Brière, Lecavalier or Ryder?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If I had to pick the a player from that list based on skills and intangibles, I'd go with Vinny. His contract is pretty bad though, still can't believe he got signed for that much while still being guaranteed cash until the end of time by TB.

All things considered, I'd have taken Ryder. Did well next to Plekanec, is a pure scorer which we lacked, is in a familiar market/team.

That being said, I would have added the other option people wanted, Jagr. Absolute best contract and best player.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Briere has been producing recently and is better than a lot of Habs players offensively.

Defensively though he sucks but Bergevin knew what he was getting.

It's not a good contract but I can live with it.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not saying he was a good investment. Just saying the others are worse.

Playing on other teams, with different players, with a different system. Not considering quality of linemates or opponents, and situations.
Not sure that it's the best way to compare them.

That being said, I haven't been disappointed by Briere. He has performed exactly how I thought he would. Precisely why I questioned management earlier this year when they scratched him saying they expected more of him.

eFFeRR

Major League Hockey
Dec 11, 2013
Where is the option for None?!?

But if I HAAAD to choose.. Jagr... if I HAAAADDD to choose from this list.. Briere

Eagle Eye Cherry

guitar player
Feb 19, 2006
Montreal
None of them. All these guys are overpaid, overrated bums. They're all washed up and only care about money. Especially Lecavalier. The guy makes ridiculous salary and gives subpar production. Terrible dollar value.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I hated the Briere signing. Age had caught up with him and small. Just what we needed, another small forward with declining production at that. I also did not get where he fit. Word was he was better as a center than as a wing, and we had depth there.

It was worse when he started playing for us because he was quickly on the lower lines and playing wing. It looked like MB had just signed this guy without figuring out with MT where he was going to fit in the line-up. Really bizarre.

I still don't like the signing but I have to give Briere credit for being a professional. He cant be happy having been used as he has, but he is always smiling and positive on camera and I have not heard or seen him remotely discontented. Nothing of any significance reported by the media about him being disgruntled either.

So despite him being ill-used and seeing limited time on ice, he has carried himself very professionally and has somehow gotten 13 goals.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
I expected better from you.

What do you want me to say? I honestly have no idea. I'd give him more of a shot, especially when he's been showing signs of life lately and battling hard.

Therrien loves leaning on the DD line and the Plekanec-Gionta duo.

I like Briere. Again, his contract makes me breathe heavily when I am reminded of how much he makes but he provides at times.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Well, the best option was 'none of the above'.

I was sort of hoping for Vinny, but not for 5 years. 3 or 4, I would probably have pulled the trigger. In retrospect, that would probably still have been a bad move! :laugh: But hey, I'm no GM and I know why!

Otherwise, it just didn't make sense to sign Briere. Was obvious back then, still obvious today.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
Voted Brière because he earns less than Vinny and his contract is shorter.

He's also a clutch player and a good teamate who stays positive and doesn't whine even when he's playing with plugs.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
There is a clear and obvious answer here, all things considered. I suspect, however, that pride will be the reason that said answer won't be clear, nor obvious!

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
The Brière signing is turning out to be descent for the Habs. It's not a steal by any means but it's good. He's producing for what he's being paid for while being relegated to third line minutes. He will also be valuable for us in the playoffs. Ryder is a bit of a cancer, the Vinny contract and injury history is terrible. Bergevin make the right decision.

HABS win CUPS*

Voted Brière because he earns less than Vinny and his contract is shorter.

He's also a clutch player and a good teamate who stays positive and doesn't whine even when he's playing with plugs.

i think he can be big for us in the playoffs this year - his game is being raised

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
What do you want me to say? I honestly have no idea. I'd give him more of a shot, especially when he's been showing signs of life lately and battling hard.

Therrien loves leaning on the DD line and the Plekanec-Gionta duo.

I like Briere. Again, his contract makes me breathe heavily when I am reminded of how much he makes but he provides at times.

Much better! Yes. Briere should play a lot more. Hopefully he will in the playoffs.

Tacos

Wheeeee
Feb 26, 2012
Briere but than again, I'm basing it on his past historical playoff ability and hoping to see it come this year

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Should have a neither option.

Therrien had a very productive Ryder on the team last season and he refused to use him properly.

Therrien has a potentially productive Briere on the team this season and he has refused to use him properly.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Should have a neither option.

Therrien had a very productive Ryder on the team last season and he refused to use him properly.

Therrien has a potentially productive Briere on the team this season and he has refused to use him properly.
Did everyone really forget how terrible Ryder was at the end of year and playoffs? The guy's a total floater and soft as butter. He's got no vision or awareness whatsoever. All he's got is a wicked shot... He simply isn't a good hockey player at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad