I pretty much assumed that was why he was moved

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I’m somewhat surprised he thought Federov had a poor work ethic. His defensive play in Detroit was known to be stellar and just always suspected he was a hard worker - Maybe was different in Anaheim. Either way, no harm-no foul since clearly his best days were behind him - and Anaheim acquired Beauch in return.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I’m somewhat surprised he thought Federov had a poor work ethic. His defensive play in Detroit was known to be stellar and just always suspected he was a hard worker - Maybe was different in Anaheim. Either way, no harm-no foul since clearly his best days were behind him - and Anaheim acquired Beauch in return.

And Marchant

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts

I believe there is a thread on Fedorov in the History of Hockey that I participated in that mentioned his slacking off-ice issues.

I remember being so excited to see him come here as a teen. Hype never amounted to much.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I don’t think Burke was calling out his work ethic as much as his lust for the party life and night clubs.

But to be honest there have probably been a lot of guys that have partied crazy hard and still had successful careers. And some of them are probably known as “hard working” players

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I don’t think Burke was calling out his work ethic as much as his lust for the party life and night clubs.

But to be honest there have probably been a lot of guys that have partied crazy hard and still had successful careers. And some of them are probably known as “hard working” players
Yeah I think that’s more likely. In that reddit thread, they mentioned how pissed Burke was when Perry and Lupul showed up late to the bus on a game day. Seemed like he had zero tolerance for that kind of stuff.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Yeah I think that’s more likely. In that reddit thread, they mentioned how pissed Burke was when Perry and Lupul showed up late to the bus on a game day. Seemed like he had zero tolerance for that kind of stuff.
yeah, he may have had a good work ethic, but his best days were behind him. if he was still a top player, they probably would've been more lenient about the partying stuff given he was still producing. but his entire ducks tenure was disappointing and he got off to a terrible start in 05-06 before he was dealt

Reactions: Mr Rogers

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2