Injury Report: Brett Pesce

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I'm no doctor (well, not that kind any way), so forgive the ignorance, but if it is not a big deal, why did Svech get shut down?

ACL injuries (and other tendon and ligament injuries) come in different grades- Grade 1 is overstretched and maybe fiber separation but no outright tear, rest and rehab only. Grade 2 is a partial tear, which can be healed with rest and rehab, but can be sped along with surgery if bad enough, Grade 3 is a total break. Torn in two pieces, surgery required.

And even within Grades 1 and 2, those, there's a lot of difference in severity. Half millimeter tear is a grade 2, but it's also a grade 2 when there's only half a millimeter hanging on.

If Pesce has a Grade 1 or mild Grade 2 injury, he could be back in a few weeks or less. Svech was the full outright tear. Snapped in two pieces, had to be sewn together and totally immobilized.

Ligaments are particularly fun things to injure. I had a fairly bad Grade 2 ankle sprain a couple years ago, and it took well over a year for that sucker to get back to normal. No surgery though, and no NHL docs.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I was basing all of my comments on my grade 2 MCL tear (~75%) that I had in beer league a couple of years ago.

I couldn't explain the specifics of skating with ACL vs MCL injuries but keep commenting on his skating afterwards seeming to be a good sign just because of how unstable my knee was. Obviously I'm no pro athlete and didn't have the adrenaline of playing in the NHL playoffs but I'm not going to let that stop me from commenting like I have something useful to add ha.

I remember watching playoff games 2 years ago post-injury and wincing every time someone went hard into a board battle thinking their knees were just going to give out.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
This is why those doctors that try to guess the injuries are kinda silly. Granted, I'd heard anything from knee, to ankle/achilles, to groin. I hope the timeline ends up as optimistic as they think.

Reactions: geehaad and zman77

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
I thought high ankle sprain from the beginning, but everyone followed that one quack Dr. and argued about whether or not he could play on a torn ACL.

This is not to toot my own horn as i don’t know shit, just that unless you are the Canes Dr. your arm chair diagnoses means f*** all.

Me too!

1714587790431.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad